Exercise Induced Headaches

2»

Replies

• redbod
    redbod Posts: 5 Member
    I had this until recently - usually resulting in migraines!Im still very careful and make sure i eat/drink before a work out and if i know its going to be a tough one i take nurofen before i start but non of these actually stopped the mugraines. However two things have occurred recently and i put it down to either one of these...
    Firstly i had my daith point pierced in my ear, i swear i felt a pressure release when it was done and while i still get headaches they are better. Secondly i had an incident while swimming where i had the worst most intense headache, it was short lived but left me shaky and neasous (?!) for a couple of days. Had it checked out and i am due a brain scan but wondering if worth it as i now dont get the exercise induced migraines any more!
    While you cant do the intense headache thingy i would definately recommend the piercing!
  • FitKat123
    FitKat123 Posts: 71 Member
    Are you perhaps straining your neck?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    are you on meds? if so could they be causing the blood pressure issues when exercising? I was on an acid reflux medicine and was getting those headaches when I did any kind of intense cardio/hiit. it was only then and not when I weight lifted. I have been off the meds for a few days(it was causing me many issues and it says blood pressure could be affected and my blood pressure is normal any other time) and since then I have not had the headaches from the exercise. I guess my blood pressure was getting too high from the exercise causing me headaches(my face would look sunburnt too and I could feel my pulse in my head). look up side effects of any meds you are on if any. if it can cause high blood pressure than talk to your dr and see what they say.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Headaches after working out can stem from a few things, most commonly dehydration, dips in blood sugar, tight muscles in your chest, neck and shoulders, or high blood pressure.* I would seriously recommend going to the doctor and talk about your situation. Just to rule out any potentially dangerous things i.e. the high blood pressure possibility.

*obviously there could be more factors than this, but these are the most common ones I've heard of. I'm not a doctor so it could be something related to your thyroid issue.
  • MedeaKay
    MedeaKay Posts: 17 Member
    I had the exact same issue for about 2 years. After trying everything my doctors could think of, one of them finally sent me to a physiatrist, who figured out that I have hypermobility. I then went to a physical therapist and learned what to do for it. The headaches have not entirely stopped, but they are more rare, and less intense, and I am continuing to make progress. Any chance this could be the problem? Are you super flexible? Just thought I would bring it up, since it's not something that most people think of.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    I would see a Dr to rule anything serious out.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    I know but you have probably considered this, but I had this problem, and it turns out that I simply cannot wear a workout headband or a sweat band of any kind when I work out. The tightness around my head give me a screaming shrieking migraine within about an hour. Again, I'm sure you've looked at this as a possibility but it never hurts to double check :-)
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    I'm wondering what your blood pressure is doing while you're exercising or have been exercising awhile. Readings at the doctor's office might be irrelevant if the only time something changes is during strenuous activity. Do you have a home BP cuff you can check your BP with while exercising?
  • claire0928
    claire0928 Posts: 73 Member
    I'm trained as an NP (but no longer practice) and I've suddenly been getting these headaches much more frequently so I talked with some of my colleagues and basically it's related to dilated blood vessels in the brain. If you never had them before, you should have an MRI or other imaging to make sure you don't have any structural abnormalities. I had a CAT scan not too long ago during an unrelated ER visit so they were comfortable just starting meds. I was prescribed indomethicin to take 30-60 min before my workouts but there are other drugs that can work as well. (I had already tried the 2 most common, ibuprofen and propranolol, when I finally gave in and sought treatment) I just picked up my rx so we'll see how it works. Next step is a neurologist. :(