Need help understanding lack of weight loss

Replies

• donalynvaughn
    donalynvaughn Posts: 23 Member
    You can still eat a high amount of calories eating healthy. In fact, many junk foods are low in calories. I second the advice here. Get a scale, measuring cups, and spoons, and measure and log everything. Even log any supplements you take, or sugar-free gum (they often have calories too). Don't eat back any calories you earn from exercise (that was the mistake I was making for a while). Do these things, and the weight will come off. Good luck!!
  • powercatbergie
    powercatbergie Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2016
    I would recommend logging. Not logging more, but logging everything you eat for a week. And be super honest about it into putting everything on it. May I ask why you are not doing it? It has worked and it's working for thousands of people in here, all coming with different points of view in relationships with their diets, eating habits, goals and relationships with food.

It might sound overwhelming but it is really not that big of a deal. Just give it a try.

When I started logging I wasn't thinking on dieting, I just wanted to know what I was doing wrong, and found out my caloric intake regularly was 2300+ calories, ohhhh.... then started to adjust eating habits, nothing perfect, I am not, personally haven't taken anything out of my diet, but I am trying to fit food I like not passing my daily caloric intake which is about 1450 cal daily. Everybody had different caloric intake, you can calculate it here and in the forums you can find great info about it. Little changes in habits, things you can sustain for the rest of your life without feeling deprived is what use to work best in the long run.

I also would suggest to spend time reading success stories, they are very encouraging and filled with tons of very useful info.

It's not an exact science and works different for everybody, or everybody have their own ways, and it's all good, you just have to find what can work for you.

And give it yourself plenty of time....

Regards,
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Not currently logging but I guarantee you my calorie intake is less than previous due to my daily habit changes. Point is: eating less, drinking water and exercising more is getting same result as no exercise and poor eating habits. There has to be physiology reasons such as muscle gain and water intake but I must be wrong. Will try logging my calories more.

No there's not likely to be.

I refer you back to the flow chart above. You're not logging and therein probably lies the problem. You are guessing your calorie intake and when you start logging you'll probably find it's a lot more than you think.

Are you also guessing your output? How do you know how many calories you burned from the various exercises you did?

If you're not losing weight you're eating at maintenance and have not created a significant enough calorie deficit.

• AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Not currently logging but I guarantee you my calorie intake is less than previous due to my daily habit changes. Point is: eating less, drinking water and exercising more is getting same result as no exercise and poor eating habits. There has to be physiology reasons such as muscle gain and water intake but I must be wrong. Will try logging my calories more.

Our metabolism is very complicated....

• choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Just because your calorie intake is less than it previously was, does not mean you are in the calorie deficit needed to lose weight. You could now be eating at maintenance and therefore not losing weight. You could even still be eating at a surplus, just less of a surplus.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I echo weighing and logging of all foods. Eyeballing/cups/spoons are waaaaay off.
    If you aren't losing, you're eating to maintain your weight, not lose it.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Use the flow chart above. It is 100% fool proof and to get it work, you have to weigh your food using the food scale and do not underestimate your exercise calorie burns and how many exercise calories you eat back if you do eat some of them back.

Measuring spoons and cups are just bad ideas when dialing into your daily/weekly deficit, you can eat way more than you thing.. Also, do you cook with oil, butter, and do you use condiments? Got to log these too.. These are creepy crawly calories that will derail the deficit. I will just say, take this from someone that was hard headed as heck in not getting a food scale in the beginning. Now it is my third arm in the kitchen..
  • GlamourVintage
    GlamourVintage Posts: 60 Member

:s
  • rreynolds2905
    rreynolds2905 Posts: 19 Member
    I am currently going to a weight loss clinic, they say do not drink anything caramel colored. So props to you for cutting out the diet pepsi. I was a tea/vanilla coke drinker for a long time, it's a very tough change to make. I also have an office job, which causes me not to eat and puts my body into starvation mode. When I was counting calories several months ago I figured out in the evenings i was eating a lot more than I thought. I had a bad habit of taste testing and mindlessly putting food in my mouth with out even realizing it. Of course I couldn't see any change even when logging no more than a 1000 calories a day. (My 14 yr old started pointing it out to me).
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    I am currently going to a weight loss clinic, they say do not drink anything caramel colored. So props to you for cutting out the diet pepsi. I was a tea/vanilla coke drinker for a long time, it's a very tough change to make. I also have an office job, which causes me not to eat and puts my body into starvation mode. When I was counting calories several months ago I figured out in the evenings i was eating a lot more than I thought. I had a bad habit of taste testing and mindlessly putting food in my mouth with out even realizing it. Of course I couldn't see any change even when logging no more than a 1000 calories a day. (My 14 yr old started pointing it out to me).
    • No such thing as starvation mode in the way you're describing it.
    • If you weren't seeing weight loss at 1000 calories per day, you were not eating 1000 calories per day. Sorry, but it's true.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    I think a talk with your doctor might help. It may be something medical. And, btw, I think the rude comments are unnecessay. If you aren't positively adding to the discussion, why respond?
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited February 2016

What in the world does food color have to do with weight loss? The only way eliminating tea would help you lose weight is if you were drinking tea with a lot other things in it (creamers, sugar), thereby eliminating a lot of calories. But are you seriously telling me that tea--with nothing in it--is detrimental to weight loss? Please elaborate.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member

I guarantee this is why you aren't seeing the scale change. You have no clue how much you're taking in by not logging.

Invest $20 in a food scale. Weigh all your solid foods on a digital scale and use measuring cups, measuring spoons for your caloric liquids. Log everything in mfp. Watch the scale go down.

Or don't. It's your choice.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Op- weight loss comes down to calories. Eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight.
    Calorie deficit - weight loss

We've all been new before and swore we where eating sooo little but where not. So get yourself a food scale and learn to weigh everything in grams. Measure liquids with a measuring cup. Be as accurate as possible.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member

This is misinformation

Please explain how a diet Pepsi which is Carmel colored with zero calories would stop weight loss ?!
    ( it wouldn't. This is misinformation.weight loss clinics are notorious for spreading around bad info.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

What in the world does food color have to do with weight loss? The only way eliminating tea would help you lose weight is if you were drinking tea with a lot other things in it (creamers, sugar), thereby eliminating a lot of calories. But are you seriously telling me that tea--with nothing in it--is detrimental to weight loss? Please elaborate.

Maybe she was talking about iced tea?? I'm unfamiliar with the additives, if any, they use in iced tea..
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Please, get a food scale and journal everything, even if it means writing it on a napkin or carrying wrappers in your purse to plug the calories into your phone or laptop later. From personal experience I used measuring cups forever because that's what I was taught was ok, but then realized that I was eating at maintenance level. Then I started using my scale to weigh everything including fruits, veggies, and condiments. And amazingly I lost weight, plateau over!

Listen to these nice people. They know what they're talking about. :)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member

Maybe she was talking about iced tea?? I'm unfamiliar with the additives, if any, they use in iced tea..

Iced tea can be sweetened or unsweetened; that's why I said "unless you've added things to it like creamers or sugar". But from her post it seems that she believes that it's the color that causes weight gain. That's just not true.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member

LOL - first I've heard this one - working at an office job puts your body into starvation mode!!?? please elaborate...