When exercise calories are too much for your appetite

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    @shaunjadon, like I said on your other thread, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • TamzFit777
    TamzFit777 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I use to watch women come to my gym and do cardio til their legs fell off, for months, and didn't lose much weight. Muscle will burn fat, and you won't get bulky. Ask your trainer about a build muscle phase. :)
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    shaunjadon wrote: »
    You've lost 10 pounds. Congratulations! What were you complaining about?

Thanks so much!!! My scale hasn't budged going on 4 weeks now though, I think my body may be in starvation mode unfortunately

If the scale hasn't budged in 4 weeks, you're eating maintenance calories. How are you measuring your caloric intake? If the answer is anything but I weigh all caloric solids on a digital scale and use measuring cups/spoons exclusively for caloric liquids, you are eating more than you think you are.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    TamzFit777 wrote: »
    I use to watch women come to my gym and do cardio til their legs fell off, for months, and didn't lose much weight. Muscle will burn fat, and you won't get bulky. Ask your trainer about a build muscle phase. :)

Muscle does burn fat but not as much as the hype would lead you to believe.
    Cardio is useless for weight loss if the calorie intake end of things are off. You can lose weight doing tons of cardio, you can lose weight doing no cardio. You can lose weight without even exercising.

There are many benefits to strength training - that is not my point, my point is that it is not the only solution for weight loss. You will also gain weight if you eat too much while strength training.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    How many net calories are you usually eating everyday?
  • TamzFit777
    Options

Cardio is useless for weight loss if the calorie intake end of things are off. You can lose weight doing tons of cardio, you can lose weight doing no cardio. You can lose weight without even exercising.

There are many benefits to strength training - that is not my point, my point is that it is not the only solution for weight loss. You will also gain weight if you eat too much while strength training.

No the only solution, but it does help tremendously and is something the poster seems to be missing, also REST is just as important as diet and exercise.
  • megbugs
    megbugs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I hit a "plateau" I look at the week at a whole and calculate my CICO. I've found that longer periods of not losing (3-4 weeks) often I'm splurging on calories too often/eating too many exercise calories. Could you be doing really well for 4-5 days out of the week and then sabotaging all your hard work 2-3 days/week? Also, you have to watch when you manually enter exercising and your fitbit is calculating the same exercises. You may be underestimating your food intake and overestimating your exercise.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

No the only solution, but it does help tremendously and is something the poster seems to be missing, also REST is just as important as diet and exercise.

Muscle burns about 6-10 calories per lb. Fat requires 2-4 calories per lb.
    So 10 extra lbs of muscle (not exactly easy to add) is a whole extra 100 calories.

Strength training also burns calories, but typically less than cardio overall but that brings us back to calories in and calories out. It doesn't really matter what you do to generate the calories out, you still need to take less calories in matter.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    You have hit a plateau and should increase intensity of your workouts, not increase time (more resistance, higher incline, HIIT weightlifting instead of cardio). Do you lift? Lift heavier.

I do the elliptical on a 10 incline. I do HIIT at least 5x a week along with a body pump class which is pure weight lifting about 2x a week on top of everything else.

hiit should be done one day and then you take a day or two off from it,then you can do it again. it shouldnt be done everyday. thats too much stress on your body. I would do the weight lifting more days and the hiit less.
  • TamzFit777
    edited February 2016
    Options

So 10 extra lbs of muscle (not exactly easy to add) is a whole extra 100 calories.

Strength training also burns calories, but typically less than cardio overall but that brings us back to calories in and calories out. It doesn't really matter what you do to generate the calories out, you still need to take less calories in matter.

6-10 calories burned while at rest. You forgot to add in the actual "activity" of lifting that also burns calories.

