can i use protein powder while i am in progress reducing fat percentage

Options
i weight 92 kg /202 lbs i am 185 cm/6.06 foot height i've already lost alot of weight about 13 kg /28 lbs and i wish to lose more but my question is can i use protein powder while i am doing
one more thing could you guys explain to me calorie deficit and what is best meal plan for it explaining to me what to eat specifically
thank you

Replies

• Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my breakfast and after I work out everyday. I've lost over 40lbs and I still have about the same to loose.
  • Vortex88
    Vortex88 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can use it. Don't go overboard - try to get most of your protein from meat etc but a good protein powder can be an excellent, convenient source of protein as part of a weight-loss diet.

A calorie deficit just means that you are consuming less food/energy/calories that your body is using/burning.

Simple way to figure it out: weigh yourself, track your food intake on myfitnesspal for 7 days and then weigh yourself again. If the scale weight went down, you are in a calorie deficit. If not, adjust calories slowly and gradually downwards over weeks and months and repeat the tracking and weighing process until you reach your target weight. At 92kg and 6 feet you can probably lose 2-3 lbs a week safely but don't try for more. Good luck.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Hakuchou6 wrote: »
    but my question is can i use protein powder while i am doing

Yes.
    one more thing could you guys explain to me calorie deficit

Calorie deficit = eating fewer calories than your body uses on a day to day basis. MFP will do the math for you. Plug in your weight information. Tell it you want to lose either .5 lbs or 1 lb a week. It will tell you how much to eat in order to lose. Log all the food you eat. Buy a food scale. All liquids need to get measured in cups, ALL solids need to get weighed on the food scale (including butter, peanut butter, rice, cereal).
    what is best meal plan for it explaining to me what to eat specifically

There is no best meal plan. Eat whatever you want to eat. Some of us eat out still and have cheeseburgers, burritos, pizza, etc just less than we used to eat. Other people eat what they consider 'clean' and eat things like lean chicken breast and lots of vegetables. Eat what you want to eat, you will lose weight either way if your calories the appropriate number.
  • ffwife921
    ffwife921 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! I've lost 20lbs over 6 weeks by adding protein powder into my diet. I eat every 3 hours. 2 of my meals are protien powder. I make sure my protien powder isn't high in carbs and sugars. Best of luck to you!
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I only had a few pounds left to lose (usually the hardest right when you're by the finish line) & had a protein shake everyday. And still lost weight.
    If you want to actually "tone" I'd recommend using the iifym.com calculator for your TDEE with macro break-downs. My husband is about the same height as you and 200 pounds is his goal weight (he had to gain to get there) - so I'd think probably a good weight for a 6' tall male, as long it's muscle and not fat. Using the TDEE & macros while working out, you can stay the same weight & transition fat to muscle (and lose inches).
    I did this same method (but for 15 pounds weight loss to goal), and the biggest thing I noticed is that most people don't eat enough protein (in my opinion). I found that if you try to stay within the macros, you're basically forced to eliminate "bad" foods (or at least minimize them to at most once per day). Most bad foods are carbs (sugar) & eating one a day will almost hit your carb (or fat) macro goal by eating say 1 donut, and then if you want to stick to your daily goals, you're basically starving the rest of the day. Versus eating well & seriously being able to eat more you can probably even eat in a day of veggies, fruits, and protein. But donuts are still tasty once in awhile ;)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Vortex88 wrote: »
    Absolutely you can use it. Don't go overboard - try to get most of your protein from meat etc but a good protein powder can be an excellent, convenient source of protein as part of a weight-loss diet.

A calorie deficit just means that you are consuming less food/energy/calories that your body is using/burning.

Simple way to figure it out: weigh yourself, track your food intake on myfitnesspal for 7 days and then weigh yourself again. If the scale weight went down, you are in a calorie deficit. If not, adjust calories slowly and gradually downwards over weeks and months and repeat the tracking and weighing process until you reach your target weight. At 92kg and 6 feet you can probably lose 2-3 lbs a week safely but don't try for more. Good luck.

Sometimes a week is not log enough to see the scale move in a deficit. Give it 3 weeks.

