Favorite pre and post workout supplements?

Options

Replies

• bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I take a highly undenatured whey protein concentrate with minimal processing using low heat techniques. Isolates are highly processed so I recommend a really high quality whey protein concentrate over isolates.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bruhaha007 wrote: »
    I take a highly undenatured whey protein concentrate with minimal processing using low heat techniques. Isolates are highly processed so I recommend a really high quality whey protein concentrate over isolates.

There are certainly advantages to a concentrate such as preservation of lactoferrin but it's not good for people with lactose intolerance. However, the rest of what you say sounds more like marketing tbh. It's still highly processed, not that is an issue for me but it's just the reality.

Also, I believe bio availability is higher for isolates.
  • CFaulkner97
    CFaulkner97 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have had much experience with many different preworkouts. I do agree with taking coffee but it personally makes me nauseous. I took c4 for the longest until I found Gold Standard's preworkout. This brand never fails me
  • _bellator_
    _bellator_ Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Pre: C4 or EVP
    Intra: Scivation Xtend BCAAs
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks @_bellator_
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think for the most part these supplements are just marketing gimmicks...I do take a whey supplement pretty much everyday because I know that without it I'm not hitting my targets...other than that, I usually have an apple on the way to the gym and dinner shortly after I get home.

Is whey a supplement strictly speaking? Its just whats left after cheesemaking with the water taken out. It is to cheese what skimmed milk is to cream....more or less.

Yes it's a highly processed supplement, because whey powder isn't what you get after separating curds and whey in cheese making. It's a highly processed substance often acid bathed to further purify and denature it. If you want the real whey you are thinking about than what you'll want is quark or ricotta cheese.

Note, I'm not demonizing processing, I use whey powder but I'm just pointing out that it's whey protein and not really whey per se.

I'm not demonising processing either. Loads of foods are "processed"....cheesemaking is a process, salting and curing is a process, grinding wheat or rolling oats are processes....

I had mostly assumed that whey powder was what was left when you evaporated the water off. I am familiar with the "raw" product. We used to feed it to pigs back in the day (when regs allowed it).
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think for the most part these supplements are just marketing gimmicks...I do take a whey supplement pretty much everyday because I know that without it I'm not hitting my targets...other than that, I usually have an apple on the way to the gym and dinner shortly after I get home.

Is whey a supplement strictly speaking? Its just whats left after cheesemaking with the water taken out. It is to cheese what skimmed milk is to cream....more or less.

Yes it's a highly processed supplement, because whey powder isn't what you get after separating curds and whey in cheese making. It's a highly processed substance often acid bathed to further purify and denature it. If you want the real whey you are thinking about than what you'll want is quark or ricotta cheese.

Note, I'm not demonizing processing, I use whey powder but I'm just pointing out that it's whey protein and not really whey per se.

I'm not demonising processing either. Loads of foods are "processed"....cheesemaking is a process, salting and curing is a process, grinding wheat or rolling oats are processes....

I had mostly assumed that whey powder was what was left when you evaporated the water off. I am familiar with the "raw" product. We used to feed it to pigs back in the day (when regs allowed it).

Concentrates (and perhaps milk protein concentrate to be more exact) are probably the equivalent of what you made before but concentrate is considered low quality in the supplement industry . Do the regs now see it as a biologically hazardous byproduct? Oddly enough that's what it is considered in yogurt making from my understanding.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    When I'm an elite level athlete who lives by marginal gains, and when a 00000.2% better recovery may be the difference between winning and losing I'll spend money on the latest SUPER XCITE ALPHA DOG ENHANCE V2.

Until then I'll just eat and train, and occasionally snort some whey.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I do absolutely nothing pre or post. I do intermittent fasting so I wake up, workout, and then wait another 4 hours before lunch. It did take some getting used to but I've had no ill affects because of it. I do have some BCAAs that I keep around for when I have a really heavy workout but other than that I just take a multi at lunch and whey for a snack.

I agree that some supplements do work but even if they don't and its all in your head that is fine as well. The brain is a powerful tool and using that to your advantage can only be beneficial.
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

Concentrates (and perhaps milk protein concentrate to be more exact) are probably the equivalent of what you made before but concentrate is considered low quality in the supplement industry . Do the regs now see it as a biologically hazardous byproduct? Oddly enough that's what it is considered in yogurt making from my understanding.

