General Rant

Options
<rant> why is it so freaking impossible to find movie drink sizes and popcorn serve sizes?!!! Grrr! There is no standard, and a medium can vary between cinemas/countries - when will they figure out consumers are getting smarter and want this information?! Or is it that NZ is yet to catch up! Frustrated doesn't even begin to describe how long I have spent online searching for an answer, Gah! </rant>

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Email the movie chain you go to. They should be able to help. For now you can just estimate.
  • fireguy262
    fireguy262 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm....popcorn
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If I was going to rant about the cinema it would be why do people feel the need to munch mindlessly through a movie ...just watch the film and the price of concessions

But a diet drink of pre bottled rather than tap, bring your own food
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I bring all my own drinks and snacks to the cinema so don't have that problem
    Otherwise would use a generic entry with closest match
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If I was going to rant about the cinema it would be why do people feel the need to munch mindlessly through a movie ...just watch the film and the price of concessions

This. I take my own drink.
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Email the movie chain you go to. They should be able to help. For now you can just estimate.

Yep thats what I did in the end, awaiting a reply. Drinks are easy enough to estimate size and its easy to find nutritional info elsewhere but popcorn is really difficult because every cinema and different countries have different sizes.

To estimate you need to know roughly the volume the box holds. What is a medium here may be a small somewhere else. We don't have the large buckets that overseas have. I thought about taking the box home and popping my own to have a guess but felt a bit weird doing that - don't want to be the weird lady taking the rubbish out in the handbag :p

Anyone in NZ know what a Reading cinema or Hoyts Medium volume might be?
    I guessed around 5 cups popped?
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    fireguy262 wrote: »
    mmmmmmm....popcorn

...yes it was!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I agree, do what my kids do, sneak food and drink in.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    My local cinemas don't allow taking food and drink in - you have to be sneaky or the snack police nab you lol
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

I never got the appeal of eating during a movie. I can never pay attention if I'm eating. I haven't eaten snacks at the movies since I was like 12.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

I never got the appeal of eating during a movie. I can never pay attention if I'm eating. I haven't eaten snacks at the movies since I was like 12.

Same.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    lalabrucey wrote: »

Yep thats what I did in the end, awaiting a reply. Drinks are easy enough to estimate size and its easy to find nutritional info elsewhere but popcorn is really difficult because every cinema and different countries have different sizes.

To estimate you need to know roughly the volume the box holds. What is a medium here may be a small somewhere else. We don't have the large buckets that overseas have. I thought about taking the box home and popping my own to have a guess but felt a bit weird doing that - don't want to be the weird lady taking the rubbish out in the handbag :p

Anyone in NZ know what a Reading cinema or Hoyts Medium volume might be?
    I guessed around 5 cups popped?

5 cups popped is not very much popcorn. I am thinking that would be more of a kid's pack size in the US.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at movie theatres. I know I'm the odd guy out on this but I'm not a snacker. I let my kiddos munch on the popcorn, candy and sodas. They need the extra calories. I don't. If I'm not dieting, I may grab a beer.
  • MarziDeThrall
    MarziDeThrall Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It's harder for men to sneak snacks in...no purse. I guess you could sneak in a pack of sunflower seeds or something, but good luck hiding a bottle of water, lol.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Half the fun of going to the movies is sneaking in food and drinks. Take a BIG purse.
  • tryasimighty
    tryasimighty Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    They dont want you to know or you wont buy them.... UK Odeon sight says a "large sweet popcorn" is 4207 calories!!! Having been to America a UK large is considerably smaller than a USA one :)
  • DizzyMissIzzy
    DizzyMissIzzy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm weird, but I actually love bringing in a baggy of pomegranate seeds! You get the satisfying crunch that satisfies the snacker in you while simultaneously getting a burst of juicy delicious vitamins and antioxidants. What can they sell at a theatre that does that!? :D
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I rarely snack but, my theater nearest my home is an Amc theater and their cals are available online and on mfp. I typically bring in a bottle of water now because I am not paying 3.50 for a 20 oz or 6 for a liter.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was concerned the first time I went to a movie after starting MFP. I opted to not get snacks or drinks. I thought it would be difficult because I love popcorn but it really wasn't. I just watched the movie and ate after I left.
    1. Eat before or after the movie and don't buy snacks or a drink. It isn't that long to go without eating or drinking.
    2. Smuggle in your own food or drink.
    3. Make your best guess at the serving sizes and move on.
    4. Ask the theater how much their popcorn or drink containers hold.
    5. Bring a scale or something with you.
    6. Bring home the containers and measure how much fits in them.