How to eat low carb/ high protein!

Options
2»

Replies

• briana12077
    briana12077 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You guys can look at my diary and see what I'm eating. As for why she told me to eat low carb it is because I am almost diabetic and she wants me to eat low sugar/carbs I think. I usually eat peppers, kale, cucumbers, lettuce, peas, broccoli, and those kinds of veggies. I am aware of the carbs in rice and potatoes but I usually only have a serving of something like that at dinner, once a day. I do eat peanut butter sometimes too and fruit. Either apple or banana.

My guess is that low carb was recommended but it was just assumed that protein will fill in the calorie gap. Protein will raise your insulin too so adding excess protein to the diet of someone with insulin resistance may not be the best bet.

Most people who go low carb also eat high fat. Fat will not affect blood glucose at all, and has almost no effect on insulin. Contrary to previous thinking, fat is not bad for you. Eating more than half your calories from fat may make things easier for you. You might want to discuss that with your doctor.

I am a prediabetic who follows Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It is a low carb high fat plan for managing BG while minimizing insulin needs. It works very well! It includes meat, eggs, full fat dairy (cream, 14+% sour cream, butter, ghee, hard cheese), coconut and it's oil, olives and their oil, avocados, nuts, non-root veggies (leafy greens, peppers, celery, cucumbers, etc) and a few berries. I avoid sugars, foods with added sugar, baked goods, noodles, grains (rice, quinoa, corn, oats), and limit starchy root vegetables (potatoes, beets, carrots, onions, turnip) and high GI fruits like bananas and grapes. If I follow that plan my BG is normal.

Good luck.

Interesting, I will have to give that a look. I hear so many mixed messages about food intake and its so hard to keep up. You'd think my doctor would be right but who knows.
  • briana12077
    Options
    I usually eat peppers, kale, cucumbers, lettuce, peas, broccoli, and those kinds of veggies. I am aware of the carbs in rice and potatoes but I usually only have a serving of something like that at dinner, once a day. I do eat peanut butter sometimes too and fruit. Either apple or banana.

Carbs :
    Peppers : 6g in 1 pepper
    Broccoli 6g in 1 cup
    Kale - 6g in 1 cup
    Peas - 21g in 1 cup
    Peanut Butter - 6g in 2 tbsp
    Apple - 25g
    Banana - 25g
    Medium baked potato : 30+
    Rice: 40+ per cup.
    Pasta: varies but 15+ for 2 ounces, roughly 1 cup cooked

Do you see how what you are choosing is contributing to your high carb count ? A cup of broccoli is great. But not if you pair it with rice and an apple.

Okay, well I might eat a little rice, an apple, and broccoli in one day, but not all in the same meal. I'm assuming this is not too good. Its hard to find good options for a full day of food that ends up with less carbs. Any tips?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    You guys can look at my diary and see what I'm eating. As for why she told me to eat low carb it is because I am almost diabetic and she wants me to eat low sugar/carbs I think. I usually eat peppers, kale, cucumbers, lettuce, peas, broccoli, and those kinds of veggies. I am aware of the carbs in rice and potatoes but I usually only have a serving of something like that at dinner, once a day. I do eat peanut butter sometimes too and fruit. Either apple or banana.

My guess is that low carb was recommended but it was just assumed that protein will fill in the calorie gap. Protein will raise your insulin too so adding excess protein to the diet of someone with insulin resistance may not be the best bet.

Most people who go low carb also eat high fat. Fat will not affect blood glucose at all, and has almost no effect on insulin. Contrary to previous thinking, fat is not bad for you. Eating more than half your calories from fat may make things easier for you. You might want to discuss that with your doctor.

I am a prediabetic who follows Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It is a low carb high fat plan for managing BG while minimizing insulin needs. It works very well! It includes meat, eggs, full fat dairy (cream, 14+% sour cream, butter, ghee, hard cheese), coconut and it's oil, olives and their oil, avocados, nuts, non-root veggies (leafy greens, peppers, celery, cucumbers, etc) and a few berries. I avoid sugars, foods with added sugar, baked goods, noodles, grains (rice, quinoa, corn, oats), and limit starchy root vegetables (potatoes, beets, carrots, onions, turnip) and high GI fruits like bananas and grapes. If I follow that plan my BG is normal.

Good luck.

Interesting, I will have to give that a look. I hear so many mixed messages about food intake and its so hard to keep up. You'd think my doctor would be right but who knows.

Doctors' nutritional advice can be all over the map. I was told to eat more fruits and veggies. For me, that was a fail. It did not address carbs at all.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I did ask for a breakdown of macros, and she actually used the myfitnesspal app on my phone to change the macros goals for me. She put it in as 35% carbs, 20% fats, and 45% protein. So I guess that isn't as low carb as I was remembering it to be, BUT i still am having a hard time staying in those goals. If you look at my macros I am usually way higher in carbs.

I have no knowledge about diabetic-friendly diets, but that is not low carb, and not human-friendly either. It must be extremely difficult to compose a diet to fit those goals! I would suggest 30% carbs, 20% protein, and 50% fats instead. Or get the doctor to come up with an eating plan. Or better still, get a referral to a dietitian. This is nothing we should mess around with, really.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested I eat very low carb, a little fat, and mostly protein in order to lose weight. While this seemed easy at first, it is seemingly very hard. I thought, well I won't use bread anymore, I'll eat very little pasta, rice, and potatoes and other carbs and eat them as sides and not the full meal, and eat mostly protein all day till dinner. Then as I come to notice that carbs are in everything! No matter how well I think I'm eating, my little pie chart is always showing that I ate almost 50% carbs for my day. Any tips to switch this up a bit? I eat a lot of chicken and salmon, and I eat a lot of eggs and veggies, so I thought I was doing good.
    This is not adding up? How can you come to 50% carbs if you are eating this? Unless you are not just eating this...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I usually eat peppers, kale, cucumbers, lettuce, peas, broccoli, and those kinds of veggies. I am aware of the carbs in rice and potatoes but I usually only have a serving of something like that at dinner, once a day. I do eat peanut butter sometimes too and fruit. Either apple or banana.

