Your favorite moves for building leg that aren't often used

Options
Besides the usual like barbell squats and deadlifts etc, what are some moves that you recommend for building leg?

Replies

• organic_homestead
    organic_homestead Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Oh, I like this. Can't wait to see ideas. One exercise I really like is Turkish Getups. It is more of a full body, but I really do feel it in my glutes and quads. I'm working on increasing the Kettlebell weight.
  • laraaragon
    laraaragon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh, I like this. Can't wait to see ideas. One exercise I really like is Turkish Getups. It is more of a full body, but I really do feel it in my glutes and quads. I'm working on increasing the Kettlebell weight.

That looks difficult! I tired one and I could feel it everywhere.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Cable kickbacks, cable adductors/abductors, hip thrust
  • ngagne
    ngagne Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Lunges.
    Any variation.
    In my opinion, commonly known as a good leg/butt movement, not used as much as I think they should be.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Reverse lunges with heavy dumbbells.
  • provencal73
    provencal73 Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I love hip thrusts on the smith machine. Just recently tried pistol squats too.. killer burn.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Peterson Step Ups.
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bulgarian spilt squats, barbell hip thrust, tension squat, lying leg curl, curtsy lunges to name a few
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Jefferson dead lifts
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Farmer's walk. Gets a lot done at once.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    laraaragon wrote: »

Why only unconventional exercises? Wouldn't you rather know what works the best?

Ok, fine. Jumping lunges. Stair climbs (2 steps at a time). Sprinting. :+1:
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    back hyperextensions
  • laraaragon
    laraaragon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Why only unconventional exercises? Wouldn't you rather know what works the best?

Because I already do the conventional stuff and my body needs change to grow! It gets too easy with the same moves over and over.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Because I already do the conventional stuff and my body needs change to grow! It gets too easy with the same moves over and over.

Focus on different volumes, time under tension, paused sets, banded/chains, increase weights, speed sets, partials and many other ways to change up the traditional compound leg moves.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yoga ball leg curls

Bosu ball squats holding a kettlebell and with a mini band around legs (just above the knee) <
    burnnnnn the glutes!
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Barbell hack squats, single leg squats, front squats. Rarely...sissy squats, pistol squats, zercher squats (hate these)
    Gironda leg extensions were a regular quad exercise for me...mostly just involves sitting unconventionally in a leg extension machine to put more tension on the quads (back and gluteus not touching the seat cushioning).
    I just don't feel comfortable doing Jefferson squats in a gym/public setting!

My recommendation, do whatever you like without developing joint pain...ideally something easy to track for progress yet not boring. Say 1 gold standard exercise + 1 random just for reps/out of boredom
  • Mountainbum777
    Mountainbum777 Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Romanian Deadlifts hands down....when done with proper form you will know after a few sets if you have ever truly done real hamstring work haha. Get that nice glute squeeze at the top too...you'll never do another leg curl again!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Why only unconventional exercises?

The solution for easy weights is heavier weights. That's a fundamental principle for bigger muscles.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Seated ham curls and RDLs I use for booty/hams.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Bulgarian split squats. Can go super heavy to replace barbell squats, especially when lacking mobility. Or else used as an accessory, especially if you have one side weaker than another to catch up. Foot placement can emphasise quads or hams, depending on goals!