Pain after eating?

Options
I have an appt to see my doctor Monday about this but I was curious if anyone has had something similar.

This past week or so, every time I eat, no matter what it is or how much I eat, a few minutes later I get bad stomach pain. It feels almost as if there was fluid around the bottom of my rib cage. Any one ever have this?

Replies

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Could be your gall bladder...is it more noticeable when you eat fatty foods?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No. It is any type of food. Doesn't seem to be worse with and specific food.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Anyone else?
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have had this the past few weeks. When I eat , my stomach hurts. It does feel a lot like gal bladder pain, but my gal bladder was taken out 3+ years ago. I teach 3rd grade and a lot of my students have had stomach bugs lately, so I have been chalking it up to that.
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had a constant pain under my right rib cage, it was my gallbladder.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have ibs c and have a couple of times got so constipated that it caused impaction and a blockage in my colon. Bloo dy agony. I'm on ridiculous amounts of pain medication which cause constipation which makes it worse.
    Could it be that? Also trapped wind is extremely painful, do you eat fast? Possibly gulping air when you eat?
  • elphie754
    Options
    Hmm. I hadn't even considered it could be my gallbladder since the pain is widespread and not under rib cage. Something to ask my dr about though.
    star1407 wrote: »
    I have ibs c and have a couple of times got so constipated that it caused impaction and a blockage in my colon. Bloo dy agony. I'm on ridiculous amounts of pain medication which cause constipation which makes it worse.
    Could it be that? Also trapped wind is extremely painful, do you eat fast? Possibly gulping air when you eat?

I do eat relatively fast. I don't think I'm gulping air, but I will pay more attention.
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It also could be acid reflux if it right after you eat.
  • hev481
    Options
    Obviously go talk to your doctor about it, but assuming you don't have any conditions that would block you from taking them (frequent kidney stones, etc.) you could try a tums with your next meal and see if it happens
  • elphie754
    Options
    hev481 wrote: »
    It also could be acid reflux if it right after you eat.

I doubt it. I've had acid reflux before and usually it causes my chest to hurt/burn, not my stomach.
    But I will still look into that being a possibility.

hev481 wrote: »
    Obviously go talk to your doctor about it, but assuming you don't have any conditions that would block you from taking them (frequent kidney stones, etc.) you could try a tums with your next meal and see if it happens

Unfortunately I can't take tums due to allergies.

The pain is so annoying because it takes away from the enjoyment of eating. I love become nervous to eat because of the pain.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Definitely see dr and get an ultrasound. Sounds a lot like when I had gall stones. Worst pain I've ever had but the surgery is pretty easy to get rid of them these days. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Will certainly do. I have an appt tomorrow afternoon.
  • hev481
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Excellent! Hang in there in the meanwhile, and good luck with your appointment! Stick to bland foods until then to see if it helps (low fat/acid, more easily digestible starches). Hope you feel better!
  • elphie754
    Options
    Thank you. I have been having mostly bland food when I actually do eat, and very small servings but it doesn't seem to help. I can't win lol.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Mine was an ulcer starting. Rx meds keep the acid down. I have various symptoms of it in spells. Sometimes my stomach hurts after I eat, sometimes I want to eat to help it, and sometimes it's heartburn. It's all still acid for me, just either refluxing or trying to burn a hole through, lol. It's mostly controllable, but I do push it with the coffee or other triggers on occasion.

But certainly gall bladder can do it.

I got weird gall bladder symptoms sometimes and have been sent through the rounds of testing at least twice. Dunno what that is, but cutting way back on fat and large meals for a while helps, so I think gall bladders can just act up sometimes here and there, too. That pain for me is definitely on the right side under ribs.

Good luck, and I hope it's clear what yours is so you can get treated and feel good again!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have an appt to see my doctor Monday about this but I was curious if anyone has had something similar.

This past week or so, every time I eat, no matter what it is or how much I eat, a few minutes later I get bad stomach pain. It feels almost as if there was fluid around the bottom of my rib cage. Any one ever have this?

I had something similar. It turned out to be a hiatal hernia. Gallbladder is another possibility. Does the pain radiate up either your left or right shoulder or around to the back? (No. I am not trying to diagnose, just curious if OP has any commons symptoms)
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options

Good luck!
  • earlnabby
    Options

Good luck! Take notes tonight. Write down everything you can think of as to when and how often the pain hits. If you have been good about logging, print out your food diaries for a couple of the days you had the pain. Definitely write down all of the questions you need to ask. I never seem to remember those when I am actually sitting in the office.

Yes, my PCP laughs when she sees my notes, food logs, and spreadsheets. She also loves them.
  • elphie754
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Mine was an ulcer starting. Rx meds keep the acid down. I have various symptoms of it in spells. Sometimes my stomach hurts after I eat, sometimes I want to eat to help it, and sometimes it's heartburn. It's all still acid for me, just either refluxing or trying to burn a hole through, lol. It's mostly controllable, but I do push it with the coffee or other triggers on occasion.

But certainly gall bladder can do it.

I got weird gall bladder symptoms sometimes and have been sent through the rounds of testing at least twice. Dunno what that is, but cutting way back on fat and large meals for a while helps, so I think gall bladders can just act up sometimes here and there, too. That pain for me is definitely on the right side under ribs.

Good luck, and I hope it's clear what yours is so you can get treated and feel good again!

Thank you.
    earlnabby wrote: »

I had something similar. It turned out to be a hiatal hernia. Gallbladder is another possibility. Does the pain radiate up either your left or right shoulder or around to the back? (No. I am not trying to diagnose, just curious if OP has any commons symptoms)

No, it doesn't radiate to shoulders. It almost feels as though I have a tight rubber band right at the base of my rib cage.
    earlnabby wrote: »

Good luck! Take notes tonight. Write down everything you can think of as to when and how often the pain hits. If you have been good about logging, print out your food diaries for a couple of the days you had the pain. Definitely write down all of the questions you need to ask. I never seem to remember those when I am actually sitting in the office.

Yes, my PCP laughs when she sees my notes, food logs, and spreadsheets. She also loves them.

Hahaha that called being a good advocate for yourself. I will occasionally bring notes if I have a specific question and will write down info if dr is giving me a lot of it.
    Edit-it ate half my post lol
  • earlnabby
    Options

No, it doesn't radiate to shoulders. It almost feels as though I have a tight rubber band right at the base of my rib cage.

Hahaha that called being a good advocate for yourself. I will occasionally bring notes if I have a specific question and will write down info if dr is giving me a lot of it.
    Edit-it ate half my post lol

Again, good luck. The things that have been brought up all can be fixed relatively easily. Then again, it could be something even more simple like an intolerance to a certain food.

I had surgery to repair my hernia a week ago (I also had the gallbladder removed because I had gallstones and evidence of some chronic inflammation) and it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. In my case, I have had the hernia for decades with few symptoms but something happened last November that made the stomach move permanently into my chest cavity so it needed to be fixed. I doubt very much that you have anything like that. You would have different kinds of pain if it were the case.