Beware of.....FIBRE!!!

Options
Warning!! :laugh:

Well, over the past two weeks or so, I have upped my fibre intake as mine was extremely low! Sometimes only consuming 2-3g per day! Anyway, now its more like 25-30g per day! I was just wondering, is it normal to suffer gas/wind/farts, what ever way you want to put it, from eating more fibre?? I never thought I would ask a question like this and I guarantee my sister will be laughing her face off when she reads the (also on MFP!) but I need answers!! Ha!

Replies

• liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    fiber is supposed to keep you really full. so i tried eating a lot of fiber foods and yes, they do make you gassy!
    when people eat fiber one cereal bars, they get bloated and gassy. me too, so i stopped buying them :(
    so yes, it is completely normal to be gassy when eating a lot of fiber
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Yes its normal, the fiber produces gas when its broken down by your body, it has to go somewhere :laugh:
  • pcteck2
    pcteck2 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    YES!:blushing:
  • Babrao
    Babrao Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    OMG, the same thing happened to me!!!! I have upped my fiber intake ALOT, I have FiberOne bars, Cereal, etc. I started getting very bad cramps in the afternoon and gas and etc. I have cut back on my fiber intake now, lol. Lesson learned, too much is not good!
  • mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I think your body gets used to it after a while and doesn't "react" as much - at least that's what I "hear". ;) LOL
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it gets easier with time :)
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal if you increase fiber dramatically - try increasing slowly so your body has a chance to adjust.
  • SwissTracey
    SwissTracey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I got this way too from increasing my protein. Once my body was used to more protein everything went back to normal.
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    Your body will eventually get used to consuming higher levels of fiber and it won't produce as much.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    One suggestion I've read is to increase your fibre gradually so your body can adapt.
  • becksini
    becksini Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    yes, but if you progress slowly you can eat more fiber! I eat about 40 grams a day and Im fine! baby steps
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    Your body will eventually get use to it and you won't be sooo gassy. Ease into it. You don't go from not running to running a marathon in one day do you? No :wink:
  • geluf2
    geluf2 Posts: 12
    Options
    Gas is a natural by-product of Fiber intake. By definition, dietary fiber is plant matter that is not digestible by the human gastrointestinal tract. Fiber binds to water, which keeps the water in the intestine in order to soften stool, which is why it is such an important part of regulating the digestive system.

However, certain types of bacteria in the colon CAN digest fiber, and gas is the by-product of that digestion. For this reason, it is never a good idea to very suddenly increase your fiber intake by a lot. Moderate the increase a little at a time until you find a balance.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note to make you laugh. Do you know why you should never hold a fart????
    Cause it travels up your spine into your brain and that is where ****ty Ideas come from. LOL :laugh:

Okay I got edited, anyway crappy ideas, is that better MFP editor?? LOL
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing, as far as it will go away, or lesse. .... When I upped my fiber, gas! What a bummer. But the further along I go, the less gas I experience. Got some Gas-X just in case.:laugh:
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It's normal but it will go away. You will have the same thing happen pretty much anytime you drastically change your diet.
  • jwbwvf
    jwbwvf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Drink more water with the fiber and it helps prevent gas
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It depends on the source of your fibre ... if it has mostly been from grains (whole wheat, bran, rice, corn etc), try a week of bumping up or replacing fibre sources with vegetables and (less so) fruit. For instance, high fibre vegetables: broccoli, avocado, greens (kale, beet greens etc), eggplant, spinach, sweet potatoes, and fruit: apples, bananas, berries (strawberries, blueberries etc). You may have a sensitivity to fibre from grains that isn't apparent until you start eating larger quantities. An added bonus is vegetables and fruits have more nutrients per calorie compared to grains.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Fibre? Im supposed to be afraid of Fibre? I thought I was supposed to watch out for fiber.....
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    How were you eating less than 5g of fiber per day? That's like 1 apple.