I'm pregnant and gaining weight like a mad woman.

Options
I just entered my second trimester. I am 15 weeks along. As in my previous post I mentioned I use to have an eating disorder. Since i've found out I was pregnant I have kicked it to the curbed and I plan to keep it that way even after I have the baby. I've gained 25 lbs already and it's really eating at my mind. I should just now be starting to gain weight. I am 5'7 and my starting weight was 139, now i am 165 (and it seems to still be packing on). I would like any advice anyone can give me, my doctor already knows about everything. The closer I get to 170 the more I start to get panicky. If i could at least maintain or lose about 5-10 lbs I would be perfectly happy. I really liked this blogilates by Cassey Ho but I don't know if it is pregnancy friendly. It's a lot of ab exercises and it requires no equipment.

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend that you follow your doctor's advice regarding your weight during your pregnancy rather than asking random internet strangers for their opinions.
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hopefully you can focus on eating healthy instead of weight gain. Eating whole foods allows me to eat copious amounts of food while maintaining my weight. You can worry about weight loss after the baby is born. For now just focus on nutrition and the baby. It will all work out in the end:)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Please please speak to your midwife on this. You need to gain weight faster than most due to your previous low weight.

My DD1 was born weighing under 3lbs due to my ED. She is a healthy 20 year old now but that is no thanks to me.
    I watched her born with under developed lungs, not able to swallow on her own. She stopped breathing and was lucky to survive.

Your a Mum NOW. Not after the birth. Please put your child first.

I'd be happy to accept a friend request from you, I wish you strength to fight this xx
  • blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Sometimes some women gain extra weight during pregnancy and there's not really anything you can do about it. I gained a TON of water weight right before the second trimester. (132lbs pre pregnancy to 194ish before birth). It made me feel fat and like I did something wrong but it wasn't my fault. I lost most of it in 2 weeks. If you are allowed to exercise, exercise as much as you're allowed. Don't worry too much. Worry about what's best for your baby. Talk to your doctor again if you feel like you need to.
  • 4pancakes
    4pancakes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and get a referral to a therapist, if needed. Stop weighing yourself. Throw out the scale, and weigh facing backward at the doctor's office.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    25 lbs. is not excessive weight gain in a pregnancy, especially if you began the pregnancy on the lean side. Losing 5-10 lbs. would be a mistake. Listen to your midwife and worry about losing weight after your baby is born.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor before you take any advice on the internet.

That being said; I gained 60 pounds in both my pregnancies and it sucked. My first pregnancy I ran 3 miles every day of my pregnancy and I still gained all that weight. My second pregnancy I barely walked 1000 steps a day and still gained the same amount. It's really about what you eat during pregnancy. Set your diary to gain .5 pounds a week and start logging. It's okay to gain weight now and you can lose it all later. Baby is most important right now, mommy's body can come later.
  • swimmerGirl85
    swimmerGirl85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 21 weeks and I have put on a lot more weight than I initially thought (20 lbs so far). I was very conscious about it at first and very scared since my doctor initially told me i should put that weight on mostly in the 3rd trimester. I couldn't understand what my body was doing or where I was going wrong. This is my first pregnancy, and there was so much I didn't understand, so much I still don't yet.

I talked with my doctor about an exercise schedule. Without working myself ragged, I'm still able to run daily, swim, and do yoga regularly. I've come to terms with the weight gain, because my baby is very healthy so far and really I am too.

Instead of worrying about your weight, worry about your health and your babies health. Talk to you doctor, discuss exercise and nutrition while pregnant. And find a support group.

Best of luck with the remainder of your pregnancy!!
  • ashleyminnich1
    ashleyminnich1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Talk to your provider. Your right that gaining that much by fifteen weeks is kind of a lot. I wouldn't be too concerned, because it can even out. All pregnant woman gain different. Continue to log what you are eating and watch your sugar intake. It's a big deal in pregnancy. Especially if you seem to be gaining rapidly. Make sure you are getting your protein and water. Those are big. The general rule in calorie intake is to use your average to maintain calories in the first trimester and then add three hundred a day to that in the second and third trimester to leave room for baby growth. Unless you feel like you need more. Then, eat them in the form of good foods.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Talk to your provider. Your right that gaining that much by fifteen weeks is kind of a lot. I wouldn't be too concerned, because it can even out. All pregnant woman gain different. Continue to log what you are eating and watch your sugar intake. It's a big deal in pregnancy. Especially if you seem to be gaining rapidly. Make sure you are getting your protein and water. Those are big. The general rule in calorie intake is to use your average to maintain calories in the first trimester and then add three hundred a day to that in the second and third trimester to leave room for baby growth. Unless you feel like you need more. Then, eat them in the form of good foods.

She was under eating and possibly underweight prior to getting pregnant. Just moving up to a normal level of eating will have an effect on her weight. Telling someone who has an eating disorder that they are gaining rapidly, especially when there are likely other factors involved is not a great idea.