Carbs :
    Peppers : 6g in 1 pepper
    Broccoli 6g in 1 cup
    Kale - 6g in 1 cup
    Peas - 21g in 1 cup
    Peanut Butter - 6g in 2 tbsp
    Apple - 25g
    Banana - 25g
    Medium baked potato : 30+
    Rice: 40+ per cup.
    Pasta: varies but 15+ for 2 ounces, roughly 1 cup cooked

Do you see how what you are choosing is contributing to your high carb count ? A cup of broccoli is great. But not if you pair it with rice and an apple.

Okay, well I might eat a little rice, an apple, and broccoli in one day, but not all in the same meal. I'm assuming this is not too good. Its hard to find good options for a full day of food that ends up with less carbs. Any tips?

If you open your diary we can help. The foods you mention wouldn't seem to bring you over carbs. I don't try to cut carbs at all but frequently end up around 40%. I'd also certainly NOT cut non starchy vegetables like broccoli.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I did ask for a breakdown of macros, and she actually used the myfitnesspal app on my phone to change the macros goals for me. She put it in as 35% carbs, 20% fats, and 45% protein. So I guess that isn't as low carb as I was remembering it to be, BUT i still am having a hard time staying in those goals. If you look at my macros I am usually way higher in carbs.

I have no knowledge about diabetic-friendly diets, but that is not low carb, and not human-friendly either. It must be extremely difficult to compose a diet to fit those goals! I would suggest 30% carbs, 20% protein, and 50% fats instead. Or get the doctor to come up with an eating plan. Or better still, get a referral to a dietitian. This is nothing we should mess around with, really.

Referral to a dietitian would be a good idea.

I think doctors may recommend higher protein to patients they want to lose weight because it promotes satiety and is harder to overeat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Your diary is not open.

Its not? How do I open it? I will go check.

Go to My Home > Settings > Diary Settings > scroll down to the bottom and the option to make it public is there.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    My daughter is a diabetic and the best results she ever got was when she followed a more paleo diet.
  • organic_homestead
    organic_homestead Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Google Atkins induction. This is 2 weeks following a strict low carb diet. Absolutely no fruit, no bread, no pasta, no grains for 2 weeks. Then there is the second phase where you add in a few more carbs such as berries. But still no apples & definitely no bananas, grains, starchy veggies.

A website I really love is I Breathe I'm Hungry. Tons of low carb recipes. From there you can find other sites. I started my low carb education on Pinterest. Found some great sites, blogs. I'm not low carb right now as I'm training for a half marathon.

Like someone else said, a doctor doesn't necessarily know nutrition like a registered dietitian. And I've never seen a low carb, low fat diet. Too much protein can also impede weight loss. Read about ketogenics if you want to learn about insulin, glucose & your digestion.

Good luck!
  • briana12077
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting about eating more fat. Never thought of that. I probably eat lowest fat everyday.
    I opened my diary. For the people saying it doesn't add up, I am not saying that is all I eat, I also eat fruit, rice, pasta, and peanut butter, but I try to keep my portions low and only once a day. I am asking for tips of like what else to eat instead. I didn't realize one or two servings of high-carb foods would have me at 50% carbs when I eat all the other proteins I mentioned in my OP.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options

Google Atkins induction. This is 2 weeks following a strict low carb diet. Absolutely no fruit, no bread, no pasta, no grains for 2 weeks. Then there is the second phase where you add in a few more carbs such as berries. But still no apples & definitely no bananas, grains, starchy veggies.

A website I really love is I Breathe I'm Hungry. Tons of low carb recipes. From there you can find other sites. I started my low carb education on Pinterest. Found some great sites, blogs. I'm not low carb right now as I'm training for a half marathon.

Like someone else said, a doctor doesn't necessarily know nutrition like a registered dietitian. And I've never seen a low carb, low fat diet. Too much protein can also impede weight loss. Read about ketogenics if you want to learn about insulin, glucose & your digestion.

Good luck!
    This!! Other good sites are: diet doctor, peace love & low carb, ruled.me and genaw.com
    There's also a low carb site on mfp where most of the low carbers hang out. Search for the low carb daily group and you should find it.
  • organic_homestead
    organic_homestead Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting about eating more fat. Never thought of that. I probably eat lowest fat everyday.
    I opened my diary. For the people saying it doesn't add up, I am not saying that is all I eat, I also eat fruit, rice, pasta, and peanut butter, but I try to keep my portions low and only once a day. I am asking for tips of like what else to eat instead. I didn't realize one or two servings of high-carb foods would have me at 50% carbs when I eat all the other proteins I mentioned in my OP.

I looked at your diary and here are some suggestions : no more crackers, instead snack on red bell peppers, a handful of raw unsalted almonds, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup sliced strawberries or blueberries. No more bananas, peas, carrots, rice, potatoes. Instead eat cauliflower, broccoli, red/green/yellow peppers, spinach, baby romaine, mushrooms, celery, avocado, asparagus, zucchini.
    Look up cauliflower recipes to replace your rice & potatoes.
    One other thought, count your net carbs not total. Carbs minus fiber. MFP counts your total carbs, you have to look at your daily nutritionals to do the equation.
    I hope what we've given you helps get you on the right path.