Working out and still not losing weight!

Options
AneNicole1978
AneNicole1978 Posts: 4 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am getting discouraged. I've been working out since November and I have not been perfect throughout but my weight loss should be somewhat right? But I am not losing very much and ready to give up.
When I say not perfect, I have bad binge days where I can easily consume double my calorie count. (My suggested consumption is 1200) I understand that could be one of the reasons but without feeling like I'm getting anywhere I tend to say Screw It! on some days.
How does everyone stay motivated? What am I doing wrong?
How long should I work out? I have a treadmill.
My profile pic is my dream body, obviously.
I am 5'2 and at 140lbs and 37 years old.
I want to lose and be fit but the lack of results are starting to wear on me.

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I am getting discouraged. I've been working out since November and I have not been perfect throughout but my weight loss should be somewhat right? But I am not losing very much and ready to give up.
    When I say not perfect, I have bad binge days where I can easily consume double my calorie count. (My suggested consumption is 1200) I understand that could be one of the reasons but without feeling like I'm getting anywhere I tend to say Screw It! on some days.
    How does everyone stay motivated? What am I doing wrong?
    How long should I work out? I have a treadmill.
    My profile pic is my dream body, obviously.
    I am 5'2 and at 140lbs and 37 years old.
    I want to lose and be fit but the lack of results are starting to wear on me.

you said it yourself - not being consistent, saying 'screw it' and doubling your calories - all those are likely your problems! to see consistent results you need to be consistent!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think your probably trying to be too aggressive with your calorie restriction.
    Set MFP to lose 0.5lbs - 1lb per week. It will be slow, but it will help you preserve your existing muscle mass since you don't have much to lose. It could also help with your "screw it" days. If your not feeling deprived, then there is less chance you will throw in the towel and say "screw it".
    Set your activity level appropriately for your day to day activities without exercise.
    Weigh your food on a food scale. This will improve accuracy in your food logs which will help (plus it has the added bonus of being less clean up then measuring cups/spoons).
    You should add in some form of strength training. You can do resistance band or dumbbell work or body weight or even go heavy with barbell stuff. Strength training helps preserve muscle mass and will help you get a leaner look.
    How much cardio you do is up to you.
    When you do cardio though, log it on MFP and eat 50% of the calories back (adjusting up or down as needed based on your average loss after 4 weeks).
  • salsup317
    salsup317 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You have to decide what's most important to you and stick to it. On the days you don't have the motivation, just think about why you are doing this. Motivation is not always something that comes naturally, and it's different for everyone. Is the treadmill something you enjoy doing, or is it a chore for you? Are you someone who needs to be outside? Find an activity that you enjoy because that will be easier to stick with. Get involved with a group somewhere, or find someone who you can work out with, even if it's only once a week. It's human nature to want instant results, but that's just not possible with this process. Consistency is key, and saying "screw it" not only can be bad with calories, it can be bad for your mental mindset and how you are approaching this process.
  • zerojunk
    zerojunk Posts: 70 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I find logging the foods before I eat them helps a lot. I see the numbers and then put an item or 2 in the fridge for later. I used to log at the end of the day when it's too late to make changes. I lost 7 pounds in the last 8 days, fat and water most likely from watching my sodium way more than I did.
  • cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. sometime I just say screw it and go eat some ice-cream or nutty buddies. Im going to try to start precooking vegetables and start eating fish and chicken again starting today. I am 5'3 and 144 pounds. I was down to 130 pounds 3 months ago but I stopped working out and eating way too much. I have to turn my life around and get back to wear I was. I know new workout gear really gets me motivated!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. If you are not losing, you are not at a deficit.
    Just because you work out doesn't mean you'll lose weight. I could work out 5 hrs per day and still gain because weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.
    I'd start by getting a food scale and learning how to weigh all your solids. Use measuring cups for only liquids.
    Learn how to log accurately here on mfp.
    Be consistent and be honest with your logging.
  • rbelinda10
    rbelinda10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I run between 5 and 10km a week and walk my dogs endlessly and still nothing happens and I am desperate to lose weight. It is food intake that will show results and your workouts will make you fitter and leaner when you do reach your goal. No workout is a waste of time but you have to eat sensibly because workouts alone will not do it. I know that I am keeping fit but the weight will only come off by consistently eating sensibly. So I am going to use MyFitnessPal every day and only weigh myself once a week. Have a treat now and again, but keep motivated and don't give up! It will happen but don't give yourself an unreasonable goal, take it a few pounds at a time.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    From someone who spent the last couple of years saying almost exactly the same "Im going to the gym every day for over an hour but not losing weight" - its your food intake that is to blame. Track everything. Stick to 1400 calories per day = EVERY DAY!! EVERY WEEK! High protein, low starchy carbs, plenty of veg, reasonable amounts of good fats (avocados and eggs are your friends in moderation!!) . No cheat days. Do that for 6 weeks and then see what happens.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cut Carbs - cut hunger - cut weight. 1-2-3.

