Trying to lose 25-30lbs

Options
I am trying to lose 25-30lbs to get me to my goal weight of 107lbs. I am currently consuming 1200 calories a day and will do around 30 minutes of cardio twice a week (unfortunately due to my job that is all I have time for) is there anything else I can do?

Replies

• VCLanc
    VCLanc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It looks like we are in the same weight ballpark. Today's weight is 138 lbs. I joined weight watchers (WW) online last week and am aiming for 122 lbs. I am using both the WW and My Fitness Pal (MFP) app. I have found if I don't get near my calories for the day (per MFP app), I don't lose weight. Perhaps my body thinks I'm starving??? Also, make sure you are drinking enough water. I keep a 24 oz Tervis container filled with water with me all the time and use Dasani Drops to flavor it. I aim for 3-4 glasses of water from this container per day. MFP app also has me set for 1200 calories, though I am only trying to get to 122 lbs. (I think I'm older than you - 48 yr old tomorrow - and in menopause so my metabolism has slowed incredibly!!).
  • VCLanc
    VCLanc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Let me be more clear-when I said near my calories, I meant if I wasn't getting AT LEAST 1000-1100 calories per day I don't seem to lose the weight.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight with what you are currently doing?
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    VCLanc wrote: »
    It looks like we are in the same weight ballpark. Today's weight is 138 lbs. I joined weight watchers (WW) online last week and am aiming for 122 lbs. I am using both the WW and My Fitness Pal (MFP) app. I have found if I don't get near my calories for the day (per MFP app), I don't lose weight. Perhaps my body thinks I'm starving??? Also, make sure you are drinking enough water. I keep a 24 oz Tervis container filled with water with me all the time and use Dasani Drops to flavor it. I aim for 3-4 glasses of water from this container per day. MFP app also has me set for 1200 calories, though I am only trying to get to 122 lbs. (I think I'm older than you - 48 yr old tomorrow - and in menopause so my metabolism has slowed incredibly!!).

Starvation mode is a very common myth- it's completely untrue. Your body will NOT hold on to fat because you're eating too few calories. If you're not losing weight you're consuming more calories than you burn (which could be for a number of reasons). Are you logging accurately and consistently using a food scale?

Also, 1000-1100 calories a day is far too low. 1200 is the minimum recommended daily calorie intake- if you consistently eat less than this then you're setting yourself up for all sorts of health problems.

OP- what you're doing at the moment sounds like a great plan. 1200 is very low so do make sure that you eat your exercise calories back (50% is a general rule of thumb, as calorie burns are often overestimated). Make sure you log your calories and use a food scale and you'll be fine :)

• thatlittlebit
    thatlittlebit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Im exactly the same as you and same goal. How is it going so far? I'm losing incredibly slowly (well at least it feels slow) 5.8 lbs since January 9th, but at least I'm losing.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    When within 25 pounds of goal, one should aim for .5 pound/loss a week. It will be very slow. It will be frustrating. But given time it will work.
  • ellieliam9796
    ellieliam9796 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    Yes I have lost 8lbs but it seems to have stopped now
  • KrisiAnnH
    Options

how often do you weight yourself? Have you lost weight within the last 3 weeks? If so, then you just need to continue on with what you're doing. Weight loss isn't linear
  • ellieliam9796
    Options
    I'm abit obsessed with my weight and I weigh myself nearly every day I know I shouldn't but I just end up doing it. I've lost 8lbs in just over a month
    KrisiAnnH wrote: »

how often do you weight yourself? Have you lost weight within the last 3 weeks? If so, then you just need to continue on with what you're doing. Weight loss isn't linear

• thatlittlebit
    thatlittlebit Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm abit obsessed with my weight and I weigh myself nearly every day I know I shouldn't but I just end up doing it. I've lost 8lbs in just over a month

That's a great loss!

Do you use an app like happy scale which balances out the fluctuations in weight?
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Happy scale is awesome! I recommend it.
  • ellieliam9796
    Options

That's a great loss!

Do you use an app like happy scale which balances out the fluctuations in weight?

No but I shall try it thank you :)
  • KrisiAnnH
    Options

8lbs in a month is the maximum recommended rate of loss! (2lbs a week is the most you should be aiming for). Congrats on your loss! You're doing great already.

Just remember, if you're weighing yourself everyday you'll see fluctuations from one day to the next- sometimes up to as much as 5lbs. You wont have gained 5lbs overnight- it'll be water weight. So don't panic if that does happen. As ThatLittleBit suggested weight trend apps are a good idea if you weigh everyday :)
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am trying to lose 25-30lbs to get me to my goal weight of 107lbs. I am currently consuming 1200 calories a day and will do around 30 minutes of cardio twice a week (unfortunately due to my job that is all I have time for) is there anything else I can do?

How tall are you?
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do not let people tell you that "starvation mode" is a myth. My husband (6'4" linebacker build) was desperate to loose weight and for many years under ate. when he finally got with a nutritionist (before websites like this existed) and logged his food, he found that he was eating 1400 to 1600 calories a day, all healthy foods. she told him no less than 1800, and had him shoot for 2200 a day. He lost 30 lbs in 3 months, eating more than he had before, keeping it healthy.

That said, starvation mode doesn't happen in a day. But chronically under eating will send your body into a tailspin.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You won't want to lose any faster than you are in the long run, and even in the short run if you value not being too hungry ;) You are losing the maximum suggested for folks far larger than you.

Just start pacing yourself and figuring out how many calories you'll have in maintenance. When you get there, that's what you'll have every day for the foreseeable future, so start thinking about whether what you are doing now transitions well into that.

Also, 107 is really teeny, so I hope you are petite! Most actresses, etc, who say they weigh that lie, you know ;)
  • ellieliam9796
    Options
    You won't want to lose any faster than you are in the long run, and even in the short run if you value not being too hungry ;) You are losing the maximum suggested for folks far larger than you.

Just start pacing yourself and figuring out how many calories you'll have in maintenance. When you get there, that's what you'll have every day for the foreseeable future, so start thinking about whether what you are doing now transitions well into that.

Also, 107 is really teeny, so I hope you are petite! Most actresses, etc, who say they weigh that lie, you know ;)

I'm 5"1 so yes I'm tiny hehe healthy range for me is 90lbs to 137 :)