How do you stay motivated?

Options
Hi everyone. I have sometimes problems to get started (motivated) or stay motivated especially when life gets rough. What motivates you? I am open for every help!! Please share your favorite quotes, poems, music, movies, books, your story if it motivates you.
Thanks so much.
Susanne

Replies

• beardybuddha73
    beardybuddha73 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a wonderful woman and family. And though I'm just 26, I'd really like to be around awhile and not have things cut short.

Also, everyone who I've told about me giving up pizza says "oh well, you can't COMPLETELY give it up, especially if you love it."

But here I am 50 days later and I haven't touched a slice. I'm down 21 pounds simply by changing my diet.

For me, it's just all about being honest, mindful and disciplined while staying positive.
  • mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm sure those who say that to you have good intentions but you know yourself! I gave up sugar 5 years ago stayed off it lost 40 lbs felt great and about 6 months ago I thought I could just have a bit which led me down a bad path to where I am up 20 lbs of the 40 I worked so hard to lose so it's back to basics for me which is no sugar! Good luck and stay true to yourslwf
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have sometimes problems to get started (motivated) or stay motivated especially when life gets rough. What motivates you? I am open for every help!! Please share your favorite quotes, poems, music, movies, books, your story if it motivates you.
    Thanks so much.
    Susanne

How to stay motivated? Last fall, I couldn't have told you anything about motivation! I was the least motivated on the planet. I asked for an activity tracker for Christmas and got one but my husband (sweet man that he is) made sure to get me one that had a watch on it because he really thought (honest one, too) that I would never actually use it so at least I could use it as a watch. That one little gift motivated me to prove him and my daughters wrong. Not so much wrong as now I was the one who was accountable! I started out to prove a point to each one of them but now, as I watch the pounds fall off, I am only accountable to myself. It's great to have them as a cheering section but now I have challenged myself to just do this! Before I had the excuse of a bad hip which made it very difficult for me to walk. In fact, I walked with a cane and could barely get around. It really sucked to not be able to go on hikes with my very active family...especially my grandchildren. I was lucky enough to be able to get a hip replacement in my 60's...usually not done until a person reaches their 70's for some stupid reason...and for over a year, I still used my hip as an excuse. Still used a cane and it hurt whenever I walked for any distance. No more! I have been given the gift of being able to walk again...without a cane...and I'm going to make the most of it since I was unable to do so thru most of my 50's. What keeps me motivated? LIVING MY LIFE like a normal person again! Knowing that every pound I take off is one more pound to a healthier me, one more pound closer to being able to attend and dance at my granddaughter's wedding, something I promised her when she was about 5 yrs old and had just lost her paternal grandmother...she was very worried she would lose me, too. She is now 17, getting ready to graduate this spring and no where near getting married BUT I will be there for her when the time comes. I don't know if this helps or not but when it comes to motivation, it truly has to come from the inside from you for you. Dig deep and you will find it!
  • KareninLux
    KareninLux Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Seeing pictures of myself after my 49th birthday/summer holidays in August last year was scary and then lower back problems set in by September which was a huge wake up call. I vowed to lost 50lbs by the time I turn 50. Tick, tick, tick. The clock and calendar are my motivator. 30 lbs down today! 20 more to go.
  • dangerousdame
    dangerousdame Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love music and dancing. Anytime I get the munchies for bad food or are feeling fat and unmotivated I turn on Pandora and have a dance party followed by a bottle of water! It boosts my energy and my mood! I like "Pop and Hip Hop Power Workout Radio"
  • finnsgma
    finnsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    mel35645 wrote: »
    I'm sure those who say that to you have good intentions but you know yourself! I gave up sugar 5 years ago stayed off it lost 40 lbs felt great and about 6 months ago I thought I could just have a bit which led me down a bad path to where I am up 20 lbs of the 40 I worked so hard to lose so it's back to basics for me which is no sugar! Good luck and stay true to yourslwf

This is totally me, except I lost 90 pounds about 2 years ago. Last Summer I thought I could just have a few nights out a week where I had a couple drinks and dessert, and before I knew it, I started feeling my clothes tight on me. I switched jobs to a more sedentary one, and we just went away for a trip to the tropics and when I packed, I couldn't even get my shorts past my thighs :( Total reality check. So I am back on track as of two weeks ago. It will always be a struggle for me, but now I know that I can't only have sugar once in a while, it makes me an addict after one taste and I need to stay motivated for my health.

• sueberlin
    sueberlin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That is impressive!! I love what you all wrote! Finnsgma and mel35645: are you both staying away from only added sugar? And how do you do that? Even cereal bars and cake and so on?
  • njmc_
    njmc_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just look at myself in the morning and rip my shirt off.
  • Tinkerbell228
    Tinkerbell228 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    "The beginning is always the hardest" My close friend called me a "warrior princess" I'm planning on DIY a shirt with that phrase. Take inspirational phrases from t's on Pinterest & make your own top with it (tie dye, fabric paint, studs..)
    At first I though wearing all black would make me more comfortable working out because it makes you look smaller. Even though I tried it & the phrase "wearing black is a funeral for your fat" I needed color to feel alive. To be motivated to move. My shoes are hot pink with blue laces. I have a tie dye t that says "when in doubt, work out" haven't worn it but it's there when I will.
    Having lots of friends knowing what you eat & do is very helpful. So you don't give up. Not just telling someone, but 'letting them read your diary'.
  • sgonsuron
    sgonsuron Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    On January 26th, I had my husband take pictures of me wearing shorts and my sports bra. I see myself in the mirror everyday, but for some reason the pictures were a wake-up call. I told him in one month (which will be this Friday), I wanted to take progress pictures. I think from then on, I will do progress pics every two months. Anyway, since January 26th, I have lost 7 pounds and I am going to keep it up!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I slap myself every time I have a burger, but no matter how much it hurts, I just carry on burgering things up....
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I stay motivated when I look at all the weight I have lost and how much time it has taken me. When I feel like I want to eat more, I change my goal to lose 1# week and that gives me more calories to eat.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    my own clothes are good motivation....... when i fall off (and i do from time to time - trip to manchester im looking at you) I just have to recommit. And keep recommitting
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Seeing my progress weekly!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,941 Member
    Options
    What motivates you?

I wanted to lose the weight ... and watching my weight diminish each week was motivational.

• bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    First I make sure my nutrition in really good, then I start exercising. I prefer using programs for each and joining a 16 week challenge to keep me accountable with before and after pics. If I eat good I exercise more, when I exercise more I prefer to eat better and for the exercise to pay off I have to eat really well. Hope that helps.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    A few months ago another user, who I don't personally know, said something on a forum and I wrote it on my mirror, I love it. It made me start lifting!

Eat right
    Lift weights
    Sleep
    Wash, rinse, repeat

-@Helloitsdan
  • sueberlin
    sueberlin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! :smiley:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have been on here for over 5 years. Yes you do lose motivation but I keep looking for the little challenges and 40 day, 16 week and such to keep me going. I have hit 2 of my goals but still have a bit to lose but I am much healthier and move active than when I started.
  • skyisover
    skyisover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Money keeps me motivated, as in, my husband and I made an agreement that I earn $2 every day I workout so I can work towards splurging on myself when I am able to see some results in a few months. I'm working towards a tattoo and by the time I can afford it I should be more toned