Calorie deficit confusion....

Options
I don't understand the whole "calorie deficit" thing. I'm supposed to burn more calories than I eat to create the deficit. But when I log my calories, it just makes my required calories for the day go up. And if I'm too far below the daily intake requirements, I can't complete my diary. I seriously don't get it. I've checked the blog, and I've searched online. I seriously don't know how this is supposed to work.

Please help!!

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The target MFP gives you when you signed up includes your deficit. You burn calories all day, everyday. These get factored in as well. So when you log exercise, you get additional calories to consume to keep your deficit consistent (plus it will help fuel your workouts). Most people start with eating about 50% of those, because MFP calorie estimates for exercise tend to be on the higher side. Give that 4-6 weeks and re-evaluate. Does that help?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Unless you are set at maintenance, my fitness pal calculates a deficit for you and that deficit is reflected in your daily calorie goal. If you exercise, those calories would make the deficit greater because you've burned more, and therefore if you want to keep the rate of loss consistent, you can eat those exercise calories back.

If you are unable to compete your diary, it's because you have logged 1000 or less net calories, and that is dangerous if sustained over a long time. Your body needs more to function.

Are you using a scale to track your food? How are you calculating calories burned?
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    1ProudHappyWife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am not using a scale, just scanning barcodes and adding servings. I also use whatever MFP says about calories burned for whatever workout I do. :/
  • 1ProudHappyWife
    1ProudHappyWife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    The target MFP gives you when you signed up includes your deficit. You burn calories all day, everyday. These get factored in as well. So when you log exercise, you get additional calories to consume to keep your deficit consistent (plus it will help fuel your workouts). Most people start with eating about 50% of those, because MFP calorie estimates for exercise tend to be on the higher side. Give that 4-6 weeks and re-evaluate. Does that help?

It does. Thank you both. :smile:
  • Jay_Maddy
    Jay_Maddy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    If you have the time check out Feeding Fitness on YouTube.
    I learned some much when I was first starting out..