If you go slightly over carbs and protein allowance

Options
Hi. Can someone tell me please. If I go slightly over on the nutrients like carbs protein etc but stay within the calorie intake allowed will i still loose weight. Stupid question I know.

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The only thing that causes weight gain is eating over your maintenece calories, so no, you won't gain weight as long as you're within your daily calories. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ^^that
  • Clare0116
    Clare0116 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    quote "Can someone tell me please. If I go slightly over on the nutrients like carbs protein etc but stay within the calorie intake allowed will i still loose weight".

It depends how good your metabolism is, calorie intake, activity, your balance your of fats/carbs/protein and accurate portions.
    Excess protein and carbs are stored as fat, (which is surely what you are trying to lose? Look for the products with the lowest value of whatever you overeat on and adjust portion sizes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Clare0116 wrote: »
    quote "Can someone tell me please. If I go slightly over on the nutrients like carbs protein etc but stay within the calorie intake allowed will i still loose weight".

It depends how good your metabolism is, calorie intake, activity, your balance your of fats/carbs/protein and accurate portions.
    Excess protein and carbs are stored as fat, (which is surely what you are trying to lose? Look for the products with the lowest value of whatever you overeat on and adjust portion sizes.

nope its all about calories in vs calories out. the only way anything gets stored as fat is eating over maintenance calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Sorry that is incorrect

Excess calories are stored as fat no matter what the macro source
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Not true, sorry. A calorie surplus is the only thing that causes fat gain. There are no macros or foods that cause weight gain, unless one eats above maintenece. Different macro percentages are a personal preference. Also, MFP protein levels are on the low side...

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

No. Just no.

In fact, carbs and protein are almost never stored directly as fat.

Here’s what happens with excess calories. Assume that all three conditions represent identical increases in caloric intake, just from each of the different macros. Here’s what happens mechanistically and why all three still make you fat:

1. Excess dietary fat is directly stored as fat
    2. Excess dietary carbs increases carb oxidation, impairing fat oxidation; more of your daily fat intake is stored as fat
    3. Excess dietary protein increases protein oxidation, impairing fat oxidation; more of your daily fat intake is stored as fat

Got it? All three situations make you fat, just through different mechanisms. Fat is directly stored and carbs and protein cause you to store the fat you’re eating by decreasing fat oxidation.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html/

• mizztommas
    mizztommas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sorry that is incorrect

Do you have a source for this? I am genuinely asking because I have been having this discussion with someone and we were debating on whether or not consuming excess sugars but staying under your calories will cause you to gain weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    mizztommas wrote: »
    Sorry that is incorrect

Do you have a source for this? I am genuinely asking because I have been having this discussion with someone and we were debating on whether or not consuming excess sugars but staying under your calories will cause you to gain weight.

no consuming excess sugars wont cause weight gain if you stay under your calories. I on some days would go way over and that didnt hinder it for me. I still lost. it was the same amount of loss as when I cut out all processed/refined sugars for awhile
  • crossjared1980
    crossjared1980 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Almost everything I've read here is painful.
  • margarets79
    margarets79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • Sued0nim
    edited February 2016
    Options
    mizztommas wrote: »
    Sorry that is incorrect

Ask them to find a source that demonstrates how, in the absence of excess calories, anything can cause a weight (meaning fat) gain. That would be absolutely fascinating - what process enables one to create matter out of nothing?

I don't have a specific source but basic laws of physics should suffice.

ETA - I must exclude water weight fluctuations from this as that can of course affect scale weight within generally a 5lb margin - hormones, change-up in exercise, dehydration, carb intake after low carb, excess sodium all cause the body to increase water weight - it's not fat though

• acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options

yup
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Meaning?
  • stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Cals in v Cals out.

i wouldnt worry about the macros as much. if anything with being under your calorie allowance and having more protein and carbs it means your more likely to lose fat instead of muscle. your boby will feed off the carbs and the protein will feed and repair/enhance your muscles. win win if you ask me.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I never pay the slightest attention to my macros, except as a general way of thinking about whether the trend is long-term healthy or not. I don't think it has a thing to do with weight loss, which is CICO.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    The only other one I pay attention to is sodium. However, that's a personal preference as salt makes me hold onto water really bad... and then I don't see any progress on the scale.
    Plus all that salt is bad for my heart/blood pressure/etc.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Well, thank you for taking the time to point out that it's painful while avoiding an explanation as to why, correcting bad information, etc. Your comment made this thread much more useful!

Aaaaaanyways. Being off track on macros could have an effect if you have a medical condition but a normal healthy person will lose weight when eating in a deficit regardless of macro composition. Going over or under your macro settings may leave you feeling hungry or tired depending on your body but that's why you have to play with them to find a good balance for you. For instance, eating too many carbs makes me crave sweet things. Don't know why but it does so I've tried to control them more closely.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,994 Member
    Options

The only thing correct about this is it does depend on calorie intake. If your calorie intake is less than the calories you need for maintenance you will lose weight.

I try to make sure I get enough protien and then let the fats and carbs fall where they will while staying at my calorie goal. So far I've lost 30 pounds so I guess that works.
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would say that GENERALLY you should be fine. HOWEVER, if you are on a low carb diet then not only do you have have to watch your CICO but you also need to be very aware of your macros. I, personally, do low carb high fat with CICO and I have to watch my numbers all day long. If I swing too far out of my numbers I can get knocked out of my ketosis (it's a type of fat burning where I make my body use fat as fuel as opposed to sugar) and then it'll take a couple days to get back in the swing.

Some people who do straight CICO find that too much of a certain macro will stall weight loss as well. I found that too many carbs when I did straight CICO would stall me for up to a week or more (Which was part of my going low carb). Everyone's body reacts differently to macros. Some people can do straight CICO and lose a ton of weight, some people have to watch both. It's a matter of learning how your body reacts and then tweeking until you find what works for you.

I always say that there are many different types of diets out there because we are all different. Granted CICO is always the sure bet but how you eat in those calories is as important, if not more, than the number at the end of the day!