Binge eating. Why?

Options
Who can say how to stop binge eating? Has anyone struggled with this and overcame this horrible vicious thing?

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Most everyone here probably binged at some point or another. Some of us on a regular basis. I know I did. Often daily. That's how I got to 331 pounds. I'm pretty new to this. Been here about 1.5 months. Lost 21 pounds so far. It's a daily struggle to not let myself eat all the foods on some days. I just remind myself why I'm doing this. It usually keeps me on track.

I'm hoping it gets easier with time.
  • Graceraeg
    Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think it is something I started as a kid and it got worse as an adult.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out why it happens first, and then find something else that fills the same need to replace it with. I know that I binge (/purge) when I'm extremely anxious and trying to remove myself from the situation, for example. I've found that strong sensations are similarly helpful, so instead I can listen to intense music, or chew on a piece of raw ginger, or walk around outside in the freezing cold. That kind of thing.
    It can also partially be due to habit, which is equally difficult to deal with.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For me I make sure to eat filling meals on time with plenty of protein so I don't get too hungry. This is the most important thing I do. I also find exercise really helps and taking care of my spiritual and emotional health is important too. Finally I don't keep my binge foods around and I don't eat them .... Just stimulates me to want to eat more of them. It gets a lot easier after following this plan as per above for 30 days.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    For me, a binge has nothing to do with physical hunger. It is about numbing pain, anxiety, stress, depression. I have struggled with this off and on all of my life. Some periods of bingeing, some bingeing and purging. I am doing well right now, but I have to be vigilant. Add me if you care to, talking about it is important. No shame, no secrets.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I definitely started this as a child to deal with my emotions. You need to study yourself more to find out why it happens to you.

In my ~8 month MFP journey, I have only ended up in a binge about 3 times. And in my past life, I swear I was constantly in a binge and restrict cycle since childhood. So, I'd say a reasonable calorie goal (and not being too strict on yourself) can help a little bit. But you seriously need to deal with the psychological part of it.
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Graceraeg wrote: »
    Who can say how to stop binge eating? Has anyone struggled with this and overcame this horrible vicious thing?

How often do you find yourself binging?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    Merrysix wrote: »
    For me I make sure to eat filling meals on time with plenty of protein so I don't get too hungry. This is the most important thing I do. I also find exercise really helps and taking care of my spiritual and emotional health is important too. Finally I don't keep my binge foods around and I don't eat them .... Just stimulates me to want to eat more of them. It gets a lot easier after following this plan as per above for 30 days.

I employ all of these strategies as well. Protein (and fat and fiber) helps with the physical urge and exercise with the emotional urge.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I think if one of us had the answer to that question, we would be extraordinarily rich and you would have heard about it in the media!!

Binging is a really individualized issue - only you can identify the triggers and the way the binge plays out. Somehow, you have to find a way to short circuit that loop, either before it happens (by not keeping trigger food around, by having a Plan for situations that tend to trigger binging) or by stopping the binge once its underway (being able to recognize it for what it is and to find a distraction, or to set a limit)

I believe that anyone who has an inappropriate relationship with food (one that causes them stress or anxiety or eating disorders) has binged at some point(s) in their life, and as someone above mentioned, it really has nothing to do with the food, but with the psychological and emotional factors that trigger the binge. It is critical to understand and identify those factors in order to break the cycle. Good luck!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yup. I'm a terrible binge eater. Not so much anymore as I don't eat the things that trigger binging (which interestingly are also not all that satisfying anyway). For me that is sugary stuff (I can whip up a box of cake mix and eat it with a spoon), bread and non-legume based pastas. I've found that those things also do a number on me internally as well, so I think I'm better off without them anyway.

Figure out what's causing your binges (physically and mentally). The other contribution to binging, for me, was unhappiness. With my husband, my life, the way I looked in the mirror, my eating and feeling that I lacked control. Think about the taste and texture and whether the food is satisfying you and helping you reach your goals. Will you regret it? Will it cause a set back in your goal? What is making that particular food feel so compulsively irresistible? Those are all things to ask yourself and figure out.
  • Graceraeg
    Options
    I find myself doing this most days of the week lately. It like this cycle that repeats itself.
    mweckler wrote: »

• Graceraeg
    Options
    Everyone left really helpful and insightful comments. I notice that there I am really unhappy with the way things are in my life. Instead of confronting these things I bottle them up. I think that's where this imbalance is coming from. Its so hard to confront this because binging is embarrassing. I don't want to expose it to the light.
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You have to evaluate yourself and why you do it. I didn't get any control on the situation until I started recognizing the anxiety/emotion/stress that put me in the mindset to binge. Now, if I bring any sweets into the house, they are immediately portioned and put away. If I want a sweet, I log it. (Sweets were my binge choice.) I start listening to my heart and mind. If I am stressed, I try to find a different way of coping. Exercise is great for that. It may be a struggle to start, but you can do this. You can stop the cycle and begin a path to healing. :smile:
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I find myself doing this most days of the week lately. It like this cycle that repeats itself.
    mweckler wrote: »

I started a group for people suffering with Binge Eating Disorder. There is a link with a checklist you may be interested in checking it out, for nothing else it is a good support system with people who are all struggling with the same thing you are.
  • SpiderGwens
    SpiderGwens Posts: 87 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I've always been a binge eater. It started well before puberty - probably when I was around 10 or so.

It's definitely been a struggle to overcome, but I finally feel like I have it under control. The first thing you should try to do is figure out what causes your binges. For me, it was emotional. Whenever I felt sad or stressed, I would binge. Now, I try to do other activities whenever I notice those feelings manifesting. Some of the things I do are: drink a cup of tea (the hot liquid makes me feel full), coloring, take a hot bath (I buy Lush bath bombs instead of a box of cookies), go for a walk with some upbeat music, and paint my nails (I can't eat if I have wet nails)! Once you start to recognize your triggers, it becomes a lot easier to overcome. I'm still not perfect, but at least I feel like I have it under control now.

Another big thing: if you know a certain food is going to make you binge, don't buy it or buy a smaller package. For example, I love Peanut Butter M&M's and sometimes I would eat an entire large sized bag! Now if I have a craving, I'll buy the smallest package that just has one serving! It keeps me from eating more than I should.

Lastly: protein is your friend. If you feel full, you'll be less likely to binge in between meals. Sometimes I even forget to eat now. I never dreamed that would happen.

Good luck! You can beat it if you work at it. It will take some time, but it can be done. :)
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    This entire thread was very helpful for me. Thank you. I am going to seek help for my BED this Tuesday and will use these recommendations until then.