Need help with breakfast that fulfilling and low calories like under 200

Options

Replies

• MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Can you do a non-traditional breakfast like some deli meat on a low carb wrap with veggies? Maybe a black or pinto bean bowl with sautéed veggies?

I am not a huge breakfast person, so my go to is yogurt and a banana. I also made egg cups in a muffin tin with lots of veggies and a little bacon. Those are reasonable for calories, too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    egg whites, broccoli or some peppers, a slice of laughing cow cheese and hot sauce.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Agree that your calories sound a bit too low for your stats. Just keep in mind that you might be able to stick to that goal short term but it's likely that if you keep going you're going to end up getting hungry (with potentially other issues that come with long-term under eating). Keep in mind that trainers aren't generally certified in nutrition and while they have some basic training in my experience they don't always give the best advice in that area.

Now that I've got that out of the way. My advice is to broaden your mindset in relation to breakfast. You really shouldn't view it as different to any other meal and by that I mean that don't have to limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods. Just eat foods that you like.

200 calories is not a lot to fill you up so I wouldn't really expect to stay feeling full for a long time on anything that's 200 cals but your best bet is to focus on lean protein, veggies with a little healthy fat. My rule of thumb is that for something to qualify as a meal it needs to have protein, carbs and fat in good balance. I also like to include vegetables with every meal for satiety and bang for your buck in terms of nutrients and volume.
  • brightestsmile83
    brightestsmile83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    Agree that your calories sound a bit too low for your stats. Just keep in mind that you might be able to stick to that goal short term but it's likely that if you keep going you're going to end up getting hungry (with potentially other issues that come with long-term under eating). Keep in mind that trainers aren't generally certified in nutrition and while they have some basic training in my experience they don't always give the best advice in that area.

Now that I've got that out of the way. My advice is to broaden your mindset in relation to breakfast. You really shouldn't view it as different to any other meal and by that I mean that don't have to limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods. Just eat foods that you like.

200 calories is not a lot to fill you up so I wouldn't really expect to stay feeling full for a long time on anything that's 200 cals but your best bet is to focus on lean protein, veggies with a little healthy fat. My rule of thumb is that for something to qualify as a meal it needs to have protein, carbs and fat in good balance. I also like to include vegetables with every meal for satiety and bang for your buck in terms of nutrients and volume.

Thanks! Soon i will be food shopping and I will more research and look for more options and create more options for breakfast.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    At 298 you could eat more and lose. I wouldn't want to give up more calories than needed.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I used to eat egg beaters for breakfast every day--I'm kind of burned out on them right now. 184g egg beaters, 14g mild cheddar cheese, 56g John Morrell Diced Ham = 225 cal, 7 carb, 7 fat, 35 protein.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    PLEASE stop listening to your trainer. Trainers are not dietitians.

And remember that you're supposed to eat back exercise calories too. If you're not, that's a deficit way too big for your size, and it's not going to be healthy, and even less sustainable.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I eat egg white omelettes with shredded cheese and salsa on toast for right around 200 calories. I also eat Evol breakfast scrambles for around that. Half cup of Greek yogurt (90 cal) & 1/4 cup of Bear Naked granola (~120 calories), since I eat 2000 calories per day, I can add a serving of fruit to any of that.

Having suggested all of that, is your trainer also a nutritionist? Mine would never try to tell me how to eat and, bless Josh for helping get started and the occasional advice he gives me now, I wouldn't listen if he did. I have medical issues he's not prepared to deal with in my diet.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Protein and fat will tend to make most people feel full longer. I find oatmeal, cereal, and the like, don't stay with me and I am hungry soon after eating them. Eggs, turkey bacon, with some fruit on the side might help you stay full longer. In some ways, though, it is a really personal thing. Find what works for you.

Sort of off topic, why are you on 1200 calories a day? Is that from this site, your trainer, or just you entering it?

My trainer put that in my MPF app.

I think your trainer is wrong. If you are indeed over 200 pounds, you can lose on 2000. I am 163, heading for 155 and losing .5-1 piund/week eating 2000. I don't eat back any of my exercise calories, but I am rarely hungry.

Edit to add: At 8 pounds from maintenance, I am.aiming for what will work for my lifetime. 2000 plus half of my exercise should let me maintain comfortably.
  • reginaminer
    reginaminer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I typically have two eggs and half an avocado for breakfast. The avocado is very filling if you're trying to last until lunch. Alternate is a slice of wheat toast with peanut butter and a greek yogurt.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Hello, I need help with my calorie intake for breakfast part, I like to have a good decent breakfast that keep me full for the most the morning before lunch time I work 7.5 to 14 hour shifts. My trainer told me my breakfast is to high in calories... problem is I'm not big fan of oatmeal... especially if I can't have my brownsugar and butter in it... so please help... I eat eggs. Any other ideas.