No, it's more that since the foot and mouth epidemic in the early 2000s (in Britain), you cannot feed pigs anything that has been near a kitchen. You can probably get away with whey on a technicality as nothing is 'cooked' as such during cheesemaking, but I don't think farmers are willing to risk it (or risk admitting it)..
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

No, it's more that since the foot and mouth epidemic in the early 2000s (in Britain), you cannot feed pigs anything that has been near a kitchen. You can probably get away with whey on a technicality as nothing is 'cooked' as such during cheesemaking, but I don't think farmers are willing to risk it (or risk admitting it)..

Ahh ok that's something I hadn't heard about coming from that outbreak. What's the alternative they are using? I'm guessing it's more expensive.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I take creatine and nitric oxide prior to my workout and BCAA's/protein powder within 30 minutes after. Curious what others are taking and is producing results for you?

I love wasting money on supplements!!!

Currently for pre workout I take a ECA stack and normally have a large coffee before that

Pre workouts I currently have, but am not taking cause of the ECA are

5% 5150
    Hyde (my favorite!)
    PPK

Intra workout

AllMax BCAA's
    I add in Beta Alanine and Arginine 3 and 5 grams of each

5 grams Creatine
    1 TBS chia seeds
    1 scoop of whey

I have allot of different wheys also, Kaizen, Body Logix, Mutant Pro 100 - Mutant Pro 100 is my favorite, by far the best tasting I've ever had!

Told you I like to waste my money on supps ;)
  • natlierees
    natlierees Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi I take BCAA because I am vegetarian 10g pre/during workout. Sometime I use PHD VMX pre-workout but only for cardio HIIT and Tabata. I usually just have something to eat before I lift a balanced protein & Carb and I drink a Whey shake post workout
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I take creatine and nitric oxide prior to my workout and BCAA's/protein powder within 30 minutes after. Curious what others are taking and is producing results for you?

I love wasting money on supplements!!!

Currently for pre workout I take a ECA stack and normally have a large coffee before that

Pre workouts I currently have, but am not taking cause of the ECA are

5% 5150
    Hyde (my favorite!)
    PPK

Intra workout

AllMax BCAA's
    I add in Beta Alanine and Arginine 3 and 5 grams of each

5 grams Creatine
    1 TBS chia seeds
    1 scoop of whey

I have allot of different wheys also, Kaizen, Body Logix, Mutant Pro 100 - Mutant Pro 100 is my favorite, by far the best tasting I've ever had!

Told you I like to waste my money on supps ;)

I was in the same boat years ago. Then one day I was cleaning out my cupboards and threw away about $1500 in suppliments that I never used. Yeah, that was an eye opener and now I'm using only whey and creatine and my gains are better than ever so it proved to me I was wasting my money in a huge way. :anguished:
  • SteveJWatson
    Options

Ahh ok that's something I hadn't heard about coming from that outbreak. What's the alternative they are using? I'm guessing it's more expensive.

Milled feeds only now. Most likely soya and other bean meal for protein content.
  • Cryren8972
    Cryren8972 Posts: 142 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Juice Plus Complete shakes....they are amazing fuel, and they reduce oxidative stress along with uric acid levels. I have little to no soreness after a workout.
    I take Juice Plus Capsules every day as well...over 20 fruits and veggies (whole foods) in a capsule. Fantastic product!
    Used by many Olympic athletes.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Pre: Water, bananas

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Cryren8972 wrote: »
    Juice Plus Complete shakes....they are amazing fuel, and they reduce oxidative stress along with uric acid levels. I have little to no soreness after a workout.
    I take Juice Plus Capsules every day as well...over 20 fruits and veggies (whole foods) in a capsule. Fantastic product!

How do you swallow something so big?

Notsrs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I am sure that is what is promoted, but I highly doubt that is reality. Dosage is a huge thing. So they could put trace amounts of 20 fruits and veggies, but I guarantee you that by dosage, it is no where near that. Also, that is no different than the shakeology pitch.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I am sure that is what is promoted, but I highly doubt that is reality. Dosage is a huge thing. So they could put trace amounts of 20 fruits and veggies, but I guarantee you that by dosage, it is no where near that. Also, that is no different than the shakeology pitch.

No, it's just a HUGE capsule! ;)