500-900 Calories a Day.

Options
Hi so I'm getting a bit frustrated with myself. I'm 18, 5'7", and I weight around 241 lbs. I started gaining weight in high school due to depression. I was never able to lose weight because of my thyroid and hormones. I recently was put on medicine to help balance everything out, so I started eating clean. I'm a really picky eater, I don't like much at all. I noticed I eat maximum 800-900 calories a day but I feel so full. I never feel weak or hungry. I don't get headaches or shakes. I think the worst thing I might eat is 2 tbsp of ranch with my salads. I've only lost like 5 lbs. I know 800 calories is not healthy but I never feel hungry (besides in the morning and dinner but then I eat). I eat 3 meals a day (mostly fruit, chicken, and salads) and sometimes a snack or two (like a bowl of cucumber or other fruits). I'm not sure what to do, I really don't want to force myself to eat more because then I feel sick. Mind you, this is how much I eat when I'm not exercising. When I do exercise, it lowers it due to burning it off. I've started walking daily for at least 20-25 minutes or at least a mile (3 mph). Even when I exercise I don't feel extra hungry. I'm going to start swimming and riding my bike soon too. I'm just not sure what to do. I feel amazing but I know 500-800 calories a day can't be good for me. Plus I'm not losing much. I'm not sure if i'm in starvation mode or what, I just know I eat alot each meal and feel full but the calories never add up over 1000.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You know its unhealthy, so you need to up your calories. You don't need to eat more by volume if you don't want, you need to eat more calorie dense foods. You're young, don't go setting yourself up for poor health by depriving yourself.

How you feel is not a good indicator of whether you're doing damage - sadly, often by the time you start to feel the effects, damage is already occurring.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thread will be locked in 3...2...1...
  • Khannie_N
    Khannie_N Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Are you working with a doctor or dietitian? If you're having thyroid and hormone issues that's where I'd start. Get a good blood work up done.
  • katnoir1
    katnoir1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough. You're going to need to get in a bit more, but do it right. Start off gradually, maybe an extra 100 a week or so. Energy dense foods will probably be your friend here - things like nuts, avocados, seeds - that are high in nutrients and calories in small portions. A handful of almonds is around 175 calories, but contains lots of good fat, fibre, and protein. Just don't get sucked into eating crap to make up the extra calories. A bottle of Coke might be high calories, but it's not going to do you any favours.
  • melhasz8
    melhasz8 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You really need to eat more calories, especially before you start riding your bike . Find a couple of good protein bars or protein shakes that you like, that will up your calories and add more protein to your diet as well. Since you are so young as well, your metabolism should really get going once you are in the ideal calories range. I would say at least at 1200 or higher, maybe more the harder you work out..
  • weightaminutenow
    weightaminutenow Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem but have done a little better the last few days. What works for me is to eat smaller "meals/snacks" more often. I find that I don't feel quite so full, or bloated, and I can get my calorie count up a bit without eating unhealthy foods. My energy level feels better too - I think blood sugars are more regulated eating this way rather than having dips and spikes during the day when eating larger meals. It will be even more important for you to get your calories up if you are going to start doing more exercise. You may feel okay now but down the line it will have an affect on you. Good for you for taking the first steps! Add me as a friend if you wish. I'm 52, 5;'4", and I weigh 245. I have 100 to lose (have lost 12 so far).
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    OP if you appetite is that suppressed you should talk to your doctor about your medication levels and labs.

Sometimes a doctor will supervise a very low calorie diet, but it doesn't sound like that is what happening here. Prioritize protein and fat at meals while you get this figured out.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    how bout nah.
  • vaporrama
    vaporrama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I never feel hungry and when I do eat a small amount is enough to make me full. I have switched to a high protein diet and cut out all grains. It's only been a few weeks but this has seemed to make a big difference for me.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your portions (food scale, cups/spoons, eyeballing, etc.)? And how long have you been eating at your current intake? It's highly unlikely that you've been eating that little for a significant period of time with no weight loss. It's incredibly common for people to underestimate their caloric intake significantly. It's also common for people to eat that little for a few days, then go significantly over their target on a different day, but only "remember" the low intake days.
  • kristysaurus
    kristysaurus Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said you do need to be eating more calories. Speaking from personal experience, eating that little can have serious long-term health effects. Even if you feel okay, it can follow you for a long time or for the rest of your life.

Even if you eat a few hundred more per day (handful of almonds or nuts, slightly larger portions of fruit/veggies/meat. etc.) and work your way up to a healthier number of calories per day. It may also be beneficial to check with your doctor about hormone/thyroid issues to make sure medications are balanced and in check.
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Katelyn, that def is very low for your body to function on. It basically doesn't want to let go of any weight because it thinks it needs it. That feeling of hunger is actually your body thinking it's starving and it can cause you to binge. We should actually never really feel hungry. You do need to eat just a little more. Have your breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. and those snacks can seriously be like a cheese stick, or a fruit or just something small. The goal is to keep your metabolism always moving. And yes, when you burn those calories through exercise, you should eat those calories back up. This is the trick though, it doesn't mean you have to eat more, but eat higher calories foods like peanut butter with crackers. Peanut butter is good for you and the calories can climb easily. Avocado is another awesome one that can climb easily. Hope this helps.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What was the time frame for those 5 pounds? If you aren't losing as fast as expected, you may be eating more than you think. If you lose faster than expected, you need to eat more. If you are overweight, you are able to eat more. Do you weigh your food before you log it?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    KAYRRIE wrote: »
    Katelyn, that def is very low for your body to function on. It basically doesn't want to let go of any weight because it thinks it needs it. That feeling of hunger is actually your body thinking it's starving and it can cause you to binge. We should actually never really feel hungry. You do need to eat just a little more. Have your breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. and those snacks can seriously be like a cheese stick, or a fruit or just something small. The goal is to keep your metabolism always moving. And yes, when you burn those calories through exercise, you should eat those calories back up. This is the trick though, it doesn't mean you have to eat more, but eat higher calories foods like peanut butter with crackers. Peanut butter is good for you and the calories can climb easily. Avocado is another awesome one that can climb easily. Hope this helps.

your metabolism always moves,at times it may be slower than others due to different things(like a health issue) but its moving. once it stops you die. hunger is not your body thinking its starving. hunger is just a signal letting you know that you need food. even on the calories she is eating she should still be losing weight. Its not safe to eat so little though.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

Thanks for your understanding,
    JustSomeEm
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
This discussion has been closed.