Tips for running in the morning (as opposed to the night)

Options
Hey all!
I'm usually an evening runner because I find that after eating my days worth of food I'm full of energy to go out and smash out a decent run. However I'd like to start running in the morning to free up my evenings for university studies.
Does anybody have advice regarding running in the mornings? The reasons why I'm struggling is because in the morning I feel weak and no energy... and thus my pace drops significantly. Most importantly, I often just feel bad while running and don't achieve runners high.
Do you guys eat before morning runs? How long should you be waiting? And do you still eat breakfast after runs? Lets discuss! :)

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I love running in the morning. I don't like to work out fasted either, so I normally have a cup of coffee and a protein bar before my 25 min-ish walk to the gym and I feel good all the way to the end of my hour run. For my Saturday long runs I usually have something small with some quick carbs too.
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    demo_man wrote: »
    Take a preworkout or fat burner as soon as you get up. Drink some water and hit it. Fasted cardio in the morning works well for me.

Fat burner.. what haha. Looks like I have some research to do..
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    I love running in the morning. I don't like to work out fasted either, so I normally have a cup of coffee and a protein bar before my 25 min-ish walk to the gym and I feel good all the way to the end of my hour run. For my Saturday long runs I usually have something small with some quick carbs too.

Good idea. Do you find protein bars give you any cramps?
    What are examples of "something small" you would have before your saturday runs? thank you!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a bowl of cereal and run about 60-90 minutes later on a morning
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Tips for running in the morning.
    • Set all your stuff out the night before. Sleep in your shoes if you like. Take a pillow to the track or the trail you run on and sleep there. No excuses when that alarm goes off.
    • Get up when the alarm goes off.
    • Have a little bit something to drink. Water. Cold coffee. Miller Light Whiskey
    • Eat a small snack if you like. I seldom do.
    • Get out there and run. You'll be asleep the first mile. Just tell yourself the first mile pace is slower and forget about it. No one will notice your slower split time. They'll all say "Damn! They already did their run this morning." and they'll be totes jealous of your 14 min/mile splits.
    • Enjoy the sunrise. This is one of the best parts of running in the morning.
    • Fell better knowing all the rapists and thugs are still asleep in bed and tired from chasing people that run in the evening.
    • Laugh at all the people stuck in traffic as you run past them.
    • Shower, enjoy some food and the rest of your day. Your workout is done all the rest of the day is yours!

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DaphneSW wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »

Good idea. Do you find protein bars give you any cramps?
    What are examples of "something small" you would have before your saturday runs? thank you!!

Protein bars are always my breakfast whether or not I run and I've never had problems with them. I like the high fibre ones like Quest and they've yet to cause me gastrointestinal difficulty, but of course everyone is different.

If I'm running more than ten miles or so on a Saturday I usually have a piece of toast or half a bagel or something along with my usual protein bar, but sometimes I have a handful of dried fruit or something instead. I just aim for approximately 100 carb-y calories for some quick energy (If I'm doing 2 hrs or more I also have half a gel or a couple Clif Blox or whatever around the hour mark and around an hour and a half.)
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'd love running in the early morning... if I could just schedule it for later in the day. :p The take-away from that... getting out of the house is the hardest part! That bed is like a magnet to me!!!!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    When I run in the morning, I more or less roll out of bed, drink a bit of water, put on my clothes, and head out. The key is to get out of bed and head out the door before your sleepy brain has time to say, "Oh wait... go back to bed!"
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Take a preworkout or fat burner as soon as you get up. Drink some water and hit it. Fasted cardio in the morning works well for me.

Fat burner.. what haha. Looks like I have some research to do..

For me personally, when I switch from evening to morning runs I just have to gut it out. Usually after a week I'm used to it and ready to go in the mornings. The switch on the other hand is a *kitten*. I've tried to switch a couple of times just recently to avoid the rain and failed miserably. Eventually it'll get so hot during the day that I'll get it done.

