looking for runners, I'm training for a half

Options
Hello all,
I am currently training for a half marathon that is July 31st. I just got fitted for decent running shoes, and I can currently run 5 miles without stopping, with about a 12:30 per mile pace.

I need some help setting goals to help me along the way to reach my big goal of half marathon in under 3 hours. Does anyone have a training plan they recommend, or even weekly mileage suggestions? I'm pretty much a newbie to consistently running and I'm kind of sporadic with length and frequency of runs.

Also, how does strength training fit into a training plan like this?

Replies

• angie_kins
    angie_kins Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    kikiboniki wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I am currently training for a half marathon that is July 31st. I just got fitted for decent running shoes, and I can currently run 5 miles without stopping, with about a 12:30 per mile pace.

I need some help setting goals to help me along the way to reach my big goal of half marathon in under 3 hours. Does anyone have a training plan they recommend, or even weekly mileage suggestions? I'm pretty much a newbie to consistently running and I'm kind of sporadic with length and frequency of runs.

I ran a marathon in 2007 and trained using Hal Higdon's training program, I loved it. Along the way I ran a few half marathons too. Here is a link to his half marathon training schedule. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

Check out the different options and see if one speaks to you. I wish you the best of luck!
  • seahorsepenguin
    seahorsepenguin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I found a great podcast for beginning runners called - Beginner Runner Village. The coach on the program also has a second one for more advanced runners called - Mojo for Running. She is a little dry, but is a very experienced runner with great tips. I also just started training for a half marathon and will be running July 10th. I started with some run/walking and then am doing things like spin classes to work on my speed and endurance. I am a very slow runner and am mainly focusing on just being able to finish the 1/2. I have been using the 21k running app so I don't have to do a lot of planning.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My half is March 12th. I just killed my 12 mile run today so I can say I am officially ready. What do you need help with?

Where is your starting point? This is an intermediate training plan. Our course is USATF certified and is a Boston qualifier. http://montgomerymarathon.com/images/docs/2016/halfmarathonplan.pdf

I was already running a lot of miles during the week including weekly Sat long run but I am no longer using the training plan. It is only 20 days so I all I need is keep in condition and do one or two more long runs before then.

edited to add: I strength train as well. I would not be able to do this without the strength training.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    My half is on may 8th, up to 7.5 miles as my longest run so far
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I second Hal Higdon's plans. He gives a set schedule of 3 running days per week for the Novice 1 along with strength training days and cross training days. For the Wednesday, he says you can do a run instead of cross training, but I'd suggest cross training. Adding in a fourth day of running turns out to be quite a lot, from my experience.

You have plenty of time to train! Good luck and enjoy!
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You only need a 13 minute pace to hit that three hour mark, so you should be good to go there.

I'm half way through an 8 week training plan for a half on March 13. We started with 5 mile runs, adding a mile a week until we hit 11, then back off to 8, then the race. We add some speed/hill work once a week and a couple of easy runs in during the week. Obviously we're increasing week to week, but it's a tad over 20 miles a week right now.

Strength, especially squatting heavy with free weights, has helped my speed a lot (dropped from 13:30 to 12:30 pace in about two months). It's also helped my knee problems -- apparently my muscles were imbalanced, and the balanced workout of the squats has rectified that.
  • salsup317
    salsup317 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Add miles slowly to prevent injury, and definitely cross train! Spinning and yoga have helped the most with my running, outside of just being consistent with putting in the miles. You've got lots of time, which is good, and your already at your speed you are looking for. As you add the miles you will want to make sure you can maintain the pace. Make sure you taper about a week and a half to two weeks out from your race, you legs will be fresh for the big day. Good luck!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Half in April,
    Using this program and I like it's simplicity:
    http://teamu.org/training/halfmarathon/14week/intermediate

The key to all the programmes is a weekly long run, building up to around 11 miles before the event.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    angie_kins wrote: »
    Hello all,

I ran a marathon in 2007 and trained using Hal Higdon's training program, I loved it. Along the way I ran a few half marathons too. Here is a link to his half marathon training schedule. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide

Check out the different options and see if one speaks to you. I wish you the best of luck!

I'll second the Hall Higdon training programs. They're simple, effective, and free. Just finished my 3rd half on that program last weekend. There's severAL choices so be sure to choose one that fits your current level. Best of luck! You can DO EET!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Hal Higdon plans. Having a structure will help you to feel like you're progressing.
    Resistance training has made a big difference to me, both in terms of preventing a minor injury recurring (and I haven't had another since I incorporated kettlebells and simple lifting, not anything really heavy but challenging for me) and also in improvements in running speed and endurance. Foam rolling helps to work out any stiffness.
    Consistency is key. It's always better to go for a run when you don't fancy it, or it's raining out, or you don't really have enough time, and to do what you can rather than skip a session totally.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I just took a look at the Hal Higdon plans and decided to start with the novice 1 level =) Plugged it into my google calendar and everything. I think structure will be helpful esp since I have an end goal in sight.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! I just took a look at the Hal Higdon plans and decided to start with the novice 1 level =) Plugged it into my google calendar and everything. I think structure will be helpful esp since I have an end goal in sight.

Keeping a plan and sticking to it is important but always listen to your body. If it wants to take a break, do so. Otherwise you may end up injured.

Good luck.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a full marathon! I just downloaded a "run trainer" app that's made by the same people as MFP! you put in your fitness level, and the date of your race, and it calculates everything for you, so that you know how often to run, and how far!
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You only need a 13 minute pace to hit that three hour mark, so you should be good to go there.

I'm half way through an 8 week training plan for a half on March 13. We started with 5 mile runs, adding a mile a week until we hit 11, then back off to 8, then the race. We add some speed/hill work once a week and a couple of easy runs in during the week. Obviously we're increasing week to week, but it's a tad over 20 miles a week right now.

Strength, especially squatting heavy with free weights, has helped my speed a lot (dropped from 13:30 to 12:30 pace in about two months). It's also helped my knee problems -- apparently my muscles were imbalanced, and the balanced workout of the squats has rectified that.

Yep! Good mix