Couch to 5K ??

Options
Hello! I am nearly 100 lbs overweight. I exercise about 4 times a week and have for a few years. Mostly walking with some weight training, elliptical and yoga thrown in here or there. I'm very eager to shake things up, challenge myself and push myself a bit out of my comfort zone. I feel like my mind needs it as much as my body does!

I downloaded the couch to 5k app and I'm planning on doing it for the next 8 weeks. I'm just a little nervous about my size. I wonder if I'm asking for trouble to start a program like this. I'd love to hear from others who have done it (no matter what size) or anyone who is significantly overweight but runs. I am thinking I'm just being nervous because it's new. I have no known health, joint or muscle problems at all or anything like that.

I'd also love to meet new friends here on MFP. I do not eat perfectly clean or stay 100% within my daily allotment, I'm looking for judgement-free friends. I wear a fitbit, try to get steps in and log what I eat so it's pretty simple.

Replies

• ahappydancer
    ahappydancer Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hello! I love c25k and can't recommend it enough. I wouldn't be too worried about injuring yourself--three times a week shouldn't be too much of a strain and you can always slow down. If you have concerns, talk to your doctor.
    Eta: I'm twenty pounds overweight and I found it challenging at times. Sometimes I skipped a week, but now I can run for thirty minutes straight. Currenly working on c210k.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Started last year and hurt my groin, had to stop. I am planning on starting as soon as the weather lightens. Would love to run between 30 6- minutes. I remember the days when I could do that, talk about getting a high from it.

• ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the app and will try it tomorrow based on this discussion. I will send you a FR :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend C25K enough.
    Best advice I can give is to run slow. You'll feel as if you are already slow but you may still be running too fast at the beginning. Slow down, if you feel winded and cannot speak a short sentence out loud.

Don't worry about your weight. You can do this. You've got a good walking base to build on. That gives you the base you need to get started.

You can do this. Let us know of your progress. I'd love to cheer you along.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I started C25K last year when I was just starting out - almost 240 lbs. It's a great app. It took me about 13 weeks to complete it though. I had repeat some weeks and even went back a week once. Don't get discouraged if you takes you longer than the 8 weeks.

I found once I completed the program that I was getting shin splints whenever I ran (may have had stress fractures, it took a few months to heal). While I was healing, I just walked instead (on a treadmill with a fairly steep incline). Once I was healed I got fitted for proper running shoes and have no issues since. I'm not sure if my size had anything to do with it or just the shoes, but I recommend getting fitted for proper shoes (if you haven't already).

I also like the Zombies, Run 5k app. Similar to C25k but a little less structured. They have what they call "free form runs", which means you can walk or run as much as you want during that time. I use the regular Zombies Run app all the time now when I run.
  • Brendas100
    Brendas100 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you so much everyone for the great tips, suggestions & support!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I have 85 or so pounds to lose and I am having to build up to C25K as my shins and knees needed extra strength. I can walk 3-4 miles easily, but running is a whole different duck. So, right now I am doing 8 x 30 seconds run, with 30 seconds between each run. I am slowly going to add more time running, but my shins can't handle longer runs right now. I am also doing some exercises specific to leg strength/running to help avoid injury. Feel free to add me as a friend and rarely judge. :)
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Montepulciano, C25K starts with fewer reps than you're doing. You may be starting out too aggressively and causing the shin problems. You can do this. Also, Jennie's advice about shoes is spot on. Good shoes will help knees, feet and legs tremendously.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Oh, I worked up to this. :) Started with 4 x 30 seconds with longer walks between. And the C25K that I saw was 8 x 60 seconds with 90 second walks. Perhaps I am looking at a different one?
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Oops....my bad. I just looked it up. I had it mixed up. You're right it is about 8 1-minute run sessions. Sorry. It's been awhile..... :/
  • Safetysuitgirl
    Safetysuitgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm doing couch to 5k now and I'm on week 3 and so far I love it! Add me and we can help motivate each other
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I started my weight loss at 254 lbs and was only walking for exercise. I started C25K when I reached 200 lbs. Just take it slow and easy - and I mean SLOW - when I started doing C25K I could walk faster than I ran, but everywhere I asked I kept getting the advice to keep it slow, so I did, and I didn't have any trouble following the plan through to the end. I still run and love it, and have my eye on a half-marathon this year!
  • runningmamtoo
    runningmamtoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Brenda. I started walking four years ago. I thought " if I walk a little quicker I may run". I tried this and was really exited when I managed 70 steps running without a break!!
    I discovered C25K and never looked back, It lulls you in to the running habit and if you don@ t manage ti meet a week's goal, simply do it again until you do.
    Four years on and I am running 10k and considering trying a 10 mile. I am 61. I have lost 5.5 stone over this period through diet and exercise. I still have a way to go to reach a "normal" weight but am plodding on.
    By the way I have still not managed 5k in 30 mins. :p:p
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    ... By the way I have still not managed 5k in 30 mins. :p:p