• AneNicole1978
    AneNicole1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try all that you suggested. I changed my profile pic depict how I feel lol. I know I am my own worst enemy.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If 1200 is too difficult, shoot for something more manageable, like 1600. Weightloss will be slower, but it's better than feeling hungry and doubling your calorie intake (which 2400 will likely cause weight gain). If you have a problem with binge eating in and of itself, even when not trying to diet, you may want to seek professional help to address other underlying issues.

As for how long to work out, it depends on your intensity levels. In order for me to burn about 450 calories in an hour, I walk at a 3 mph pace up a 9% incline. You can burn about 200 at a more reasonable pace of 2.5mph at a 2-3% incline for an hour.

Overall, I suggest starting a low intensity workout for 30 minutes or so and gradually ramp up the intensity and length until you can work out for at least an hour a day, at medium or high intensity. Remember, weight loss will not be instant. It's taken me almost 4 months to lose 30 lbs; I have another 4 months to go to lose the rest. But you can do it! Celebrate the little victories.
  • zenzap
    zenzap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stick to celebrity slim shakes and meal replacement bars and snack bars I don't have much exercise time as I work full time doing home care I've realised swapping them around rather than having the same thing helps I'm stuck at the same weight I need to lose I'm sticking to 1200 cal a day eat a meal too healthy but nothing happening what should I do next
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The treadmill is cardio. For your dream body you need strength training as well and you need to be consistent.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Weight loss comes from a calorie deficit. If you are not losing, you are not at a deficit.
    Just because you work out doesn't mean you'll lose weight. I could work out 5 hrs per day and still gain because weight loss comes from a calorie deficit.
    I'd start by getting a food scale and learning how to weigh all your solids. Use measuring cups for only liquids.

Very well said, +1
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    wait for it, someone is going to post the flow chart
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    1. Don't be too aggressive. It'll be easier and you'll end up with a better body if you aim for 0.5-1 lb per week and eat back exercise calories (or half of your exercise calories since mfp often overestimates burn).
    2. Plan your days in advance and weigh your portions to match what you planned. Stick to the plan.
    3. Work the foods you like into the plan. You could have ice cream every day if you're willing to spend the calories on it.
  • krouch17
    krouch17 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. Consistency is key! You can have bad days as long as it's not everyday!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    zenzap wrote: »
    I'm trying to stick to celebrity slim shakes and meal replacement bars and snack bars I don't have much exercise time as I work full time doing home care I've realised swapping them around rather than having the same thing helps I'm stuck at the same weight I need to lose I'm sticking to 1200 cal a day eat a meal too healthy but nothing happening what should I do next

Are you weighing the foods you do eat? Accurately logging the meal replacement bars and drinks? Some meal replacement bars and shakes have 3-400 cals in them....eating or drinking 3+ a day can use up your entire 1200 calories before you even eat your meal or account for any other calories (from drinks, a bite here or there, etc...).

Replacement items are not a guarantee of success....they still require you to be in a deficit to lose weight. They are a convenient way to get a meal/snack in, but thats about it.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

But if you work out 5 hours a day aren't you creating a bigger deficit? This is the only thing about losing weight that I don't get. I do body combat 4 times a week and whilst I truly thought it should be dropping off me. I'm hardly losing at all. In fact I gained 1.5 last week
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I was and sometimes still am where you are. Hardly any loss despite my 6 day a week exercise routine. In fact, I gained. Some of it was water weight. Are you seeing results in other ways? If not, it may come down to the math. You may be exercising a lot, but if you're burning X calories but eating much more than that, there's simply no deficit - despite how much you feel like you're working out, sweating, sore, etc. I would overeat unknowingly - simply look at the food label, have a slice of bread for example, and log it. But now I weigh that one slice and find that two slices from the same loaf can be significantly different in calorie count. And I was one of those who swore they were logging correctly. Also, we're shorter - not by a lot - but every calorie counts in our case.