Anyone controlling PCOS with diet?

Options
Hi! Just wondering if there's anyone out there who has PCOS and is either taking supplements or eating certain foods to control it. I am taking Metformin at the minute but I do not want to be on it forever! I have heard about people taking inositol, does anyone have any experience of taking that??

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Lower carbs under 100 grams/day, and you ll be off the drugs in no time!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I don't think food has an effect on PCOS as it comes from your ovaries and hormones. Have youe tried birth control pills? That is what they used on me.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Living with it is a combination of the right healthy foods, exercise, laser treatments, etc. and is different with each person that has PCOS.

• punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with PCOS since I was a teenager and have never taken any meds for it. In the last couple of years or so, I've started controlling it through a balanced diet and regular exercise.

In the last 6 months, I've started to play around with my macro balance and have found that I function best at between 40-45% carbs. Any higher than that, my blood sugar gets all screwy, any lower than that and I'm dizzy, drowsy and unable to concentrate. I've read a fair bit on the internet about low carb diets for PCOS. It looks promising. If you have access to a registered dietician, they might be a good source of information. For now, I'm concentrating on reducing simple carbs in my diet and making sure I have a good source of lean protein with every meal and snack.

This has been working for me. No guarantee it will work for anyone else with PCOS.
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes! PCOS can be a precursor to diabetes down the road. As a doula, I talk and work with a lot of mamas with PCOS. Many of them have seen great success with eating a mostly paleo/whole 30 diet. Probably, do to the lack of sugar. I'm not convinced that either diet is maintainable forever, but keeping an eye on the sugar you consume is very important! I have fertility issues that are linked to my thyroid. If I go crazy on sugar my weight shoots up.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I just started taking inositol last week so I can't report on anything yet. I also added magnesium supplement and eat 30% carbs. I was on metformin for a short time and didn't like how it made me feel. So far the inositol seems to make my moods better and more energy
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your hormones are affected by insulin production, and insulin production is affected by the foods we eat. I do better with less processed foods and less sugar/processed carbohydrates. I have also recently begun to check my blood sugar after meals to see how different foods affect my glucose levels even though I am not diabetic. For instance, one person I know has a steep spike in blood sugar when she eats tomatoes-- a supposedly low glycemic food!