Baby weight...sad excuse??

Options
becksini
becksini Posts: 17 Member
I noticed that a lot of people on here blame some of their weight gain on baby weight and I think that isn't a good enough "excuse". Sorry if I offend anybody, but I've seen plenty of people lose all the weight within weeks/months after giving birth (my mom being one of them! she had two kids and lost it all both times). What do you guys think?

Replies

• emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    I think feeding trolls is a bad idea regardless of their size or the number of children they have had.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I think feeding trolls is a bad idea regardless of their size or the number of children they have had.

LoL. My thoughts exactly. I did get a little tiny laugh at it tho.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. Some people were active before having a baby, and it's easier for those people to lose the weight after giving birth, if for no other reason than the fact that aren't starting from square one. But if you're still claiming it's "baby weight" 18 months after giving birth, then you're full of it. My sister-in-law (and I love her to death) claims her extra weight is baby weight, but her son was born nearly 2 years ago. Her extra weight comes from poor diet and lack of exercise. It's pretty obvious when you look at my brother, who has gained a good 50 lbs over the same time period.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Gained 65lb with pregnancy and dropped 80lb with in a year and a half later.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Word.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I think baby weight is a different monster than regular weight you put on from overeating or whatever, and its therefore much harder to lose.. while everyone is different, and some can lose it faster than others, I def have an annoying and ugly stomach pouch that even when I lost a lot of weight and was doing crunches (classes, on my own, with weights, etc.), it would not go away.... Cannot compare the two and cannot compare different people. Just my $0.02
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    I am a mum of three - my youngest being twins, and I actually do think it IS very hard to shift the baby weight (though I don't think I can claim mine is still baby weight after eight years lol!). For many people it's the first time in their lives that they have been overweight - pregnancy is a huge change to your body in a short space of time and often causes quite a weight gain - for people who have never had that before that can be quite a shock! Add to that all of your attention is now focused on a new little being - often to the detriment of your own wellbeing, oh that and you can't just 'nip out' and exercise any more like you used to. It actually took YEARS after having the twins for me to be in a position where I could easily incorporate regular exercise back into my life! I used to try, but it was very, very hard.

One way that certainly helped me get some baby weight off initially was breast feeding - my babes just sucked my extra weight away! Sadly I ate it back on again afterwards but that's another story!

So yes, it is a reason to be hanging on to extra weight, and it can be an extra hard time in a new mum's life to try to find the time to exercise and watch what you eat! I totally sympathise!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a sad excuse.. it's just reality. For me, having a baby FLIPPED MY WORLD UPSIDE DOWN! You just have no idea what kind of toll it takes on your body, your hormones, your time, your energy; especially for moms that have to work full time. For me, I put every little bit time/energy that I had into caring for my son. I ate healthy foods to make sure that I was providing him the best breast milk that I could, and when he started eating solids, I made most of his baby food myself. On top of caring for a baby pumping breast milk and getting no sleep, I still had to take care of my husband and our household, etc. Sleep deprivation is a horrible thing! I just didn't make it a priority to take care of myself. I made it a priority to take care of everyone else. You just don't know what everyone's situation is until you've walked a mile or spent a sleepless night in their shoes. Yes, it CAN be done...but, everybody is different and hormones and life effect everyone differently.
  • ajl2
    ajl2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly.

This person has obviously not been pregnant before. Otherwise she would know that every person is different. Some are lucky enough to be able to drop the pregnancy weight quicker than others. As for me, I have PCOS and I have to literally work my butt off to lose weight.
  • Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i dont agree with this because after my first daughter i lost it all and THEN some within 3 mths after having my first but with my second god if only it were that easy. i am at my goal weight but the toning is coming quite slowly for me and am no where near where i want to be. I think everyone is different and its gonna take each persons body its own time to get to where they want it. it is hard. if i had just had my first and you asked is it hard... i would've said no it was easy just by walking every day.. now im busting my rump, at 104 lbs and the toning just isnt coming very easily.
  • ajl2
    ajl2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a mum of three - my youngest being twins, and I actually do think it IS very hard to shift the baby weight (though I don't think I can claim mine is still baby weight after eight years lol!). For many people it's the first time in their lives that they have been overweight - pregnancy is a huge change to your body in a short space of time and often causes quite a weight gain - for people who have never had that before that can be quite a shock! Add to that all of your attention is now focused on a new little being - often to the detriment of your own wellbeing, oh that and you can't just 'nip out' and exercise any more like you used to. It actually took YEARS after having the twins for me to be in a position where I could easily incorporate regular exercise back into my life! I used to try, but it was very, very hard.

One way that certainly helped me get some baby weight off initially was breast feeding - my babes just sucked my extra weight away! Sadly I ate it back on again afterwards but that's another story!

So yes, it is a reason to be hanging on to extra weight, and it can be an extra hard time in a new mum's life to try to find the time to exercise and watch what you eat! I totally sympathise!

My last two pregnancies were twin ones. My older set is 5 and my younger set are almost 3. I know what you mean. I've got 5 kids total and when my second set of twins were born, my oldest child was 5. My kids became my life and everything I do revolves around them. Your own well-being takes the back burner especially as a mother of twins.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    yes baby-weight excuses are hard to deal with. I am guilty for using it 6 months after I gave birth to my daughter. BUT it is different for everyone. For example, my diet strategies before getting pregnant did not work for me after I gave birth. I had to find different ways of eating and exercise way more than I used to in order to lose it. It's now a year later and I just lost it all. I admit that I did not always eat the best or workout as much as I should have in order to lose it. But since I never had to before and I would be at a great weight it's a hard concept to grasp when things aren't working. I know lots of people, including my best friend, that have been able to lose the weight right away. But also those like me that take relearning to lose it all. Plain and simple some people have to work much harder than others to lose it. Here are some other factors that have proven weightloss to be hard for new mothers:

1.) high levels of stress that was not there before- stress has been linked to weight gain
    2.) lack of sleep- studies show when people get a full nights sleep it's easier for them to lose weight
    3.) not eating- yes not eating because they are so busy with their new baby or too tired to make good eating choices do lead to weight gain.

I am by no means making excuses for people because I cannot say whether or not they are really trying to lose weight since I do not live their life. Just trying to put my perspective on the subject.

now if you can see that some people are obviously not eating good or exercising and they are saying that then yeah I would get really annoyed too!
  • Rainbow_Brite86
    Options

My thoughts exactly.

This person has obviously not been pregnant before. Otherwise she would know that every person is different. Some are lucky enough to be able to drop the pregnancy weight quicker than others. As for me, I have PCOS and I have to literally work my butt off to lose weight.

AGREED! And I have PCOS too...and it is a ...%$%^%&%^