How to eat low carb/ high protein!

Options
My doctor suggested I eat very low carb, a little fat, and mostly protein in order to lose weight. While this seemed easy at first, it is seemingly very hard. I thought, well I won't use bread anymore, I'll eat very little pasta, rice, and potatoes and other carbs and eat them as sides and not the full meal, and eat mostly protein all day till dinner. Then as I come to notice that carbs are in everything! No matter how well I think I'm eating, my little pie chart is always showing that I ate almost 50% carbs for my day. Any tips to switch this up a bit? I eat a lot of chicken and salmon, and I eat a lot of eggs and veggies, so I thought I was doing good.

Replies

• stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If my doctor told me to eat "very low carb, little fat and mostly protein", I'd take that to mean:

1) The main source of carbs would be vegetables - pick from the low carb list: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatveg.htm
    2) When cooking, I would go for mostly baked lean meat/fish, using dry rubs or low carb sauces - no oil, butter, oil based marinades

Good luck to you. I don't think I could do it.

However, I would ask him straight out to give you a breakdown of macros. What is the acceptable amount of carbs and fats a day, so you can see what you can squeeze in.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested I eat very low carb, a little fat, and mostly protein in order to lose weight. While this seemed easy at first, it is seemingly very hard. I thought, well I won't use bread anymore, I'll eat very little pasta, rice, and potatoes and other carbs and eat them as sides and not the full meal, and eat mostly protein all day till dinner. Then as I come to notice that carbs are in everything! No matter how well I think I'm eating, my little pie chart is always showing that I ate almost 50% carbs for my day. Any tips to switch this up a bit? I eat a lot of chicken and salmon, and I eat a lot of eggs and veggies, so I thought I was doing good.
    How is lots of chicken, salmon, eggs and veggies coming out to 50% carbs?

What vegetables are you eating? That link stmokomoko posted should help you choose lower carb veggies.

Why high protein? Did doc really say low carb, low fat high protein??
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Reverse his protein and fat recommendation and you'll be good! :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight you need a calorie deficit. Most doctors don't know much about nutrition; but everybody has heard about "low carb", so unless s/he gave you both reasons and specifics for low carb, you need to either talk to him/her again and ask, or ignore it, or educate yourself independantly.

Very low, a little, and mostly is not a very instructional. In fact, it's vague enough to mean nothing. If you go low carb, you need to eat more fat. Too much protein will do you no good. Percent is not a good way to portion out your macros (too bad MFP does it this way); your protein and fat needs are almost constant, while carbs fill out your needs for fuel and thus depends on your weight/BMI.

1.2 - 1.4 grams of protein and fat per kilo of bodyweight at a healthy weight, is a good starting point. The rest of your calories can be carbs, fat or protein as you like. These aren't rules written in stone. You have to find out what works for you. Overall nutrition seems to be more important than macro split. Eat some food from every food group every day. There is no reason, unless your dr gave you a reason, to cut out rice, bread, potatoes, they all contribute with important nutrients, but they should be balanced out with other foods, and varied from day to day.
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am finding the Primal Bkueprint by Mark Sisson and his website Mark's Daily Apple very helpful! If you want to be friends we can support each other cuz I just started it.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Chicken and salmon have no carbs. Eggs have minimal carbs, maybe half a carb each. Veggies is probably where your problem is. All veggies are not created equal in terms of carbs. For example, 100g of zucchini has just under 3 carbs vs peas which are around 15 carbs for that same 100g. A baby carrot has about 1 carb in it.

Medium baked potato : 30+ carbs. Carbs in rice: 40+ per cup. Pasta: varies but 15+ for 2 ounces.

