Calorie cointing, it works!

Options
Never in my life have I ever needed to do a calorie count until this year.

I have always been an ideal weight back in high school and I was able to maintain the appropriate weight for my height.

2015 was my breaking point where I was depressed and ate my feelings, I noticed how unshape I was getting but didn't see the point.

2016 is when the light turned on for me. My ballet class had a fitness test and I couldn't believe how much I have gained

When I first decided that enough is enough, I weighed 173 when I first started to do the calorie counting with this app.

Then I kept up with it and it's been great! I've lost 6lbs counting calories and exercising for 30 minutes a day.

Before I'd be drinking beer like crazy and wine and didn't realize how much that added to my calorie intake.

I now consume close to 1200 calories, at times I don't reach it because I have given up all the bad foods in my life.

I weigh now 167.2.......it doesn't look like much but I'm that much closers in reaching my small goal which 145 then the other goal 140, 135, 130 and my finally goal is weighing under 130.

My motivation is looking good but also being able to play roller derby without being out of breathe after 2 laps.

Keep it up everyone!!♡♡♡

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    WOOT! Go you!
    Yeah, it's amazing what just logging for a few days can do for your perception of what you eat, how much and how you eat. I was stunned. I didn't think I had a bad diet before, but logging really opened my eyes to what could be so much better.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Yep. Wish I'd known it was this simple before spending 20 years yo-yo dieting my way to 366lbs! 100 down and I'm still amused at how obvious CICO is.
  • ilovelucy1930
    ilovelucy1930 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It does!!!!!

Now when I'm debating to go out and drink my favorite beers, I look how much a think I'll drink then back out immediately since 6 beers of blue moon is roughly around 1000 calories!!!! I cut beer out, I need to find other alcohols that don't carry so much calories.

OR just exercise more if I know I'm going to have one of those nights lol
  • ilovelucy1930
    Options
    JordisTSM wrote: »
    Yep. Wish I'd known it was this simple before spending 20 years yo-yo dieting my way to 366lbs! 100 down and I'm still amused at how obvious CICO is.

I'm not sure what yo you dieting is.

Is it calorie counting and logging in?

I jog, bicycle and lift weights as exercise. And the only foods I've changed was cutting out fast foods, sweets, chips, beers, red meat, and sodas.

I've done this a lot in high school but I didn't think much of it until now.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Science has proved, and you can google it, that CICO is a myth. It's what you eat that counts.
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Science has proved, and you can google it, that CICO is a myth. It's what you eat that counts.

I will engage you for just one minute. What you eat DOES count, for nutrition. However, how much of it X its caloric density (i.e. Calories,) is what matters for weight loss. Both are important...but for MFP and losing fat, CICO is king.

Now it is harder to get eat over your deficit if all you are eating is Iceburg lettuce. However, there are lots of healthy, nutritious foods that are high in calories that WILL cause you to gain weight if you eat them in excess of your TDEE. I promise. That's how metabolism and energy use/storage works.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Really? So I'm a special snowflake then who just magically happened to lose 100lbs following CICO?

Always knew I was special.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Whelp, I guess that makes me a special snowflake, too.

Wait--there can't be more than one special snowflake! The world can't handle it.

What you eat is for health and nutrition. How much of it you consume is for weight management.

• ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what yo you dieting is.

Yo-yo dieting is repeatedly losing weight and then gaining it back, often as the result of unsustainable crash diets where habits don't truly change. Worse yet, a percentage of weight loss being lost muscle, so each time they hit their goal weight their body fat percentage is higher than the last time they were at their goal weight. (This assumes they aren't lifting weights to counteract this effect.)
  • ilovelucy1930
    Options
    Oh, but I don't think what I'm doing is such a crash dieting.

I'm still doing what's right way to lose weight even though I'm tempted to doing unhealthy, I also add muscle building since I need core and lower leg for roller derby.

But I get what yo yo dieting is.

I do want to be at 130lbs tho the temptation of going unhealthy grows but obviously not ideal and won't stick.
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options

citations for this "science" please?