I have a question.

Options
I started my weight loss journey about 4 weeks ago, it's been rough and I haven't stuck to it like I should. I've lost 10lbs. I weight 230 now and I'd like to weigh 150-160. I'm a nurse and always on the go, I go to the gym minimum 3x a week, the classes I attend burn 700-1000 calories. Anyways my question is, do you feel guilty when you eat? Like at all? I almost want to starve myself sort of I guess....my trainer said to consume 1200 calories and my doctor says 1500. I hardly ever get past 1000 honestly. I'm either hot or cold. There is no in between for me...I either eat everything or nothing at all. I'm so tired of being this big and I can't stand to look in the mirror. Help me.

Replies

• Mrsacosta190
    Mrsacosta190 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    io6pjm24ngtw.jpeg

I'm on the far left, I'm 5'4.
  • joycefarmer68
    joycefarmer68 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb you need to keep your metabolism up...you need to eat! To burn the fat...I know it doesn't make since...once you start to not eat enough your metabolism goes into Starvation mode...and stops...you really need to eat...to lose...good luck. I'd stick with 1500 calories per day and see how that goes.
  • Mrsacosta190
    Mrsacosta190 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb you need to keep your metabolism up...you need to eat! To burn the fat...I know it doesn't make since...once you start to not eat enough your metabolism goes into Starvation mode...and stops...you really need to eat...to lose...good luck. I'd stick with 1500 calories per day and see how that goes.

Thank you!! I feel so guilty but I'll give it a try!! ☺️
  • nycolerayne
    nycolerayne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well don't starve yourself. That will not give you long term results. I'm not a trainer or Dr but Mfp does give you the option of picking your activity level. Being a nurse and exercising regularly would make you active which would put you over 1200 calories a day. I'm fairly new here and definitely no expert . Don't be so hard on yourself. The weight can and will come off. You can do this!
  • nycolerayne
    nycolerayne Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    And congratulations on losing 10 lbs! That's an accomplishment to be proud of! ☺
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Well don't starve yourself. That will not give you long term results. I'm not a trainer or Dr but Mfp does give you the option of picking your activity level. Being a nurse and exercising regularly would make you active which would put you over 1200 calories a day. I'm fairly new here and definitely no expert . Don't be so hard on yourself. The weight can and will come off. You can do this!

You are generally right. Though exercise outside of work should not be included in "activity level", rather added later which will allow you to eat even more calories for the day. But with OPs stats and activity, she will definitely lose on more than 1200 calories per day.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing 10 pounds! If you only started 4 weeks ago, that is great progress. That being said, you need to change your thought processes from "I can't stand to look in the mirror" to "I am going to do this, I CAN do this, and I am going to look and feel good." You are on the right track.
  • krystallittrell
    krystallittrell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My husband always reminds me I have to eat!! If you don't eat enough you for one deprive your body of the nutrients it needs and two you'll slow your metabolism down. The key is, make those 1200-1500 healthy!!! Load up on veggies and fruits!!! Incorporate them into your meals. I've swapped chips with my sandwiches with baby carrots!! The same crunch minus 100-200 calories. My weakness is pasta so now I try to stick with whole grain or organic pasta, light sauce and I incorporate frozen broccoli or sweet peas to give me my veggies and fill me up faster. You can't deprive yourself of food, good or bad. It's all about portions. I'm 230 now and my first weigh in is tomorrow. I've been strict this entire week but tonight I ate pizza with my kids so I considered it a reward for no sodas and exercising everyday. Tomorrow, I'll be back on my healthy eating. Not sure if any of this helped you but I feel you. I am 5'6" and according to MFP and my goal weight of 150, I need to consume 1510 calories. The average woman I believe needs 1500-2000 calories so I would eat a little more than 1000. You're metabolism will slow down if you deprive yourself