It all adds up and fast.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    50% carbs. Do you eat/drink dairy? What about fruit, and veggies such as corn ,peas, potato etc
  • briana12077
    briana12077 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You guys can look at my diary and see what I'm eating. As for why she told me to eat low carb it is because I am almost diabetic and she wants me to eat low sugar/carbs I think. I usually eat peppers, kale, cucumbers, lettuce, peas, broccoli, and those kinds of veggies. I am aware of the carbs in rice and potatoes but I usually only have a serving of something like that at dinner, once a day. I do eat peanut butter sometimes too and fruit. Either apple or banana.
  • aubdobalina
    aubdobalina Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I try to do 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat- it is hard but I am getting better at it. I generally hit my goals if I eat a protein shake for breakfast, and two portions of lean meats at lunch and dinner (2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or two pieces of broiled fish, etc). I like Jay Robb egg white protein powder. For snacks I love quest protein bars or Greek yogurt has a good amount of protein too. I also like to keep pre-packaged meaty hors d'oeuvres like meatballs or salmon skewers in the fridge so I just grab one protein-filled bite when I am feeling peckish.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You guys can look at my diary and see what I'm eating. As for why she told me to eat low carb it is because I am almost diabetic and she wants me to eat low sugar/carbs I think. I usually eat peppers, kale, cucumbers, lettuce, peas, broccoli, and those kinds of veggies. I am aware of the carbs in rice and potatoes but I usually only have a serving of something like that at dinner, once a day. I do eat peanut butter sometimes too and fruit. Either apple or banana.

Your diary is not open.
  • cutebunnylady
    cutebunnylady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It seems impssible to eat little fat and high protein. A lot of meat contains high fat and high protein. Being it is extremely insulinogenic and carcinogenic, I would probably ditch animal protein and look into high carb, low fat instead. If you're looking for nutrional science to back up this unpopular suggestion, there is tons of evidence proving the results for longevity and good health. Check it out.

Nutritionfacts.org
    Pcrm.org

Also watch Forks Over Knives on Netflix, if you have a subscription.

I noticed my health was poor, and I tried doing the high protein, low carb life, but reality hit when the doctor told me I was prediabetic. I thought, "How could this be? I'm eating perfect!?" I gained weight and started researching. I found that insulin, a hormone produced by the pancreas was unable to do its job die to the high fat, high protein diet I was consuming. I wasn't allowing insulin to do its job due to my Intracellular lipids (Fat cell) so, I was starving myself of carbs and eating too much animal fat. Because insulin wasn't able to do its job, too much glucose resulted in my blood. I was developing disease with this low carb diet. I was prediabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol... I was killing myself through diet. Forks Over Knives changed my life. I knew I didn't want to be on cholesterol medications at 20... I wanted to eat to live. I adopted a high carb, low fat lifestyle. In three weeks my blood pressure lowered, my cholesterol was perfect, and most importantly I fought disease. This science-based, evidence-based diet changed my life. I now eat no oil, and get plenty of fats from plants. I don't carb count and I also utilize Dr. Greger's daily dozen app! Although the goal was to combat chronic diseases, I lost weight in the making.

Try it out for two weeks, if you don't like it, then go back. I'll tell you this though, I garentee the way you feel, you won't ever want to go back. You will notice it's the animal products killing you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It seems impssible to eat little fat and high protein. A lot of meat contains high fat and high protein. Being it is extremely insulinogenic and carcinogenic, I would probably ditch animal protein and look into high carb, low fat instead. If you're looking for nutrional science to back up this unpopular suggestion, there is tons of evidence proving the results for longevity and good health. Check it out.

Nutritionfacts.org
    Pcrm.org

Also watch Forks Over Knives on Netflix, if you have a subscription.

I noticed my health was poor, and I tried doing the high protein, low carb life, but reality hit when the doctor told me I was prediabetic. I thought, "How could this be? I'm eating perfect!?" I gained weight and started researching. I found that insulin, a hormone produced by the pancreas was unable to do its job die to the high fat, high protein diet I was consuming. I wasn't allowing insulin to do its job due to my Intracellular lipids (Fat cell) so, I was starving myself of carbs and eating too much animal fat. Because insulin wasn't able to do its job, too much glucose resulted in my blood. I was developing disease with this low carb diet. I was prediabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol... I was killing myself through diet. Forks Over Knives changed my life. I knew I didn't want to be on cholesterol medications at 20... I wanted to eat to live. I adopted a high carb, low fat lifestyle. In three weeks my blood pressure lowered, my cholesterol was perfect, and most importantly I fought disease. This science-based, evidence-based diet changed my life. I now eat no oil, and get plenty of fats from plants. I don't carb count and I also utilize Dr. Greger's daily dozen app! Although the goal was to combat chronic diseases, I lost weight in the making.

