Training for a 30 mile trail run!

Options

Replies

• karinaApplebombinos
    Options
    ktfranke wrote: »
    I just started training a week ago! Downloaded the "run trainer," app by the makers of MFP! They have me running intervals and cross training to build a good base. By next weekend I'll be running 6 miles for my long run!

By the makers of MFP, you say.

I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

This nearly made my coffee shoot through my nose. I will be laughing about this comment all day. Thank you!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What kinds of gps watches do you all use?!

I have 3-4 - but use a Fenix 3 mostly now.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

That's a nice running platform!
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    @ktfranke
    I can summarize easily all the questions from posters here:

1. how many miles per week are you running now?
    2. how long ago did you run your half marathon?
    3. how fast was it?
    4. have you been training running between the half marathon and now? If so, how many miles per week?

the answers to these questions will guide your training more than anything, and enable the posters to give useful feedback.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    For roads or things 50k or under, FR610

For 50k+, Fenix.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

It's a great watch. I use it for pretty much everything.
  • ktfranke
    ktfranke Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    @ktfranke

3. how fast was it?
    4. have you been training running between the half marathon and now? If so, how many miles per week?

the answers to these questions will guide your training more than anything, and enable the posters to give useful feedback.

Thanks Drachfit!
    1. I am currently running about 15 miles a week.
    2. I ran a half marathon trail run two years ago, and have hiked the 30 mile trail (the same one that I will be running in July) the last 2 summers.
    3. My half marathon took me 2:32:00 with 1,730ft. Elevation gain.
    4. I have maintained my 15 miles a week, fairly consistently ever since I ran the half.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    So all the negativity on your post is why I don't ask questions on MFP. I read your original post and saw that you have run an half. Yes, there is a lot of difference between 13 and 30, but you obviously know that with greater distance comes greater (and smarter) work.

Ignore the naysayers; follow a good training plan; have fun!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Cave_Goose wrote: »
    So all the negativity on your post is why I don't ask questions on MFP. I read your original post and saw that you have run an half. Yes, there is a lot of difference between 13 and 30, but you obviously know that with greater distance comes greater (and smarter) work.

Ignore the naysayers; follow a good training plan; have fun!

Naysayers? Negativity? Are you sure you were reading this thread?
  • sjohnny
    Options
    @ktfranke

3. how fast was it?

Thanks Drachfit!
    2. I ran a half marathon trail run two years ago, and have hiked the 30 mile trail (the same one that I will be running in July) the last 2 summers.
    4. I have maintained my 15 miles a week, fairly consistently ever since I ran the half.

Lots of easy miles. Find a plan (any 50K plan will work - even a beginner marathon plan will get you there) and follow it as close as you can but basically get as much time on your feet as you can. If you can do some back to back long runs once you have a better mileage base built up that will help you a lot. Don't add mileage too quickly. Don't worry about intervals or tempo runs. As much running on trails and hills as you can.

Most ultramarathon plans assume you've already been running 25 mpw for a few months prior to starting the plan and go anywhere from 18 to 24 weeks from that base. You're a little behind the curve as far as that goes but it's not the end of the world. Just be careful of overuse injuries and take an easy week from time to time to let your body catch up.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thanks Drachfit!

@ktfranke ,

I think people were worried you were not training recently. But if you at least have the 15mpw base then it is just a matter of ramping the volume up significantly. You have 4 months plus a couple weeks on either end, or about 18 weeks to do so.

Most marathon plans are 18 weeks plus a week or two to taper, so you are right on the hairy edge right now. But it may be doable if you avoid injury. If you follow the rule that you shouldnt increase total distance more than ~10% a week, you can be running 50+miles/week in about 12-13 weeks, which is right where you need to be about 3 weeks before your race.

Find a beginner marathon or ultramarathon plan and stick to it. I think the biggest worry here is you have to increase your mileage a fair bit over what you are used to so the major thing is INJURY PREVENTION. get good nutrition, don't focus on losing weight. You probably will lose a little without trying once the mileage builds, but your goal should be to maintain weight so you are properly recovering. focus on lots of sleep. and if you feel any minor discomforts in your joints, deal with them ASAP or they will turn into overuse injuries in a few weeks. This may involve stretching, foam rolling, eating/sleeping more, or being very conscious of correct running technique during your runs.

sounds fun. id say you are a little behind the 8 ball here, but not insurmountably so. a slightly aggressive goal is good! get after it!
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Thanks Drachfit!

