Bio impedance errors?

Options
I have a scale that determines body fat through your feet. I don't know how accurate it is. It always tells me I am obese. Today the fat% is lower and is reading in the overweight range. But, my weight is higher than it had been last week (not a lot, it fluctuates).

If I am more hydrated will the bf% read lower?

Replies

• neutroncore
    neutroncore Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're more hydrated that means more water contribute to your weight and body fat% will be less in percentage not the actual weight. Also keep in mind if you're exercising you may have more muscle mass that replaced some fat %.... keep positive thoughts. Also; usually scale body composition lack accuracy, but they give a brief idea of approximation, I would take the numbers conservatively, Wishing you good luck.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    This method of body mass measurement is not very accurate. The readings can vary wildly depending on many factors. Mine jumps up and down weekly. I really don't pay much attention to it other than from a very high level (I can see a general trend downwards over the past year and that is good).
  • Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    BIA is a pretty inaccurate way of measuring body fat... Water retention can easily influence the results. I'd recommend a dexascan
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    thanks. water retention reads as less fat?

I don't need to know my body fat %. I know it is too high. It is just a feature of the scale. It has been reading pretty steady though, until now. I have been sick the past week.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

It should be higher. Water inhibits the flow of electricity, similar to fat. The scale measures how easily electricity flows through your body.

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    lorib642 wrote: »

It should be higher. Water inhibits the flow of electricity, similar to fat. The scale measures how easily electricity flows through your body.

Oh, thanks