Try it out for two weeks, if you don't like it, then go back. I'll tell you this though, I garentee the way you feel, you won't ever want to go back. You will notice it's the animal products killing you.

By all means, OP ignore your doctor and do this. lol

Better yet, discuss a "high carb" lifestyle with your doctor before ever considering following this advice.

signed: I eat a LOT of plants.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Again, did she TELL you to eat low fat??
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Whoa boy.
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I usually eat peppers, kale, cucumbers, lettuce, peas, broccoli, and those kinds of veggies. I am aware of the carbs in rice and potatoes but I usually only have a serving of something like that at dinner, once a day. I do eat peanut butter sometimes too and fruit. Either apple or banana.

Carbs :
    Peppers : 6g in 1 pepper
    Broccoli 6g in 1 cup
    Kale - 6g in 1 cup
    Peas - 21g in 1 cup
    Peanut Butter - 6g in 2 tbsp
    Apple - 25g
    Banana - 25g
    Medium baked potato : 30+
    Rice: 40+ per cup.
    Pasta: varies but 15+ for 2 ounces, roughly 1 cup cooked

Do you see how what you are choosing is contributing to your high carb count ? A cup of broccoli is great. But not if you pair it with rice and an apple.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

My guess is that low carb was recommended but it was just assumed that protein will fill in the calorie gap. Protein will raise your insulin too so adding excess protein to the diet of someone with insulin resistance may not be the best bet.

Most people who go low carb also eat high fat. Fat will not affect blood glucose at all, and has almost no effect on insulin. Contrary to previous thinking, fat is not bad for you. Eating more than half your calories from fat may make things easier for you. You might want to discuss that with your doctor.

I am a prediabetic who follows Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It is a low carb high fat plan for managing BG while minimizing insulin needs. It works very well! It includes meat, eggs, full fat dairy (cream, 14+% sour cream, butter, ghee, hard cheese), coconut and it's oil, olives and their oil, avocados, nuts, non-root veggies (leafy greens, peppers, celery, cucumbers, etc) and a few berries. I avoid sugars, foods with added sugar, baked goods, noodles, grains (rice, quinoa, corn, oats), and limit starchy root vegetables (potatoes, beets, carrots, onions, turnip) and high GI fruits like bananas and grapes. If I follow that plan my BG is normal.

Good luck.
  • briana12077
    Options
    stmokomoko wrote: »
    If my doctor told me to eat "very low carb, little fat and mostly protein", I'd take that to mean:

1) The main source of carbs would be vegetables - pick from the low carb list: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatveg.htm
    2) When cooking, I would go for mostly baked lean meat/fish, using dry rubs or low carb sauces - no oil, butter, oil based marinades

Good luck to you. I don't think I could do it.

However, I would ask him straight out to give you a breakdown of macros. What is the acceptable amount of carbs and fats a day, so you can see what you can squeeze in.

I will check out the link, thanks.

When cooking, I never use anything on my meat, I simply cook it and add salt and pepper or sometimes those cooking spices. I only cook chicken breast, salmon, and once in a while 90% lean ground beef.

I did ask for a breakdown of macros, and she actually used the myfitnesspal app on my phone to change the macros goals for me. She put it in as 35% carbs, 20% fats, and 45% protein. So I guess that isn't as low carb as I was remembering it to be, BUT i still am having a hard time staying in those goals. If you look at my macros I am usually way higher in carbs.
  • briana12077
    Options

Why high protein? Did doc really say low carb, low fat high protein??

Well, she said I could lose weight eating tons of protein. She basically just kept saying to eat eggs and chicken. I started eating an omelet with veggies every day for lunch. She said if I do eat carbs I should only eat them at dinner. I'm not sure if she is making any sense but that is what she said.
  • briana12077
    Options

Your diary is not open.

Its not? How do I open it? I will go check.
  • briana12077
    Options
    50% carbs. Do you eat/drink dairy? What about fruit, and veggies such as corn ,peas, potato etc

I stopped eating dairy almost completely except when I have the occasional cheese or something. I use almond milk in my shakeology (which has carbs too but I love it) and thats about all for dairy. I have potatoes maybe once every 2 weeks or so, and I have pasta maybe once a week. A small amount of rice with dinner most nights.