Sodium

I've been going over on my sodium here alot lately and I'm not sure what to do. I'm sure its causing me to retain water. I've been drinking alot of water to flush out my system. Any other suggestions.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Look at my today food and my this week food and see how I have managed to keep sodium low most days. It's under 1000 mg today. The one day that I had a high-ish sodium intake remained below my target, but simply that divergence from my recent trend caused .6 lb of water retention this morning.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Thanks Jerome, How do I review your diary?
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I keep my sodium intake to 1500 mg/day or less, for just that reason: bloating/water retention and, for me, high blood pressure. I feel SO MUCH BETTER now. MFP is very handy for tracking sodium intake. I don't salt anything anymore. My taste buds have adjusted and now I can actually taste food again, instead of just salt. Basically all processed, boxed, pre-packaged foods --and especially restaurant food-- is high sodium. I was surprised how much sodium is in dairy products, too. Trying to keep excess sodium out of my body is actually harder than keeping sugar out of my body. It's in everything except real, whole, natural, minimally processed food. You're on the right track, basically, whatever your reason for limiting sodium intake.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited February 2016
    You could look at your own diary, see what foods you are eating that are high in sodium, and find acceptable alternatives for those or eat smaller servings of them.

The great thing about the data collected in the food diary is that you can look back through to see where you can make changes.
  • Jbell0213
    lisabinco wrote: »
    I keep my sodium intake to 1500 mg/day or less, for just that reason: bloating/water retention and, for me, high blood pressure. I feel SO MUCH BETTER now. MFP is very handy for tracking sodium intake. I don't salt anything anymore. My taste buds have adjusted and now I can actually taste food again, instead of just salt. Basically all processed, boxed, pre-packaged foods --and especially restaurant food-- is high sodium. I was surprised how much sodium is in dairy products, too. Trying to keep excess sodium out of my body is actually harder than keeping sugar out of my body. It's in everything except real, whole, natural, minimally processed food. You're on the right track, basically, whatever your reason for limiting sodium intake.

It's so true. We went to lunch today and that killed me. I tracked the sandwich and soup calories, but now that I look back tonight, the sodium was unreal. And that is true of diary, it just shocks me.
  • Jbell0213
    seska422 wrote: »
    You could look at your own diary, see what foods you are eating that are high in sodium, and find acceptable alternatives for those or eat smaller servings of them.

The great thing about the data collected in the food diary is that you can look back through to see where you can make changes.

Very true Seska. I tend to do better during the week when we don't eat out.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Less processed foods will help.