Any endomorphs?

Options
Hello, I'm an endomorph and have read online that endomorphs have a more difficult time losing weight than the other body types. I'm 4"11 and weigh 129 lbs. What are some diet and exercise tips for endomorphs? I want to loose 30 lbs in 12 weeks.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That body type stuff isn't true. You lose weight by eating less than you burn. And your goal is too aggressive to be met, unfortunately. At most you can lose 12-15 pounds in that time frame.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    That body type stuff isn't true. You lose weight by eating less than you burn. And your goal is too aggressive to be met, unfortunately. At most you can lose 12-15 pounds in that time frame.

This. I hate to be brutally honest here, but the body type stuff is just an excuse someone came up with why they weren't losing weight "despite doing everything right." Get a food scale, choose correct entries in MFP, eat at a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. But it looks like you have unrealistic expectations of weight loss, so I would read up on some of the newbie stickies on the getting started forum.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Don't set yourself up to fail, more than 2 pounds a week when you aren't obese is unrealistic. Just put yourself into a mild caloric deficit and weight and log everything you eat and you'll make progress.

Eat less than you burn and you'll lose weight, regardless of "body type"
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Somatotypes don't exist. You're human.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    "Body types" are bunk.

• Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Six pounds in 12 weeks would be more realistic.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    The idea of somatotypes were devoloped by a psychologist who thought that your personality/aptitude/worth were identifiable by your body shape. They are complete bunk both psychologically and physiologically. Read up on William Herbert Sheldon.

You're not going to lose nearly 25% of your body weight in 12 weeks. The 6 pounds mentioned by @Rosyone would be a good goal considering your size.
  • Krishnaya108
    Krishnaya108 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Rosyone wrote: »
    Six pounds in 12 weeks would be more realistic.

It does sound more realistic. Btw I calculated my body fat percentage and it came to 26%.

• Ckeymom
    Ckeymom Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My doctor is the one who introduced the body type thing to me. She says it is true that different body types carry fat and muscle differently, and lose/gain muscle differently. I can walk through a weight room and bulk, and if I do too much cardio, I gain, no matter what my caloric intake is. She also said that different bodies utilize calories differently, and wants me to concentrate on healthy fats, protein, and veggies, and stay away from grains. It seems to be working. I've lost 17 pounds so far. So if the body type thing is bunk, don't tell me. Maybe it's the placebo effect, but it's the first time in years that the scale is moving. ;)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's the placebo effect, and frankly, I'd be skeptical of any doctor who still believes in that hokum.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ckeymom wrote: »
    if I do too much cardio, I gain, no matter what my caloric intake is.
    This is scientifically impossible. Your body stores fat because it has *excess* calories. It cannot make fat out of nothing.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ammo7 wrote: »
    if I do too much cardio, I gain, no matter what my caloric intake is.
    This is scientifically impossible. Your body stores fat because it has *excess* calories. It cannot make fat out of nothing.
    You can't make this stuff up.
  • Krishnaya108
    Krishnaya108 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    She also said that different bodies utilize calories differently, and wants me to concentrate on healthy fats, protein, and veggies, and stay away from grains.

Yeah, I agree on the no grains part. Back in April of last year, I literally ate broccoli, yogurt, fruit and veggie patties everyday. That was when I saw my weight go down from 122-117 in about 2 weeks. I'm going to go back to that even though I know that what I ate before was definitely less than 1,000 calories. But I guess all the fiber from the broccoli made me feel full. But if I feel full and still haven't finished 1,000 calories, should I finish them?
  • hev481
    hev481 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    She also said that different bodies utilize calories differently, and wants me to concentrate on healthy fats, protein, and veggies, and stay away from grains.

Yeah, I agree on the no grains part. Back in April of last year, I literally ate broccoli, yogurt, fruit and veggie patties everyday. That was when I saw my weight go down from 122-117 in about 2 weeks. I'm going to go back to that even though I know that what I ate before was definitely less than 1,000 calories. But I guess all the fiber from the broccoli made me feel full. But if I feel full and still haven't finished 1,000 calories, should I finish them?

The reason you lost weight eating yogurt and produce is because you were probably eating fewer calories than when you were eating a carb-based diet. Again, this has nothing to do with your body type and everything to do with eating fewer calories than you burn! If it worked for you, you should do it again, but perhaps a less extreme version that is more sustainable for you (since you mentioned you stopped after 2 weeks).

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    She says it is true that different body types carry fat and muscle differently, and lose/gain muscle differently.
    I will say, that part is true. Different people do have a different distribution of fat and muscle. And not everyone will lose fat from the same places first.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It's the placebo effect, and frankly, I'd be skeptical of any doctor who still believes in that hokum.

for realz though lol

sure, people carry weight differently, and lose in different places at different rates. but the SCIENCE of losing weight is the same regardless of body type.

burn more than you eat.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I keep starting posts to this thread and then erasing them.

Nobody gains weight from doing too much cardio, unless said cardio is an eating competition.
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Body stuff is bull, but I'm not surprised a doctor might still believe in that, our knowledge on the human body is constantly changing and that doctor might not be up to date. Also at the end of the day calories are calories whether they come from the mold under the sink or your garden. If you are eating less than you burn and gaining weight you aren't different, you're bad at accurately counting calories in and calories out. You may be over estimating how much you burn and under estimating how much you eat. If I think I am burning 2300 a day while eating 1800 but gaining or maintaining I might really be burning 2000 and eating 2100.