OP, discuss your concerns with your health care provider. Do not attempt to lose weight.
  • woodacw
    woodacw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please, for you and your baby's sake don't let ED interfere with nourishing your body and soul. In addition to your ob/gyn seek help from a good dietian and therapist that are experts in ED. You are not alone in your struggle. Don't let ED win -- he's a thief of life and you are about to give life. My hope for you is that you find love and acceptance and take care of yourself and your baby.

Call the Center for Change in Orem Utah. They are the best in the country for ED and helping pregnant women with ED.

Help is out there and so is poor advice about dieting and exercise.

Peace

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just entered my second trimester. I am 15 weeks along. As in my previous post I mentioned I use to have an eating disorder. Since i've found out I was pregnant I have kicked it to the curbed and I plan to keep it that way even after I have the baby. I've gained 25 lbs already and it's really eating at my mind. I should just now be starting to gain weight. I am 5'7 and my starting weight was 139, now i am 165 (and it seems to still be packing on). I would like any advice anyone can give me, my doctor already knows about everything. The closer I get to 170 the more I start to get panicky. If i could at least maintain or lose about 5-10 lbs I would be perfectly happy. I really liked this blogilates by Cassey Ho but I don't know if it is pregnancy friendly. It's a lot of ab exercises and it requires no equipment.

If the question is whether you should slow down with your eating, the answer is probably yes, as long as you do not end up to the other extreme. I would suggest you talk to your therapist (or find a therapist if you do not have one) and also ask your dr for a reference to a dietician or see if the hospital provides eating plans for pregnant women. You cannot afford to lose, this is definitely not safe, but you should ideally slow down with the gain. If you do not feel it is safe to do this on your own, seek professional help. It will nto happen with adding exercise, you need to change how you eat.
  • Usa9872001
    Usa9872001 Posts: 27 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    What does your doctor say about all off this? You need 300 calories above your maintenance goal for a healthy pregnancy. "Eating for two" is a really not the case. Current guidelines are a gain of 25-35 pounds if you are of a normal weight prior to pregnancy and 15 pounds if you are morbidly obese. While it is certainly okay to workout through the pregnancy, you should only be starting a new exercise program under the supervision of your OB/GYN.
    Best wishes for a healthy pregnancy and baby!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

My yoga teacher training said intensive ab work is not recommended for women in their second and third trimesters. You should really be discussing your exercise routine with your doctor rather than strangers on the internet. We are not qualified to advise you, and following random advice could hurt your baby.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    First, talk to your OB and tell her you had an ED.

Second, pregnancy weight gain isn't necessarily consistent and isn't uniform. With my 1st pregnancy, I gained a lot of weight at the beginning, especially around the 8 week timeframe. My weight gain plateaued and stopped around the 34 week mark. With my 2nd, I gained NO weight during the first trimester. I gained most of my weight at the end of my pregnancy. Oddly, I gained 37lbs the first time and 35lbs the second time despite the differences. Regular check-ups with the dr will be beneficial.
  • ArtsyDarling
    ArtsyDarling Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the input. I can't say its exactly what I want to hear but it is comforting to know for the most part its not out of the ordinary. Especially considering the condition my body was in prior. A lot of people are telling me I look better now than I did when I was 140, (i was never meant to be skinny, 140 was a sickly weight for me) I just can't help but think the gain is so rapid and that I can at least stop it and make it a normal weight gain. What I've read I should be starting to gain a pound a week. Not 5 lbs a week, ya know? I am putting my baby first no matter what. I'm just afraid it will become overwhelming after I have the baby and may throw me back into my bad cycle and that's the last thing I want because I've been trying to recover for quite some time now. The baby was just the push I needed to start.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're making healthy choices for you and baby. Keep in mind that weight gain during pregnancy can be inconsistent. So maybe you're gaining faster now, not so much later. Just be healthy. I gained over 50lbs with each of my kids. They were healthy, I was healthy, and the extra weight came off. So relax & take care of both of you!!
  • ArtsyDarling
    ArtsyDarling Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Usa9872001 wrote: »
    What does your doctor say about all off this? You need 300 calories above your maintenance goal for a healthy pregnancy. "Eating for two" is a really not the case. Current guidelines are a gain of 25-35 pounds if you are of a normal weight prior to pregnancy and 15 pounds if you are morbidly obese. While it is certainly okay to workout through the pregnancy, you should only be starting a new exercise program under the supervision of your OB/GYN.

Honestly when I told my doctor about my ED she looked like a deer in headlights, she seemed like she had no idea what to do. I even asked her about good foods that contain folic acid and nutrients and she had to go check online. I think I may have put her on the spot though. She told me to eat small frequent meals to keep my metabolism boosted. I go to see her tomorrow for the second time. I've only meet with her once.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Usa9872001 wrote: »

Honestly when I told my doctor about my ED she looked like a deer in headlights, she seemed like she had no idea what to do. I even asked her about good foods that contain folic acid and nutrients and she had to go check online. I think I may have put her on the spot though. She told me to eat small frequent meals to keep my metabolism boosted. I go to see her tomorrow for the second time. I've only meet with her once.

An ob gyn could not advise you about ED. This is a topic to discuss with your therapist.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian. The three of you can work together to make this pregnancy a healthy one.