planting season approaches!: favorite vegetables to grow?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Such good ideas!

Stevia? who knew!

And avocado, I wish we could grow that well here.

I'd not thought about the California drought. Hope that doesn't keep on.

raspberries!!! I could totally grow those!

Sabine, if you are worried about water shortage, a tip I learned was this.. Stick a load of litle holes in a milk carton or soda bottle and bury it next to your thirsty plant, just leave the top exposed so you can pour water into it and the plant's roots will drink it up as they need it. I'm not organised enough to group my thirsty plants together so I've started doing this and it stops me overwatering the plants nearby that don't like a lot of water. You can recycle washing up bowl or bath water too, in fact the soap residue can help to deter aphids and other naughty garden visitors but doesn't affect the plants

We have those! They're great!
    And yes, we keep painters cans in the shower and get a bucket from our showers for the garden.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Home-Depot-5-gal-Homer-Bucket-05GLHD2/100087613
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Such good ideas!

Stevia? who knew!

Sabine, if you are worried about water shortage, a tip I learned was this.. Stick a load of litle holes in a milk carton or soda bottle and bury it next to your thirsty plant, just leave the top exposed so you can pour water into it and the plant's roots will drink it up as they need it. I'm not organised enough to group my thirsty plants together so I've started doing this and it stops me overwatering the plants nearby that don't like a lot of water. You can recycle washing up bowl or bath water too, in fact the soap residue can help to deter aphids and other naughty garden visitors but doesn't affect the plants

And yes, we keep painters cans in the shower and get a bucket from our showers for the garden.

Lol well you don't need my advice then! I should be asking you for tips by the sounds of it ha ha. Do you struggle with drought a lot in California? In Essex where I live in the uk we have thick heavy clay soil and a lot of rain so often my flower beds are a sticky horrible mess. I add gravel and compost, but it's a never ending battle. When we have a stretch of dry weather it dries like concrete!
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have been looking forward to the growing season since the end of the last one. I am looking forward to sweet corn (yum). This year, I am growing more - raspberry, golden raspberry, blueberry, pink blueberries, strawberries, zucchini, tomatoes, herbs, peas (I will only eat them fresh), cucumbers, spinach, carrots, potatoes...oh the list goes on and on. I started with containers on my porch, but now I am building beds in the yards so we can have more.

Last year, we bought two grape vines since grapes are so expensive where I live. One vine costs the same as 1 pound. It pays to have the ability to grow, but above that, the taste is superior.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Such good ideas!

Stevia? who knew!

Lol well you don't need my advice then! I should be asking you for tips by the sounds of it ha ha. Do you struggle with drought a lot in California? In Essex where I live in the uk we have thick heavy clay soil and a lot of rain so often my flower beds are a sticky horrible mess. I add gravel and compost, but it's a never ending battle. When we have a stretch of dry weather it dries like concrete!

I'm not in California (where it's been really bad), but we're always mindful of water as much of the U.S. was in drought the last few years. We had a hard time getting a new tree to take because of our fears of over using water. We managed it though. We have HUGE rain barrels all over, and all of our rain gutters go into the barrels. Those are then connected to hoses which go to the trees, and the garden. So helpful.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Such good ideas!

Stevia? who knew!

Why don't you make some raised beds? You can get fresh soil (investment) and over time turn it over with the lower soil. I would also suggest adding tons of organic material to the soil - kitchen waste, manure, egg shells.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Awesome. My dad has hose pipes going round the back of his beds with holes in to make it easier to water. It's a faff getting it set up but very handy once it's done
    Just bought some more courgette seeds this morning as my 6 beautiful seedlings that were looking nice and strong got knocked off the unit by my husband who was wheeling the parrot cage out into the lounge and then spread about the floor by my two very naughty cats. My Labrador then intervened and retrieved them for me in his mouth. Lol this is what happens when you live in a zoo with a clumsy hubby :D
    off to plant phase two!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I also have 2 big rain barrels, I water by hand, and mulch (with straw) - I think this all helps conserve water. I didn't notice any drastic increase with our water bill over last year's very dry summer. My garden is pretty small, though.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    We have raised beds in the front yard...2 8x8 beds. Use a square foot concept.

What I wanted to grow most was fresh herbs, as perennials I have thyme, lemon thyme, peppermint, spearmint, mohito mint, French tarragon, oregano, anise hyssop, winter savoury, sorrel, blood sorrel, purple and white lavender, French shallots, spring onions.

