Whole30 diet plan...

Options
Considering in trying the "Whole30" diet plan. Need some feedback. Has any one tried it?And if so, did you have dramatic results?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    article wrote:
    Beyond that, you’re removing all grains, dairy, soy, legumes, sugar, artificial sweeteners, and alcohol from your diet.

No thank you. I'd sooner die than give those things up. And I have lost 8kg since late November B)
  • Irishsugar
    Irishsugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I looked into it but not sure I could give all those things up for life. I have cut back on my trouble areas... Fast food and soda! Also walking more and trying to just do whatever to get off the couch.. So far it's working. Good luck in whatever you choose!!
  • elsaferrao
    elsaferrao Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I did the whole30 last year, and I recommend it for those who need to identify the bad habits and reeducate themselfs. -it is more an excercise of discipline, than anything else. At the end I only lost 2Kg, but lots of volume! (2 sizes down), and never where hungry!
    But I don't consider it a balanced diet, so it isn't something to follow for life.
    From what I've learned, I have reduced sugars, processed food in genereal, incresed the intake of fruit and vegetables, I concluded that I don't need milk for nothing... :)
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Having done 3 Whole 30s and currently doing a 4th, let me give you some Whole30 facts. It is not a diet. It is only for 30 days that you eliminate grains, dairy, sugar and sweeteners. After that you begin adding them back taking careful note if any give you adverse reactions. You will lose weight but it will not be a dramatic amount for everyone. Like any plan it depends on how much you have to lose. You do not count anything, no calories, no measuring or weighing of food. You eat from the approved list. You plan your meals so you don't need to snack. If you want to learn to eat a clean, nutritious diet and get the sugar dragon slayed for all times, it's the way to go. I highly recommend it. The things that most contribute to weight gain are simple carbs and fast food for most of us.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I did a 30 days like the whole 30 last year for ramadan. I eliminated grains and sugar but not dairy. I lost 5kgs. I have chosen to stick to a diet like this for the past year and have kept off 7-9kgs :)
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have done Whole30 before. It's not a diet plan, though you may lose weight. It's used more to either eliminate foods that are causing you problems (elimination diet) or to stop cravings. I think it's great for those two things, and I felt great while I was on it. It is difficult to stick to for any longer term, but 30 days is doable. If you think you may be sensitive to certain food groups or you just want a "diet reset" Whole30 could be great for you. If you're looking primarily to lose weight, CICO is more effective and easier to stick with.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    The problem with elimination diets like this one supposedly designed to see if they are causing you health issues,can take more than 30 days to see if there is a real problem or not.especially if you have an allergy or intolerance.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Having done 3 Whole 30s and currently doing a 4th, let me give you some Whole30 facts. It is not a diet. It is only for 30 days that you eliminate grains, dairy, sugar and sweeteners. After that you begin adding them back taking careful note if any give you adverse reactions. You will lose weight but it will not be a dramatic amount for everyone. Like any plan it depends on how much you have to lose. You do not count anything, no calories, no measuring or weighing of food. You eat from the approved list. You plan your meals so you don't need to snack. If you want to learn to eat a clean, nutritious diet and get the sugar dragon slayed for all times, it's the way to go. I highly recommend it. The things that most contribute to weight gain are simple carbs and fast food for most of us.

NO,weight gain is cause by eating more calories than your body burns. putting you into a caloric surplus. I have ate simple carbs and fast food from time to time while on my weight loss journey and still lost weight.you can even gain weight being a vegan or vegetarian,if you eat more than you burn you will gain weight.its all about calories in vs calories out.
  • mikehull14
    mikehull14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recommend against this diet. Their book and website are filled with unscientific information. I've reviewed many of the cited claims in the Whole30 book and found that a majority were very misleading or completely false. This diet can substantially mislead people about what proper and healthy eating looks like due to this inaccurate information. You can read some of my chapter reviews of the book here:
    http://nutritionasiknowit.com/whole30/

The Whole30 approach to elimination and reintroduction of foods is also not appropriately designed in a way that would allow accurate and reliable identification of food sensitivities. For a more evidence-based approach to an elimination diet, you might want to try the one set out by Precision Nutrition found here:
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/elimination-diet-infographic

Elimination diets take a lot of time and commitment and shouldn't be undertaken unnecessarily. Here are a few additional tips:

1 - You don't have to eliminate all these foods. If there's one you think is causing you issues focus on that.

2 - Beware the false positive! When you abstain from eating certain foods for a time, you lose certain enzymes and gut bacteria that aid in the digestion of these foods. Upon reintroduction, you may experience gastrointestinal "symptoms" that are really just due to the lack of said enzyme/bacteria. These will build back up over time as you continue to consume the food. Don't needlessly eliminate an entire food group without THOROUGHLY testing yourself a number different times.
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The problem with elimination diets like this one supposedly designed to see if they are causing you health issues,can take more than 30 days to see if there is a real problem or not.especially if you have an allergy or intolerance.

I agree with the above. I did it and lost 17lbs. Although 30 or 45 days is not enough time to assess accurately, I know grain and sugar are not for me. As for dairy,and soy I can do without (too many questions on hormones). Honestly scared to death to eat a piece of bread.