Don't do the fat burner. They're basically caffeine/other stimulants. Have a cup of coffee or tea instead if you want. Have a small snack before you head out if you like, or go before eating. I find a run kills my appetite for an hour or so.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    • Set all your stuff out the night before. Sleep in your shoes if you like. Take a pillow to the track or the trail you run on and sleep there. No excuses when that alarm goes off.
    • Have a little bit something to drink. Water. Cold coffee. Miller Light Whiskey
    • Get out there and run. You'll be asleep the first mile. Just tell yourself the first mile pace is slower and forget about it. No one will notice your slower split time. They'll all say "Damn! They already did their run this morning." and they'll be totes jealous of your 14 min/mile splits.
    • Fell better knowing all the rapists and thugs are still asleep in bed and tired from chasing people that run in the evening.
    • Shower, enjoy some food and the rest of your day. Your workout is done all the rest of the day is yours!

I could not stop laughing, great list!

• codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I get out of bed an hour before my anticipated run time and have a cup of coffee while watching my favorite youtube channel with the really bright living room lights on. When I was getting into the habit, it helped to have my clothes set out the night before.
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    This...with a side order of "Get up and go"!
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

• Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Hey all!
    I'm usually an evening runner because I find that after eating my days worth of food I'm full of energy to go out and smash out a decent run. However I'd like to start running in the morning to free up my evenings for university studies.
    Does anybody have advice regarding running in the mornings? The reasons why I'm struggling is because in the morning I feel weak and no energy... and thus my pace drops significantly. Most importantly, I often just feel bad while running and don't achieve runners high.
    Do you guys eat before morning runs? How long should you be waiting? And do you still eat breakfast after runs? Lets discuss! :)

Yup same here- can barely finish a mile whereas in the evenings I can do 3-7. I have no answer for you as I gave up :(
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I run every morning, 7-10 miles, around 5-6am. Pre run I just have some water and a mug or two of coffee and then I'm off. Ive always been a morning runner though, it sets my day up wonderfully. If I miss my morning run I am not a fun person to deal with lol
  • _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    When I run in the morning, I more or less roll out of bed, drink a bit of water, put on my clothes, and head out. The key is to get out of bed and head out the door before your sleepy brain has time to say, "Oh wait... go back to bed!"

This. So much this.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm the type of person that takes a while to get moving in the morning which means early starts - I get up around 5am and drink a large glass of water with medication I have to take on an empty stomach. That normally takes 30-60minutes of sitting quietly and waking up properly. I've just finished redoing the C25k and started on the 10k trainer so I head about about 6am or earlier. When I get back I've been drinking another glass of water then a cup of coffee followed by breakfast and then showering, getting dressed and heading to work. This started last winter when I was waking up insanely early no matter what so I started the C25K in the cold. It's also currently too hot to run after work since its the middle of summer here.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

My pre-workout......coffee. Fat burner? Is there such a thing?

OP it may just be a matter of adjusting to a new schedule. Personally going for a run first thing in the morning is the second best way I can think of to start my day off, you don't say how far or for how long you've been running. It may just be that you need to dial back the distances at first and expect it to not be brilliant at first (not all of us are morning people)

• dbzdbz123
    dbzdbz123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Depends on the time/distance. If my planned run 45 minutes or less, I basically roll out of bed and into my shoes. No food, no water, no coffee, but also no down time between waking up and leaving the house. (I set out my clothes and plan my route the night before, so no dawdling on the computer!)

If I want to run for an hour, or more, I wake up about an hour before I want to run. If I'm not too hungry, I just have coffee and wait for it to, uh, do its thing. Then I leave as soon as that's taken care of, before I can get hungry. I'll pack a Gu for the road, but only if I'm running more than an hour.

If I'm already hungry when I wake up, I'll have coffee plus peanut butter on a banana then wait 45 minutes before running to digest. (The PB & banana is my personal preference because it sits very well with me, but that's after many years of trial and error. I like it because it's "solid" and doesn't take up a lot of volume. Other people I know prefer oatmeal because it's heartier, or something with bread, or eggs, or a protein bar... but regardless, no more than 200 calories.)

Short version: trial and error is your friend!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am the opposite of you. I turn in to a slug at night, and I am my most energized first thing in the morning. Good luck changing your energy patterns; I haven't figured out how to run in the evening yet.

Have a big glass of water before you head out.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    don't take a "fat burner." these are overpriced pills that usually just contain some kind of stimulant or they do nothing. you do not want to do a lot of cardio on popular fatburning stimulants such as ephedrine or yohimbine - it can put unneeded strain on your heart.