Got weighed at the doctors...

Options
Apparently I weigh more than I though, I thought I was somewhere around 136lbs (I haven't weighed myself in a while as I don't own any yet) and I saw that I was around 65kg which is about 143-144lbs :/

I was just wondering how accurate that could be as it was late afternoon and I had eaten a small meal and had a lot of tea to drink. I was also fulling clothed, wearing jeans, a shirt and trainers. So how much could all of that change my weight?

Replies

• jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You were fully clothed, including jeans and shoes, and had eaten *and* had "a lot" of tea before the weigh-in. Uh yeah, I believe that the scale could show up to a 7 pound gain.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Depends on the clothes and also how much you have ingested today. End of the day food and drink is usually 3lbs for me. Jeans are 2-3lbs in my experience. Tshirts around .5lb i have found.

Also, all scales are going to be off. Put 10 cales next to each other and step on each one in succession and you will see a wide range of weights. Pick one scale to focus on and jut think about the number.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Not all scales weigh the same.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I get weighed in at the doctor I'm usually about 5 Lbs more than I am when I'm on my scale, unclothed, and without foods and beverages in me. When I weigh in at my trainer's, it's usually 3 Lbs because my workout clothes are lighter than my street clothes.

Of course, all of this would be pretty variable.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Can change it about that much :)

They didn't even have you remove the shoes? Yeesh. Maybe get a home scale so you can spot check on occasion.
  • ajc1309
    ajc1309 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sounds dumb but I just weighed the clothing and shoes I wore on my food scale. They only made up for about 2.5lbs.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    My doctor's scale weighed 4 lbs. heavier than my home scale. I checked mine for accuracy, and it checks out, so I'm going with it.
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I've had similar things happen, its never fun but its a good wake up call sometimes.
  • jesscran815
    jesscran815 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well if you think about it, 8 oz of water (one cup) would weigh about 1/2 pound. And I usually have about 2 servings of that in coffee and 8-10 in water every day. So if you had lots of liquids that could add some onto it.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    your weight can fluctuate 2-4 pounds each day, depending on hydration, bathroom visits, etc.
  • AmandaOmega
    AmandaOmega Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If I weigh myself first thing in the morning, and then after a small breakfast and tea, I note a 2-3lb increase. Then with 2-3lbs of clothes, that's easily 4-6lbs extra. Do your clothes still fit fine? Do they not? Maybe get a scale for home?
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    uggh the doctor's office scale....my arch enemy. Just go with yours consistently. The loss is relevant to the starting point. I used to sometimes put a hand (dumbbell) weight on my home scale- one that was 4lbs just to see if mine was off. It was actually accurate.
  • ajc1309
    Options
    Thank for the replies. I've ordered some cheap but cheerful bathroom scales, I'm tired of guess work now!
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    ajc1309 wrote: »
    Thank for the replies. I've ordered some cheap but cheerful bathroom scales, I'm tired of guess work now!
    Remember that the number may not be what you expect at first, you'll need to trend it out a few days as you "get a feel" for each other.
  • flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I make doctor's appointments for the morning and I skip food or coffee until after the weigh-in. My doctor's scale still weighs me consistently at five pounds heavier than my home scale every time. I know my scale is correct because I use a 20lb dumbbell to check it, and I trust the accuracy of the plates more than I do either of the scales.

My doctor deducts four pounds for shoes and clothing: ask if yours is doing something similar.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    all scales are different.

between the 4 scales i have routine access to - they vary by around 15 pounds lol
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've wondered how much coffee and cloths add to my weight so I experimented one morning. Weighed myself naked before consuming anything and then again after coffee (24 oz) and wearing a regular outfit (undergarments, tank top, sweater, jeans, socks) with boots (thick leather, knee high, 2in heal) and only gained three pounds.
  • AsiramKay
    AsiramKay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Unless you normally weigh yourself in the nude i wouldnt calculate clothes because they dont weigh a significant amount unless its a fur coat or something. If you drank more than normal add as much weight as the extra beverage(s) weighs. if you drank average amounts id say its accurate
  • dynamix1
    dynamix1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I went to my regular doctor it showed 4 lbs less than my home scale. I have a digital scale and the doctor has one of those beam scales that you slide the weights. From my understanding those are the most accurate. I could be wrong but that's what i've heard. Also when I go to the heart doctor and I check my weight it s 4 lbs more than my home scale. They also have a digital scale but I'm not buying the accuracy of it as it seems a little on the old side.
  • ajc1309
    Options
    I weighed myself today on my new scale (without clothes and after eating and drinking at work) and I weighed 5lbs less than the Dr's scale. They use the large older mechanic style ones.