@ktfranke ,

I think people were worried you were not training recently. But if you at least have the 15mpw base then it is just a matter of ramping the volume up significantly. You have 4 months plus a couple weeks on either end, or about 18 weeks to do so.

Most marathon plans are 18 weeks plus a week or two to taper, so you are right on the hairy edge right now. But it may be doable if you avoid injury. If you follow the rule that you shouldnt increase total distance more than ~10% a week, you can be running 50+miles/week in about 12-13 weeks, which is right where you need to be about 3 weeks before your race.

Find a beginner marathon or ultramarathon plan and stick to it. I think the biggest worry here is you have to increase your mileage a fair bit over what you are used to so the major thing is INJURY PREVENTION. get good nutrition, don't focus on losing weight. You probably will lose a little without trying once the mileage builds, but your goal should be to maintain weight so you are properly recovering. focus on lots of sleep. and if you feel any minor discomforts in your joints, deal with them ASAP or they will turn into overuse injuries in a few weeks. This may involve stretching, foam rolling, eating/sleeping more, or being very conscious of correct running technique during your runs.

sounds fun. id say you are a little behind the 8 ball here, but not insurmountably so. a slightly aggressive goal is good! get after it!

So much naysayer.
  • ktfranke
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I do realize I'll be cutting it close! I'm gunna take all that you guys have said into consideration!
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options

It's a great watch. I use it for pretty much everything.

@EvgeniZyntx Any complaints about the watch. I've got 3 other Garmin watches but have been considering getting the Fenix 3.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments. But I do know a bit about the subject....my boyfriend just started official training for a 100k in September. I HIGHLY recommend you find a reputable training schedule to follow. A lot of ultra training is very low HR running - and I know his runs are based on time, not mileage (at least right now). There is lots and lots of running. But there is a method to it (which days you have off, when you go long vs short, etc). If you are serious about training properly I'd recommend talking to someone who has competed multiple ones or is a running coach. Preventing injury has a lot to do with listening to your body, proper running form, shoes, your training plan, etc. You also need to learn a lot about nutrition and fueling your runs, blah, blah blah.....

Not sure if there are any time cut offs for this particular race - but if not....most athletic people I know who have been doing some running could inevitably finish a 30 miler. It would just be ugly without proper training and planning. Injury prevention would be the biggest concern in my opinion.

Best of luck!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! I do realize I'll be cutting it close! I'm gunna take all that you guys have said into consideration!

how are you getting on OP?
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Goodness there's a lot of negativity here.

I hope you enjoy your training and that big run. Sounds like an adventure and a challenge and I wish you the best of luck- don't give up!

• brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Those kind of races have A LOT of walking strategically planned throughout the course. The elite racers will tell you that there's a ratio of walk:run that you'll want to focus on so you can make it to the finish. Good luck!

Haha! I didn't go from couch to 6 miles! Don't worry everyone, I'm going about this smart, and I won't stress my body out too much ;) The app has you put in what level of runner you are before you get started with the plan! And I've already been a runner, ("I've run a half before,") for years. And like runlifteat says, most people run/walk when it comes to intense trail races, which is my plan.

To be fair you gave no indication of how much running you are actually doing and several people asked what your average mileage is right now with no answer. "I've run a half before" is pretty vague. I could mean you ran one last week, or 10 years ago.

And to be fair she wasn't asking for advice about her average mileage or training so you didn't exactly need all the details of her schedule and past. She's excited and sharing her next big challenge which is awesome.

Again, good luck OP! I'm trying to plan a camping/hiking excursion for my summer trip. I could probably walk 30 miles haha!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You can do it OP!
  • ktfranke
    Options
    Hey everyone! Just wanted to give you all an update on my training!

I'm up to running 36 miles a week! I typically only run 3 days a week now. So I ran a 12 mile, a 6 mile & an 18 mile last week! And I'm averaging 10-11 minute miles!

I've been trying to choose routes that are on actual trails, or that have good elevation gain! And I've been running with my 2L hydration pack, so that I can get used to packing the weight! I'm feeling pretty confident so far!

I've discovered that I really need a caffeinated electrolyte drink around the halfway mark on my long runs. And I've also enjoyed using honey stinger gels every 3-4 miles!

The one struggle I'm having right now, is finding the right shoe/sock combo to prevent blisters... I bought some hokas a few months back, and some five toed socks to keep from blistering between my toes! But I'm getting terrible blisters on the outside of my big toe and on the inside ball of my foot, which makes me think I need a wider toe box, or maybe I need to start wearing compression socks to prevent swelling?!

The run date is August 5!