Why won't my belly fat go away?!

Options
I've been on this journey for months, and while I have gotten smaller everywhere, my tummy is coming along the slowest. I eat well. I exercise. I drink tons of water. Is there any way to specifically help my tummy?! Maybe any foods to avoid or foods to eat? I do feel bloated often but I don't want that to be my excuse anymore

Replies

• bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    It comes off where it comes off. A lot of people find the tummy is the first to come, and the last to go. There's no such thing as spot reduction.
  • CodyQuinlan
    CodyQuinlan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    As stated above no such thing as spot reduction. However I know a lot of people who got great results from deadlifts and squats as these are major core and compound engaging exercises. Either way eventually it will go :)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Tummies just take longer. :( Not fair, but it's the truth. Core exercises, like Cody mentioned (not necessarily deadlifts and squats, especially if you have knee or back problems), can do a lot to tone the muscles underneath that layer of fat and make it look and feel better while you're waiting to lose, but there's no magic bullet to target belly fat.
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    It comes off where it comes off. A lot of people find the tummy is the first to come, and the last to go. There's no such thing as spot reduction.

Ditto
  • NeoFresh
    NeoFresh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey emyleer, I just want to give you a word of encouragement. I also have issues with losing belly fat. It seems like my upper body gets super strong and shows results the quickest, but my belly does it's own thing. Just keep going!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    All you can do is keep dropping your overall bf% through a calorie deficit, your body decides where and when it's going to come off, there's nothing you can do to spot reduce.
  • percolater
    percolater Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've always had a slight roundness to my lower abdomen even during the years when I only weighed 110 pounds. My doctor said that women who have a healthy amount of estrogen will store it in that area. In other words -- women aren't really supposed to have six-packs.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Define "eat well". This is probably where the problem resides.... Macros?....
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs also result in constant bloating in the belly area which some see as a fat belly. Cut back a little on carbs and eat more fruit and vegetables for a week and see what happens.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The belly is primary fat stores for many, if not most people....it's first on, last off.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Too many carbs also result in constant bloating in the belly area which some see as a fat belly. Cut back a little on carbs and eat more fruit and vegetables for a week and see what happens.

Carbs can ause bloating for some people....but its NOT true for everyone.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    percolater wrote: »
    I've always had a slight roundness to my lower abdomen even during the years when I only weighed 110 pounds. My doctor said that women who have a healthy amount of estrogen will store it in that area. In other words -- women aren't really supposed to have six-packs.

Well that's ridiculous
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight you're on your way to losing belly fat, it's just going to take longer.
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    Options

If you have intolerance to grains you can be bloated by eating them

Also happens with cruciferous vegetables like brocolli or cauliflower

Or dairy if lactose intolerant

What I'm getting at is this is not a fact for most people
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    percolater wrote: »

Estrogen levels in the body don't impact fat storage. I have a six-pack and perfect estrogen levels.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    "What kind of carbs do you eat?"

Oh my. Please explain where you are going with this one