As annuals I grow, chervil (favourite herb), parsley, basil, Thai basil, marjoram, dill, purple fennel, perilla/Shiso, stevia, Rosemary (rarely survives winter)...adding summer savoury.

Veggies include: Roma, black Karin, brandy wine, green zebra tomatoes, jalapeño, scotch bonnet, arugula, purple bush beans, Swiss chard Rainbow and green. Will add French sorrel this year.

I put in two dwarf thornless raspberry bushes and two blueberry bushes.

I put a netting around the tree and grow pole or runner beans up the tree. Also two summer squash in front of the yews.

Did you grow the stevia from seed? I've wondered about trying it. Is it easy to grow? Also what do you do with it when you harvest it? Sorry for all the questions but it's better to hear from someone who's actually grown it than read general instructions on the net

Did you grow the stevia from seed? I've wondered about trying it. Is it easy to grow? Also what do you do with it when you harvest it? Sorry for all the questions but it's better to hear from someone who's actually grown it than read general instructions on the net[/quote]

I don't grow it from seed....it is very common to find in garden centres around here as a plant...can also find from online producers. My favourite for herbs is richters.ca.. Canadian grower that ships to Canada and the US. Lots of unique herbs.

Through out the growing season, I'll just pick a few sprigs for tea, ice tea and just throw it in the pot. At the end of the season, I pick the entire plant and dry the leaves...you can just hang dry...or use a dehydrator. Ziplock bag and you have it all winter...
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    To improve moisture retention add things like moisture retainers (I bought mine from moss acres)...essentials the same material that is in diapers...holds extra moisture which is then released back into soil.
  • 3p0l0v3sU
    3p0l0v3sU Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    corn, squash, and beans! Soy beans especially. I wan't a mushroom garden too, but I don't have the funds for it this season.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I wish I had the energy to plant and maintain and garden! I have always wanted one and I LOVE the idea of growing my own veg, but I'm not a gardener...I'll spend one Saturday really getting into it and planting, but then I'll forget to water it, I hate going out and weeding, we don't eat as many veggies as grow in the garden, etc.

Some day....some day....
  • ewrook
    ewrook Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bok Choi is a favorite of mine because you can harvest by cutting it to the ground and baby bok chois emerge in a few days. Magical and delicious. You can eat the raw in salads or cooked.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hey, great post! :)

We've just started our peppers from seed, under grow-lights. We make our own chili powder, diced green chilies (canned) and roasted peppers (frozen) for casseroles, hummus and salsa. Today I'll be sowing celery and lettuce in little starter pots, and it's time to sow spinach & peas directly in the ground.

We also grow boysenberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and grapes. We plant 200 garlic every year, lots for roasting on the grill and plenty to save for seed. Other crops include asparagus, artichokes, corn, chard, kale, kohlrabi, broc, cauliflower, cabbage, potatoes, onions, scallions, leeks, beans, tomatoes, tomatillos, cukes, radishes, carrots, beets, parsnips, summer & winter squash, and a large variety of herbs. And flowers!

Our garden is almost 3000 sq ft, so we do a ton of processing! We're in the PNW, fortunate to have great loamy soil and no water shortage. Looking forward to another wonderful harvest this year - let the fun begin! :grin:
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention one of my favorite things to grow... edamame! There's nothing quite like same-day picked and boiled or steamed edamame. Deeeeeeeeelish! We stagger the plantings in order to have harvest for about a month.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    sistrsprkl wrote: »
    I also have 2 big rain barrels, I water by hand, and mulch (with straw) - I think this all helps conserve water. I didn't notice any drastic increase with our water bill over last year's very dry summer. My garden is pretty small, though.

my water wasnt too bad last year, but i think now that i got a couple avocado trees it might go up.. im also making my garden a bit bigger. I just got rain barrels.. AFTER San Diegos record rain ha!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jb_2011 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention one of my favorite things to grow... edamame! There's nothing quite like same-day picked and boiled or steamed edamame. Deeeeeeeeelish! We stagger the plantings in order to have harvest for about a month.

OMG!!!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ewrook wrote: »
    Bok Choi is a favorite of mine because you can harvest by cutting it to the ground and baby bok chois emerge in a few days. Magical and delicious. You can eat the raw in salads or cooked.

I love this too!
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    tomatoes, any greens and lettuce