When you fall off the wagon...

Options
Helendv8
Helendv8 Posts: 21 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you log? Have had a few VERY dodgy weeks culminating in a proper binge day yesterday with all my old favourite 'bad' foods.

Just logged it all and it felt more like an exercise in self-harm than anything - but I suppose it was useful to see all those cals adding up and give myself a reality check!

So, do you log when you have a bad day like that?

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Always! So I know where I stand. I don't let it affect me mentally though. If it was good food than it was worth it.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Yes, because seeing it all input helps you realize just how unhealthy some habits are... but don't take it too seriously, everybody slips. Just count it as a learning experience and move on.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I log it. Bad day, good day. It doesn't matter.

Your bad days will teach you a lot about your habits you need to correct. I know my certainly did. I LOVE taco bell, but after eating there a couple times and logging my favorite meal (Cheesy Gordita Crunch (cool ranch locos shell), with a cool ranch locos hard taco, a soft taco and a large sweet tea) I realized I was wasting SO MANY calories, and it wasn't even keeping me full until the next meal. (this is generally a lunch trip). I have pretty much given up taco bell now as a result, I'll splurge once in a while though, especially if I know I'm going to have a busy, active day (like yesterday, taking my entire front end of my car apart to get ready to put in this motor! or Junk yarding with dad for parts for whatever he's working on at the time, that'll really get ya moving haha)

and your good days will keep you moving forward.

Although you only learn from it if you want to. And this site/app only works if you're honest with yourself and accurate about what you're eating/logging. I have started weighing everything for the last two weeks and I'm doing really freaking well, I had a small gain (1.7 lbs) because I at some carbs and was all bloaty and yucky but I've been steadily going down since I started, whereas before I was weighing my food I'd lose weight then gain it then lose it then gain it, Stuck in the same 5-10lb loops always.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    So far, I always have. Pushes me to work off that surplus! I'm going on a week's vacation soon and am considering not logging. Don't plan to stick within calories for that week although I also don't want to overeat too much. I guess I'll play it by ear. Might be nice to know either way.
  • Jeniccm
    Jeniccm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I log it. And the fact that I know I have to log everything helps me think twice about what I'm eating. I just had one of those fall off the wagon weekends and it's good to look back and think - did I really need all of that? Time to get back to it!
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I always intend to log those days, but somewhere along the way I lose track.

This past Saturday at a party, I kept count of the beers and the stuffed mushroom appetizers, but began to lose track of the cheese and crackers. I may have been able to recall dinner and dessert, but by the time we were outside by the fire pit with a bottle of Jack Daniels, all was lost.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything everyday to the best of my ability. I did not log everything on Thanksgiving because I forgot to do it that night and then I couldn't remember what all I ate. I usually either log ahead or at the time I eat, but I didn't want to make a big deal at the holiday about what I was eating so I didn't log when I was at my mom's. I wasn't worried about going over that day, but I did try to eat modest portions of the things I had. Most days I do a pretty good job of staying around my goal. A couple of weeks ago I went to visit my son at college and ended up eating out and went over my calories, but I just logged to the best of my ability and tried to do better the next day.
  • Helendv8
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I always intend to log those days, but somewhere along the way I lose track.

This past Saturday at a party, I kept count of the beers and the stuffed mushroom appetizers, but began to lose track of the cheese and crackers. I may have been able to recall dinner and dessert, but by the time we were outside by the fire pit with a bottle of Jack Daniels, all was lost.

This sounds like a gooooood day ;)

I got out of the habit of logging while I was on honeymoon, and have struggled to be consistent with it since I got back. But you're right - it only works if you're honest with yourself!

Thanks guys :)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I dont see it as falling of the wagon...never have
    I just ate one day more than normal because i wanted too, couldn't resist, needed it or whatever reason.
    The next day back to normal....

yes normal, after all its not a diet you are on, you just have cut back some calories to lose weight. When done it is upping your portions....so normal eating.

95069916.png
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I only recently started logging my "off the wagon" days. Even if that means I quick add 1000 calories and make a note of what happened that day. You just have to remember you get a fresh new batch of calories the next day to start over with. Good luck!!
  • dragerk
    dragerk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Hahaha - I see what you did there.
  • hpatti23
    hpatti23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I "fall off the wagon" every Friday night to Saturday night. On Fridays, I'm at my thinnest, having eaten well and worked out all week long, then everything goes sideways on the weekend, and by Monday I'm a slug and have to start all over again. I used to get really frustrated, but its a choice, either I want to be an isolated hermit freak on the weekends and be skinny, or join in the rest of the group and cut loose some and risk the consequences.
  • MissConsistency
    MissConsistency Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • Helendv8
    Options
    I only recently started logging my "off the wagon" days. Even if that means I quick add 1000 calories and make a note of what happened that day. You just have to remember you get a fresh new batch of calories the next day to start over with. Good luck!!

Love this way of looking at it. All those lovely calories I get to spend the next day B)
  • bigorange70
    bigorange70 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yes you always log. It helps so you know where you went wrong. I had a bad week last week and I knew I was eating incorrectly but couldn't help myself. I walked and walked and walked during the week knowing it was not going well and I lost 2 lbs when I weighed this morning. Today my 4 year old wants to go to Waffle House to eat tonight so guess what? Letting the walking begin. HA HA Didn't mean to ramble but it is important to log so you know what you need to do to get back on track. Anyone feel free to add me and you can see my bad meals. HA HA
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I keep a monthly budget instead of daily, so it's very important for me to log every single day, including high calorie ones. There is no wagon for me. High calorie days are part of my overall diet, just like they are part of any normal weight person's diet. People who are "naturally thin" regulate their calories this way, by having some higher and some lower days without consciously planning it. It all evens out.
  • emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I log all the calories , even with quick add if mfp doesn't have it or I'm being lazy as I like to work with a weekly budget of calories.
    Before when I was on mfp I wouldn't and that's when I fell off the wagon and lack of logging made me slack in my eating habits , then before I knew it was logging on again with the same weight gain I had previously lost

Not this time

Some days I'm not as hungry and I can bank cals for eating out , takeaways drinks etc
    The way I see it good for 80% not so good 20% as I am going to be doing this always and binges happen , not the end of the world
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    No, because when I "fall off the wagon" so to speak (which for me is not going a little over or having a treat, but a full-out binge) I do so in such spectacular fashion there's no way I could log with any reasonable degree of accuracy. I find it better to just go to bed, get up the next morning and treat it as the blip it is.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Everything gets logged. There's no wagon, this is just life, and if I can't be honest with myself then I'm in big trouble.