Op...put your info into mfp. Set it to lose 1-2lbs a week and select sedentary. Eat what it tells you Add in any exerercise you may do and eat 50-75% of those calories back too.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you like...as long as you accurately log it and maintain a deficit.
  • bruhaha007
    bruhaha007 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I do
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    all protein powder is, is powdered protein. The reason to incorporate it would be that you don't get enough protein from your diet alone. If you are getting enough through food, no reason to add it to your diet.

As for plan, the one you can stick to, which I find is eating like you always do, just a little less of everything (except protein)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I have used 1 serving of protein powder in a mixture with 8 oz 2% milk for several days now to increase my daily intake of protein, which had been worrying me. The combination of the powder and the milk is over 300 calories, so just calculate that into your plans. Have meat and legumes, or get your protein in a vegan manner if you prefer. It's very easy to survive on 1200-1400 calories a day and maintain your sodium below 1500 mg and you will lose weight, no matter what your initial condition. (Unless you are initially the world's shortest person)
  • hansklamp2112
    hansklamp2112 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can.

Protein powder is simply what it is... protein. If you get 46 grams of protein from 240 cals of protein powder, its the same as if you got x grams of protein from x cals of x food.

I will say this--If your main goal is losing weight in forms outside of lifting weights/physical exercise, I wouldn't be utilizing protein powder for the sake of cost unless that doesn't bother you. The calories from protein powder aren't any different than the calories from half a cheeseburger except the protein/carbs/fats are different of course. Yes, protein powder is a great way to get high protein at moderate to low calories, but it often doesn't leave many feeling satiated. It's more of a "I'm doing this to really stock up on protein to build muscle for this workout I am doing." It's not to say you can't use it, but if you're just losing weight purely by dieting/walking/casual jogging, protein powder could be using calories that would be better gotten from foods to help control hunger urges, get different nutrients, etc.

Regarding losing weight: There isn't a best meal plan because we're all different. If you lack self control, then picking certain foods that generally are healthier is a good choice for you in order to maintain a deficit. If you have a lot of self control, you could technically eat what you want as long as you eat less calories than your body burns each day. For example, I bet there are currently 3 days a week that I go into a McDonald's or Wendy's right now (I have no idea why, it just has been a thing for me lately) and I get something off of a dollar menu. Typically about 300-400 cals. I can do this because it fits the rest of my day, when generally I am eating things like hardboiled eggs, granola, yogurt, lean meats, etc. I make sure that my calories stay where I need them to be for me to lose fat and maintain my muscle mass. It takes a lot of time and practice. I'm still not perfect at it and recently I just started getting better at it after a few years of consistent exercise and diet.

As for how much/what to eat: your weight, height, age, lifestyle (job/daily movement), and working out all effects this. I suggest googling "Tdee calculator" and using one of the ones up. I like the Fitness Frog one, but any true calculator uses the same formulas.

Calories are calories (truly by their name of kcal, so if you see kcal don't get confused). Don't let anyone else try to fool you. Calories in < Calories out = losing weight/fat burned. At too quickly of a rate this might even effect some muscle mass, but that's okay depending on your goals for now. Try not to under eat though. I did that once and got pretty weak, but I tried a new method where I didn't cut as hard and it worked out really well for me.

Now, a calorie is a calorie, but what comes with it is what is going to be the x factor. Eat a cookie for 240 calories.. you're gonna get simple carbs and no protein. Take that 240 calories and eat some protein powder or piece of chicken you might get 30-40 grams of protein depending on which you choose.

This all can be very intimidating and that is why it's important for new dieters to take it one step at a time. If your main overall goal is simply less weight and less body fat, focus on your calories only at first. Keep it simple. Otherwise it might push you away. This doesn't mean eat 2000 kcals a day of cookies, but it means just make your main goal eat less or equal calories than the goal you have that puts you in a deficit.

If your main goal is weight loss and you're weight lifting, try to add the condition of getting protein in your foods to help you build. Certain fats in things like nuts are also important.

This is all going to take time to learn, but eventually you'll be a self-taught guru. Trial and error is where its at.

One more small tip: The scale isn't always the solution. Weight yourself each time everyday, but understand that carbohydrates and water weight can throw off your true weight. It takes 3500 kcals surplus to add 1lb of fat to you. So if you see your weight go up 4lbs overnight, it's not true at all. You didn't go eat 14000 cals over your burn .. I hope! The scale is a great tool, but the mirror is better.