Help!! Need safe exercises for a herniated disc injury.

Options
Hello.I'm looking for safe exercises for an older herniated disc injury. I have been doing planks, squats, wall sits, lunges, push ups, some yoga (just begining), butt kicks or donkey kicks, jumping jacks, I'm noticing my lower back is sore in the mornings after I do these exercises. Not so.much with the yoga but the others. I have a short circuit monday to Friday plan I've been trying to follow but wondering if anyone has ideas or links to another easier program I can try. Please reply here or private message me. I want to exercise but loose motivation quick when my back gets sore.

Replies

• Mountainbum777
    Mountainbum777 Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would seek advice from your Dr. first of all before working out anymore. If it's simply a soreness however from exercising, stick to the yoga/aerobics until it subsides but if it's a painful soreness I would stop immediately until you see a Dr. and not risk further injury.

I've had plenty of injuries in the gym, and lower back issues from to heavy of weight and lacking form on deadlifts/squats. I always new weather it was pain or just soreness and regretted when I didn't listen to my body like I should...
  • meghanfleming855
    meghanfleming855 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I would seek advice from your Dr. first of all before working out anymore. If it's simply a soreness however from exercising, stick to the yoga/aerobics until it subsides but if it's a painful soreness I would stop immediately until you see a Dr. and not risk further injury.

I have. My doc tells me I need to work on my core muscles. Which I have been trying to do. This injury is older and I have always babied it so to speak. I cut out sit ups and crunches because they really made me sore. I'm just looking for other exercises or variations of the ones I'm already doing.
  • Mountainbum777
    Mountainbum777 Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    In that case sticking to lower impact exercises would be best until you strengthen your core. If yoga doesn't bother it than great, swimming would be excellent also if you have access to a pool. Squatting is definitely good for you, but be sure your form is spot on and I wouldn't break parrallell i.e. no *kitten* to grass. Stick to body weight squats or very light weight bar squats, seated cable rows would be great also, just keep the weight light and form should be your main focus. I would avoid any twisting movments and bending at the waste with straight legs also.
  • neutroncore
    neutroncore Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you asked your doctor for an inversion table advice for decompression exercises... I don't have first hand info but I heard people complementing it. I'm not endorsing it, I'm just pointing out something to search. Wish you good luck
  • melstampz
    melstampz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't have exercises, but I'm just sending you a virtual ((hug)) in hopes that you heal quickly!
  • meghanfleming855
    Options
    melstampz wrote: »
    I don't have exercises, but I'm just sending you a virtual ((hug)) in hopes that you heal quickly!

Thank you :)
  • meghanfleming855
    Options
    In that case sticking to lower impact exercises would be best until you strengthen your core. If yoga doesn't bother it than great, swimming would be excellent also if you have access to a pool. Squatting is definitely good for you, but be sure your form is spot on and I wouldn't break parrallell i.e. no *kitten* to grass. Stick to body weight squats or very light weight bar squats, seated cable rows would be great also, just keep the weight light and form should be your main focus. I would avoid any twisting movments and bending at the waste with straight legs also.

• meghanfleming855
    Options
    I wonder if you asked your doctor for an inversion table advice for decompression exercises... I don't have first hand info but I heard people complementing it. I'm not endorsing it, I'm just pointing out something to search. Wish you good luck

I've heard good things about inversion tables...I will ask about them. Thanks for the idea :)
  • stazed657
    stazed657 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cardio - bike, swimming, elliptical
    Pilates, yoga and core work
    Weighted stuff should be ok just build it up gently and see how you feel
  • Shokei
    Shokei Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've had back problems and understand the soreness. L4 and L5 disc have given me a heart ache. LOL! I stick with yoga, core exercises and use light weights. Hang in there and keep your core and legs strong.
  • hlc302
    hlc302 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ive had lower back problems for years (30) & eventually surgery and partial discectomy on L 5 , Ive always been told Core Strengthening is the answer , pilates is brill , told to avoid bending from the waist exercises (some yoga moves ruled out ).
    Maybe a refresher appointment with physiotherapist to devise a new plan to keep you motivated?
    Good luck : )
  • BrikcRunner
    BrikcRunner Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The culprit with your current routine is most likely the jumping jacks. Try eliminating just that and see if that helps. The suggestions already mentioned are great ... swimming, elliptical, anything low impact. I'd add walking to the list. I know... not the fastest calorie burn but if you do it outdoors or at a park, it has other redeeming qualities.
  • neutroncore
    neutroncore Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I've heard good things about inversion tables...I will ask about them. Thanks for the idea :)

You're welcome and please let's know how it will work with you. Sending you a virtual hug too and wishing you all success.
  • meghanfleming855
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do bike ride and like to walk in the spring. But where I live we still have 3 feet of snow and yesterday was -21 so getting outside os still just pit of reach lol. Thank you for your suggestions I will look into adding some and maybe eliminating a few.