ha, me either. My PR for 5k is 36 minutes lol - my PR for 1 mile was 10:46min (most of the time I average 12:30m/mi or so) and that was before arthritis took me out for the winter (can't run outside when it's cold and I prefer to run in the super early morning dark - and hate the Dreadmill). I did my first outdoor run in ~4 months last Friday! Thing is I'm not competing with anyone but myself, and I'm fine with those times for now (although I know I'll have to get faster so I don't time out of my half)
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Well I looked at the app and it seems that I need to have access to outside since I don't have a threadmill. Looks like I will have to wait a few weeks because there is still too much snow and slush on the ground (including in the streets). I wll follow this thread though and jump in as soon as I can!

What do people do who live in cold climates? You can't all be living where it is warm now?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Well I looked at the app and it seems that I need to have access to outside since I don't have a threadmill. Looks like I will have to wait a few weeks because there is still too much snow and slush on the ground (including in the streets). I wll follow this thread though and jump in as soon as I can!

What do people do who live in cold climates? You can't all be living where it is warm now?

Montreal is one of the worst areas for snow but a lot of people will run during the winter. You'll need proper winter gear including shoe spikes to avoid slipping. It can be annoying but is doable or you could just run on a treadmill at a club.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    there is a group for people who are doing the c25k programs
  • RunnerDench
    RunnerDench Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP,

I did C25K from May till September with a race in October. It was 100% one of the best things I've ever done. When I started I was about 35kg overweight, and I am now around 15kg overweight. It gave me structure and most of all it made me realize that I can run which is something I never thought I would be able to do. I'm working on a 10k now, with a similar program.

As for injuries, I've had what could be the start of shin splints and I've rehabed myself. Run slow, don't jump too much and stretch before and after the workout. Do your Yoga or Pilates. At least once a week. Although most blogs would recommend committing to a race at the start I would advise to do the program slowly. If something is too rough, do it again. I've done week 9 at least twice, maybe three. No judgement! Some pain is part of running, but it's usually a sign to go slower. C25K is a cookie-cutter program that works for most, but spend time thinking about it and adapting it to your preferences.

and run outside, with all the fit people. It's weird at first but then you draw energy from them and it's amazing.

Good luck, I'll add you and you can ask me anything you want, anytime!
  • RunnerDench
    RunnerDench Posts: 18 Member
    Options

There are many apps. Some of them allow you to use Runkeeper to program a workout to the specs of that week, and some just pace you while you're on the treadmill. I workout indoors 50% of the time because I live in a very hot climate, and I use Runkeeper and just program my workout per the C210K specs (meaning that it would tell me "run slow" for 5 mins, then "super fast" for 40 secs, then walk 10 mins etc.). I'm sure some apps do that with the treadmill as well.
  • Brendas100
    Brendas100 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!