Weight loss has stopped, HELLLLP ME please.

Options
My weight loss journey has stopped, do I need to change my exercise routine. how many calories should I be eating?. I've dropped like 30 pounds by eating 1450 calories a day and lifting weights along with a little running. What to do..I need help.

Replies

• codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    If you've hit a weight loss plateau, you need to drop calories further. Also, weight loss is not linear.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since the scales moved?
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    dbabyy33 wrote: »
    My weight loss journey has stopped, do I need to change my exercise routine. how many calories should I be eating?. I've dropped like 30 pounds by eating 1450 calories a day and lifting weights along with a little running. What to do..I need help.

MFP will calculate how much you should be eating for you...however I totally disagree that you may "just need to cut more." That may be the case, but it may not.

When I've hit a plateau (pretty common) I've found going back to maintenance for a week or two, then starting to cut again helps it right along. Try it out. I lost 125 lbs.
  • rikuf
    rikuf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well, as many have pointed out, weight loss is not linear. I have stared at 80 kg for two weeks and then barely saw readings with 79 before hitting my goal of 78 (BMI 25). (I have a great deal of experience, since I could say. like smokers trying to and failing to quit, 'losing weight is easy, I've done it hundreds of times'. In other words, I know all the plateaus and kerchunks and kerplunks of my weight curve from 85ish down; was 97 'in my day'.)

But let us be thankful the body doesn't work quite as algebraically/mechanically as MFP and other calories in/calories-out regimens suggest. The body takes in calories, stores them in nooks, crannies, bellies, butts, etc. and expends them where, when (and if) it da*n well feels like it. As we know, when you burn fat, it is first replaced by water, which is heavier, and this then miraculously goes its merry way and your weight drops. (Sadly, this rarely coincides with your Monday morning weigh-in).

But MFP seems to be working, directly (algebra) or indirectly (obsessing about intake and exercise). I would go along with the idea of only treating yourself to/giving yourself credit for half of the calories earned exercising. First, exercise builds up muscles, which is good, but they obviously have to weigh something. (Strict dieting destroys them, leading to rather dubious weight loss). What is more, the calorie counts on gym equipment tend to be rigged to make you feel good - nice to burn and earn that beer you pick up on the way home from the gym with 18:30 min on the stationary bike. The bottom line is that everyone in the business has a different, understandably generous formula. I have no fewer than 5 estimates (online calculators, Garmin and Suunto sports watches, MFP), for the number of calories expended on a slow (7.5 min/km) 5K run. These range from 300 to 500.

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    But let us be thankful the body doesn't work quite as algebraically/mechanically as MFP and other calories in/calories-out regimens suggest. The body takes in calories, stores them in nooks, crannies, bellies, butts, etc. and expends them where, when (and if) it da*n well feels like it.

Amen. :D

So annoying when the scale owes you.