Lack of Sleep

Options
What do you do workout wise on days that you had very little sleep. Last night I could not sleep at all felt like I was up all night. Anyways do you go ahead and workout as normal or take the day off? I went ahead and worked out today but I am afraid I am going to regreat it later and be suffering from major exhaustion later on today when I still have to be up and going.

Replies

• sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If I am exhausted from lack of sleep, I will try and get a very light workout in (I work out around 5:15 am every morning.) Some days, it doesn't happen, so I work out in the afternoon instead. I figure if I just walk on the treadmill for 30 mins, it is more calories burned then lying in bed, right? :ohwell:
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    What do you do workout wise on days that you had very little sleep. Last night I could not sleep at all felt like I was up all night. Anyways do you go ahead and workout as normal or take the day off? I went ahead and worked out today but I am afraid I am going to regreat it later and be suffering from major exhaustion later on today when I still have to be up and going.

This is an ongoing theme in my life. The thing to do is, workout as normal and try to go to bed earlier. Always remember when you don't sleep well, you will be tired tomorrow and not want to workout... you might eventually say "i am not going to workout today to tired" then it will happen again... and again... and again... before you know it you're not working out anymore. Sleep is very important.
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I got about 3 hours of sleep on Saturday night - sick toddler
    Sunday we went on a couple bike rides and I did p90 sweat. I found that pushing myself made me more alert during the day. I was exhausted by 9pm but I just went to bed a little early.
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    I have a subscription to Women's Health Magazine and I read an article called When to Skip the Gym - lack of sleep and being sick were two of the five reasons listed as ok to skip the gym. Hope this helps.
  • Jessica5000
    Options
    I used to workout in the mornings. Up at 6am and did a 30 minute work out DVD. But I found I'd be so stressed trying to get to bed by 930pm to get up, I'd end up stressed out trying to fall asleep and then I wouldn't get up in the morning as I was dead tired and when I do get up, I feel sick the whole workout. I especially have crappy sleeps Sunday nights as I'm off my sleep schedule all weekend. So for my sanity, I switched to after work work outs. I do them as soon as I get home, like 530pm, before dinner. Last night I got about 5 hrs of sleep. Went to bed at 10pm and layed there till 1230am. errrr. So I never would have gotten up at 6am but I find as the day goes on, I feel better and I will do my 530pm work out. And tonight... I will sleep like a baby. Working out makes you sleep better. So just do it.
  • Lovelystrumpet
    Options
    I just decrease the reps of my normal morning routine if I feel shattered when I wake up, and then maybe miss out my lunchtime one altogether and have a light walk in the evening before getting an early night. Occasionally it makes me feel better to have done at least something, even if I am really tired. :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    depends how crap i feel. I havent slept properly for the last 3 nights, but yesterday i still tried to go for a run, but it nearly bloody killed me and i felt horrible.

If im a bit tired, thats one thing, but i didnt even try today.
  • pjfmaui73
    pjfmaui73 Posts: 408
    Options
    I just push through and try not to sit down too long (b/c I'll fall asleep). I'm usually lacking sleep b/c I work second shift (better than nights...worked those for 10+ years..talk about lacking sleep) and my youngest gets up at 5 am. I also have 2 other kids. Anyway, I find I just have to push through. I wish you the best!!!
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I still go and work out to keep in the habit. But if I'm feeling significantly exhausted, I'll do something fairly light like walking on the treadmill, riding the stationary bike, or a low resistance on the elliptical. I don't try to run, do intervals, or lift heavy weights if I'm already very tired. Usually a light workout actually makes me feel a bit more refreshed and have some energy that I didn't beforehand.