Favourite ways to eat Sweet potatos?!

Options

Replies

• CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Wrapped in banana leaves then smoked in an earth ovan typically known in the pacific islands as a lovo / hungi / imu / umu.

Gives any food a very distinct sweet/honey smokey taste and smell. Sadly you only ever see food like this at special occasions(weddings, birthdays, xmas, easter etc ..) :neutral:

Otherwise i just boil or bake in a conventional oven with maybe a bit of butter.
  • glitterflower
    glitterflower Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sliced, brushed with coconut oil, sprinkled w/ garlic, salt, pepper, baked for 30 min. then topped with homemade guac and fried eggs! it's one of my FAVORITE dinners! here's the recipe I base mine off of: http://thehonoursystem.com/2015/04/10/eggs-with-avocado-sweet-potato-toast/
  • DaphneSW
    DaphneSW Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    CubicalF13 wrote: »
    Wrapped in banana leaves then smoked in an earth ovan typically known in the pacific islands as a lovo / hungi / imu / umu.

Gives any food a very distinct sweet/honey smokey taste and smell. Sadly you only ever see food like this at special occasions(weddings, birthdays, xmas, easter etc ..) :neutral:

Otherwise i just boil or bake in a conventional oven with maybe a bit of butter.

omg I love hangi!! Great suggestion
  • DaphneSW
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • natalialikescookies
    Options
    We love love love sweet potatoes!

We have two favorite ways that we eat regularly!
    Chopped and roasted with olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper and then topped with fresh Parmesan when done

Or on the sweet side incorporated into sweet potato pancakes! So freakin good!!

We love them!

• stepea83
    stepea83 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i make piri piri spiced chips with them, using the nandos rubs.

Going to try baking them and adding cinnemon an honey to try curb my sweet tooth.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Alright this is going to sound weird. And it is. But hear me out.

Bake in the oven (or microwave for 7 minutes if you are short on time).
    Split it open.
    Sprinkle with Cinnamon.
    Add several spoonfuls of cottage cheese (in your chosen fat %).
    Sprinkle with more Cinnamon.
    Enjoy.

It is seriously delicious, and I don't like cottage cheese on its own. I use 1%. The whole dish is low cal and quite filling. I use incredible amounts of cinnamon.

Seriously, try this, it will change your life.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    In a smoothie:
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/sweet-potato-coconut-smoothie
    1 (8- to 10-ounce) sweet potato
    1 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage
    1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
    2 tablespoons flaxseed meal or hemp seeds
    2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1 1/2 cup ice cubes
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato hashbrowns is part of my go-to breakfast! :smile: Today, I had some with two strips of bacon and two eggs! I just wash the outside and cut it up, no need to peel unless there's a bad part, toss in some onions, bell peppers, fresh garlic, black pepper, fresh parsley maybe some tomatoes and a tsp of coconut oil to cook it in and that's all I need. Take a look at my diary for today and there it is.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Coated with black pepper and garlic and roasted or grilled; sautéed with onion in olive oil seasoned with a little salt and pepper; stewed with venison or pork.

Add any type of sweetener and you've ruined them IMO.
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a good side dish recipe with sweet potatoes. Slice them thin and coat them with a little olive oil. Lots of spices--brown sugar, cayenne pepper, smoky paprika, and just a dash of red pepper. Pack them tight in a tiny casserole dish, and cook in the oven for about 40 minutes, covered. You get this delicious mix of sweet and spicy. I also chop them up and roast them with red potatoes, onions, and turnips, coated in garlic salt, basil, and pepper, and they turn out yummy. Sweet potatoes are awesome.
  • Slateofamuse
    Slateofamuse Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like adding caujun spice or hot sauce to a baked sweet potato and topping with tzatziki are blue cheese yogurt dressing, also the classic butter and cinnamon
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    throw them in the garbage
  • jsh833
    jsh833 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Baked in the oven plain is a great side dish! I was pleasantly surprised that the natural sweetness was enough and I didn't need to add anything.

I also like to cube them and use them in a hash with onion, zucchini, peppers, and of course bacon. Add a poached egg and it's delicious any time of day.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    sweet potato burger. Have not tried this yet just saw yesterday but looks amazing

http://ohsheglows.com/2013/10/28/thai-sweet-potato-veggie-burgers-with-spicy-peanut-sauce/
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    We love an old Jacques Pepin recipe - it's a little fussy, but so good. Peel sweet potatoes and slice into thick (1") planks. Boil in salted water until just tender. Place in a skillet with hot oil (single layer), salt & pepper, and let them get slightly blackened and speckled, then flip. To serve, melt equal parts honey & butter in a small saucepan until syrupy, and drizzle generously over sweet potatoes.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I add a thin coat of olive oil and sea salt, wrap them in foil and throw on the grill until they're soft. Pop em in the fridge and eat one every night cold with cinnamon and salt. Yummy!
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I usually toss them with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and other random yummy spices (garlic plus, lemon pepper, etc) and just bake them in the oven.

SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOD
  • DaphneSW
    Options
    We love love love sweet potatoes!

We have two favorite ways that we eat regularly!
    Chopped and roasted with olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper and then topped with fresh Parmesan when done

Or on the sweet side incorporated into sweet potato pancakes! So freakin good!!

We love them!

Sweet potato pancakes??!?!?! Time to google recipes :)
  • DaphneSW
    Options
    drachfit wrote: »
    Alright this is going to sound weird. And it is. But hear me out.

Bake in the oven (or microwave for 7 minutes if you are short on time).
    Split it open.
    Sprinkle with Cinnamon.
    Add several spoonfuls of cottage cheese (in your chosen fat %).
    Sprinkle with more Cinnamon.
    Enjoy.

It is seriously delicious, and I don't like cottage cheese on its own. I use 1%. The whole dish is low cal and quite filling. I use incredible amounts of cinnamon.

Seriously, try this, it will change your life.

Okay I have just added this to my bucket list!!