I think this quote comes from the website you got your info from

"The best way to ensure your muscles are burning calories is to use them. The 10 pounds of muscle just sitting on your body may not burn that much, but the workouts you do in order to add that muscle means that you’re burning off calories. In terms of fat loss, strength training is the best way to add lean muscle and burn calories, because it ensures that you don’t lose your muscle mass while you exercise & diet."

http://www.builtlean.com/2013/04/16/muscle-burn-calories/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

6-10 calories burned while at rest. You forgot to add in the actual "activity" of lifting that also burns calories.

lifting doesnt burn a lot of calories though
  • TamzFit777
    Options
    It's not only about calories. Lifting burns fewer calories, but burning calories from too much cardio can be counter productive, you end up burning muscle along with the fat. The goal is to burn fat. Not muscle. So therefore, a combination of lifting and cardio, with diet and rest works best. The OP is missing lifting so i suggested lifting, I didn't say only to lift, or to stop cardio, although I think she should slow down on the cardio....but lifting seemed to be a missing aspect of her fitness.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    It's not only about calories. Lifting burns fewer calories, but burning calories from too much cardio can be counter productive, you end up burning muscle along with the fat. The goal is to burn fat. Not muscle. So therefore, a combination of lifting and cardio, with diet and rest works best. The OP is missing lifting so i suggested lifting, I didn't say only to lift, or to stop cardio, although I think she should slow down on the cardio....but lifting seemed to be a missing aspect of her fitness.

can you post a link where it states that too much cardio burns muscle?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

The Pubmed link actually indicates that hypertrophy is possible with concurrent aerobic and resistance training.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I think this quote comes from the website you got your info from

"The best way to ensure your muscles are burning calories is to use them. The 10 pounds of muscle just sitting on your body may not burn that much, but the workouts you do in order to add that muscle means that you’re burning off calories. In terms of fat loss, strength training is the best way to add lean muscle and burn calories, because it ensures that you don’t lose your muscle mass while you exercise & diet."

http://www.builtlean.com/2013/04/16/muscle-burn-calories/

Uh. No. I didn't.

• 3dogsrunning
    Options

You burn muscle when you do not properly fuel your workouts. Undereating plus lots of cardio - yes, you will burn muscle. But you will not burn muscle even at high levels of cardio if you fuel properly (in the context of dieting, that would include keeping a moderate deficit).

When losing weight, you are bound to lose muscle as well as fat. To keep as much muscle as possible it is suggested you eat at a moderate deficit, get enough protein and strength train. You can do as little or as much cardio as you want so long as you maintain a moderate deficit.

Your one study linked actually doesn't support your claim.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited February 2016
    Options

It's not about whether your advice is valued it is questioning the accuracy of the information you provide.

Strength training has tons of benefits. I encourage everyone to do it. But it is not a magic weight loss pill. You were telling OP to bulk when she isn't losing weight.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Just a few things:
    If 1200 calories feels easy, it's probably more than 1200 calories. If you are using those quick adds & just recording what you thought you ate on the fly, you are probably forgetting a lot. That's much more common than you might think.
    And yes, 2 lbs of loss is hard to maintain like clockwork. Weight loss is not linear.
    Does your Fitbit have the HR feature? Because the burns you are being given might be too high.
    I do fall into the deficit trap you describe whenever I hike around 12-15 miles. I just can't seem to pack or eat big enough meals as its happening to accommodate the huge expenditure but if I fall too far behind the next day I am very hungry & that gets addressed by adding in a fourth meal. I eat either a second breakfast or a second lunch in recovery and I'm fine. It is virtually impossible to burn calories like that in normal life or a regular gym class.
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I did two laps around the hallway then would do 10 body squats. This commenced for an hour as my patients arrived later than usual. Fitbit said I burned 490 calories based on this.

2 laps in a hallway and 10 body squats does not burn 490 calories.
    My usual routine involves going to the gym for an hour on my lunch break and doing 1 hour on the elliptical. I did that today plus the 5 minute cool down. Now based on this physical activity alone, I have over 2000 calories to consume. I consumed a bolt house smoothie for breakfast and a prepackaged salad for lunch which gave me 520 caloies. I am a 1290 calorie diet through MFP.

I'm not clear by this, is 2000 calories the amount you thing burned doing an hour of elliptical (that would be wrong) or your new daily target (1290+710=2000), meaning you burned 710 calories doing elliptical (reasonable but high estimate)?