I think under 200 calories will not keep you full for long if you are used to 700 calories. I eat 200-300 calories for breakfast and make it about 4 hours on that. You can eat a bigger breakfast and a smaller lunch or dinner if that works better for you.
    You want to eat in a way you can sustain long term.

I would concentrate on protein, fat and fiber to feel full.
    a bunch of vegetables with one egg
    beans or lentils- wrap, soup
    Tuna or chicken added to a salad
    one banana and some peanut butter
    1/2 c Greek yogurt

I don't think your trainer is giving you healthy, sustainable dietary advice. You can lose weight eating more.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    PLEASE stop listening to your trainer. Trainers are not dietitians.

And remember that you're supposed to eat back exercise calories too. If you're not, that's a deficit way too big for your size, and it's not going to be healthy, and even less sustainable.

This...so this. I love my breakfast, and it keeps me full for hours. Depending on the size of the banana and the amount of fresh berries, it usually runs about 320-360 calories. I fit my other meals around this:
    3/4 cup plain nonfat yogurt (170 g)
    3/4 cup Nature's Path Flax Plus cereal (30 g)
    1 small banana
    Hand full of blackberries
    Hand full of raspberries

You have protein, fiber, and healthy carbs. My nutritionist loves this breakfast. By the way, if you eat back all your exercise calories, you are probably not eating at a deficit. Exercise calories are inflated for the most part. Eat back a quarter of them if you need to, but don't overdo it.

• zakharovich
    zakharovich Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly suggesting a solid food but this works just fine. Finger millet flour(mixed with a little bit of water which will reduce lumps) boiled with milk(skimmed milk preferably). This keeps me full for a long time. Good luck :)
  • sal52green
    sal52green Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try 25g oatmeal with 2 oz apple juice and 3 oz water. It takes about 5 mins in the microwave.
    If you use butter, substitute with a sprinkle of Butter Buds instead. Top with 50g blueberries or raspberries. I've used this (own) recipe since 2005 - it's more like a dessert than a breakfast dish. Delicious.
  • JoAnn132010
    JoAnn132010 Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I love Multi-Grain Cheerios (1 cup) with Unsweetened Almond Milk ( 1 cup). The Cheerios are high in Vitamins especially Iron and are only 110 calories per cup, and the Unsweetened Almond Milk is a good source of Protein and Calcium with only 30 calories per cup. It keeps me full for HOURS and only totals 140 calories with tons of nutritional benefits!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat will tend to make most people feel full longer. I find oatmeal, cereal, and the like, don't stay with me and I am hungry soon after eating them. Eggs, turkey bacon, with some fruit on the side might help you stay full longer. In some ways, though, it is a really personal thing. Find what works for you.

Sort of off topic, why are you on 1200 calories a day? Is that from this site, your trainer, or just you entering it?

My trainer put that in my MPF app.

Full stop. Your trainer is a *kitten* moron. You can let him/her know I said that. He/She may be good with the exercise portion, but clearly has no clue about nutrition. None.

Simple answer(s) - go back and have MFP set your Calorie goal. Eat however big/small/whatever a breakfast you're comfortable with that allows you to be satisfied until lunch/dinner/snack/whatever so that you can meet your daily Caloric goals. There are some details to be added, but don't worry about those just yet.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yogurt "Parfait."

Dannon - Light N Fit, 5.3 oz 80 / Greek yogurt would give you more protein (but more calories)
    Fiber One - Fiber One Bran Cereal, 1/4 cup 30 / Kashi Go Lean would give you more protein (but more calories)
    Generic - Slivered Toasted Almonds, 1 TBSP 40
    Private Selection - Raspberries - Frozen, 0.25 cup 23

Total 173 Calories/ 8 gm protein / 9 fiber / 5 fat

Let your trainer know ......1200 is a DEFAULT minimum (before exercise). You can definitely eat more.
  • PamelaW41
    PamelaW41 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 cup egg whites (fried with butter flavored Pam), 1 turkey sausage patty (I buy the pre cooked Walmart brand), 1 slice of Sara Lee 45 calorie multi grain toast, 1 tablespoon sugar free jam. 195 calories, 22 grams of protein, 10 grams carbs, 2 grams dietary fiber.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    On weekends I usually have eggs and bacon. Or I make small blueberry pancakes with peanut butter on them. But I don't have time cook during week so I just have half a whole wheat bagel with cream cheese and a light banana creme pie yogurt.
  • Andropolice
    Andropolice Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would make make scrambled egg whites. You can get a huge amount of volume if you cook around 10 egg whites and it's only around 170 calories. Add spinach and any vegetables that you like while cooking it and then add a little ketchup or any topping you prefer when you're done :)