Runner who wants to incorporate strength training..

Options
Does anybody have advice on how I could introduce strength training? I'm currently running 3-4 times a week but I want to build some muscle so I'm a bit more lean.
I'm thinking of getting a basic gym membership so help aid this. Does anybody have any tips or experience in this? i'm a little scared because i've never done strength training so i have no muscles.. haha.

Replies

• jrfully
    jrfully Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you need to find a trainer and let them know your goals. You need the strength training to help keep you healthy for your running. I strength train 3 times a week.
  • llillio
    llillio Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Squats and Lunges, and many variations of them.
    I'm glad you're considering strength training as a runner. I used to run marathons and incorporating the strength training was huge help. Especially for the San Fran marathon... lots of climbing there.

Also, don't be stingy with core workouts - abs, gluts, back, shoulders (surprisingly useful/needed for running).

Good luck.
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position - running 3-4 times a week. I joined a gym a few days ago to incorporate strength training. Had my induction yesterday and I've got a programme to start with which includes core and strength training.
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    llillio wrote: »
    Squats and Lunges, and many variations of them.
    I'm glad you're considering strength training as a runner. I used to run marathons and incorporating the strength training was huge help. Especially for the San Fran marathon... lots of climbing there.

Also, don't be stingy with core workouts - abs, gluts, back, shoulders (surprisingly useful/needed for running).

Good luck.

thanks! and you're absolutely right!! I had never considered strength training until my friend (who is very fit) told me it was essential!
  • DaphneSW
    Options
    I'm in the same position - running 3-4 times a week. I joined a gym a few days ago to incorporate strength training. Had my induction yesterday and I've got a programme to start with which includes core and strength training.

wow that's so cool! is the program part of your membership with some kind of personal trainer?
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've been running 3 times a week since I took it up 8 years ago. I have recently started doing kettlebells 3 or 4 times a week too, it's already made such a difference, I'm starting to see some muscles! I just went along to a kettlebell class to see if I liked it, I loved it so now go once a week to the kb class and the rest of the time workout at home.
  • Marathonsmile
    Marathonsmile Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Interesting post! Does anyone have any YouTube videos/website links with some good ideas?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I use FitnessBlender for my non-running days. During the colder weather, during standard time when it is just too dark for me to run after work, I use FitnessBlender exclusively 5/6 days a week (combine cardio with lifting on their programs). Once Daylight Savings gets here, and it is lighter (and warmer) my plan is run Tues, Thurs and Sat (Saturday being a longer run), FitnessBlender strength Mon, Weds, Fri with Sunday as a rest day.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Strong Lifts? It's only 3 days per week.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What engodwin said... Stronglifts. Read up on it, download the app on your phone, watch vids on form.. Watch them again.. Then do work.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    What engodwin said... Stronglifts. Read up on it, download the app on your phone, watch vids on form.. Watch them again.. Then do work.

This is what I am currently doing. I do SL5x5 3 times as week and run 3 times a week and have a rest day on either Saturday/Sunday.

• engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    engodwin wrote: »
    Strong Lifts? It's only 3 days per week.

Yea.... only 3 days per week lol

I didn't say it was an "easy" 3 days a week! ;)
  • reisbaron
    reisbaron Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Something like StrongLifts or Starting Strength would be a great start. Learn the essential movements from a trainer, and start slow. Once you gain confidence in the movements add a little bit of weight and see how you do. Squats, lunges, deadlifts and core exercises will take your running to the next level. There is a female StrongLifts forum on MFP. I would go there, as it will likely answer all of your questions. Good luck!
  • DaphneSW
    Options
    Damn - so much input. thanks guys!! I will for sure look into stronglifts :):)
  • DaphneSW
    Options
    reisbaron wrote: »
    Something like StrongLifts or Starting Strength would be a great start. Learn the essential movements from a trainer, and start slow. Once you gain confidence in the movements add a little bit of weight and see how you do. Squats, lunges, deadlifts and core exercises will take your running to the next level. There is a female StrongLifts forum on MFP. I would go there, as it will likely answer all of your questions. Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up about female stronglifts forum.. I'll have a wee lurk around there :)