What if Paleo/Primal married Gastric Bypass (Roux N Y) ??

Options
ksettle70
ksettle70 Posts: 7 Member
edited February 2016 in Food and Nutrition
It should be easy because Primal is naturally low carb, as recommended by GB docs for eating post op. But 8 years out and it is harder than I thought. Does the mal-absorbtive surgery negate the positive effects of coconut oil and healthy saturated fats? Are dehydrated Kale chips and green leaf smoothies the answer to getting it all in? What does the calorie/macro ratio look like?
Clues/insights welcomed!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Paleo/primal (I think primal is just a Mark Sisson thing) aren't inherently low carb, although I know Sisson (who I don't consider an authority on nutrition) is pro lower carb. In fact, people like Robb Wolf who have been important in writing about, popularizing, and defining the paleo diet have been talking lately about buying into low carb being a mistake that many have made in connection with paleo. I think most do reduce carbs when doing these diets since you put off limits many sources of carbs that many people rely on, but you can include any level of carbs and when I was doing crossfit more (which tends to have lots of people who do paleo-ish diets) there was always talk about how it was important to include enough carbs in your diet.

That aside (and without getting into a debate about paleo, since I personally think legumes, dairy, and whole grains can be healthy additions to a diet and even refined grains and sugar in moderation are fine), I don't know how is or a low carb plan meshes with WLS -- that's something I'd defer to a WLS medical team on.
  • bakemma
    bakemma Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the malabsorption effects of roux n y are essentially negated after 3 years other than some mirconutrients like iron and B12. Diet recommendations for 8 hears post op are essentially the same as anyone without the surgery.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sorry

You're saying that British doctors recommend paleo to gastric bypass patients? I find that difficult to believe
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Sorry

You're saying that British doctors recommend paleo to gastric bypass patients? I find that difficult to believe

No, she said they recommend low carb. This is true because the idea is to cut out the sugar.

Paleo is often mistaken as low carb, but it isn't. I follow Paleo for the most part (I'm not militant - I eat white potatoes, corn, and you'll have to pry the peanut butter out of my cold, dead hands) but I'm allergic to milk so I can't eat dairy anyway and a large family history of diabetes (I am not diabetic and I'd like to avoid it) so I keep the processed carbs and grains to a minimum.

My carbs are consistently over 100 gr per day, all from fruits and vegetables.

Paleo =/= low carb

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am post RNY and all I have to do is make sure I get my minimum protein in, which is the hardest to digest. Soft breads are hard, too. I can't see anything too difficult eating Paleo for a post-RNY patient, even though each patient will have different intolerances.

If I were trying to do both I would be most cranky giving up my Greek Yogurt and my Kefir, both excellent non-meat sources of protein.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Oh, and my macro ratio is "normal" a third of each.

All that fat might be difficult, as gall bladder problems can become an issue post-op.
  • ksettle70
    Options
    @jgnatca - what is your protein goal? Do you maintain or lose with that macro balance? How would you tweak it for weight loss? What would your overall calorie count be?
    Due to GBS, fats do not bother me because I absorb less than most, which is why a fat adapted keto diet approach doesn't work for me although I am a huge Jimmy Moore/Dave Asprey fan, it just doesn't jibe with WLS. Not strict paleo (more like Mark Sisson eats), I eat cheese and limited dairy / grains and over 10 grams of sugar makes me very ill. I buy organic and make my own food. I had seriously never tracked my protein or did the shakes faithfully. If I up my protein intake and lower my carbs to 10%, fat naturally goes up but so do calories.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I am unfamiliar with all of those people. I am highly conventional and have followed the Canada Food Guide and my dietitian's advice all my life. My daily protein goal is 81g, which is 20% of my total calories, 1610, and I am maintaining on this plan. To tweak for weight loss all I have to do is reduce my portion size. I would steadily lose at 1400 calories a day.

You don't need shakes to lose weight.

It seems to me once you get your protein covered you could make up much of the difference with carbs....unless your dietary beliefs prohibit that. You've got all the vegetables, grains, and some fruits to make up the difference.

I say some fruits since you get so ill consuming sugar.
  • ksettle70
    Options
    Thanks!