Built up the courage (after 8 months in the gym) to start STRONGLIFTS 5x5. Anyone else about to?

Options
Hi all. I joined the gym 8 months ago with the plan of starting stronglifts. Well, after a couple of false starts, mainly back and knee injuries whilst getting focused on running, I have decided to bite the bullet and start on March 1st. Just wondered if anyone was about to start the program who would like to be my MFP friend? Also I would appreciate any helpful tips, possible downfalls or general banter concerning the program. I am 5'6 1/2 currently 199lb having lost 38lb (and finding 8!) I am the fittest I have ever been even when I wasn't overweight/obese, (I being the operative word! ) I go to the gym Monday to Friday 630 - 8 am and also do 3 classes, (zumba x 2 for 1 hour and a 30 minute Hiit class). My goal weight isn't drastic, just 160 - 165 and then I may reasses, but I was previously happy at this weight. I love my food, hence all the exercise so I can eat more. According to my fitbit hr my tdee averages out around 3000 per day. I look forward to hearing your wise words. Thanks.

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just started stronglifts again today! And I have a fitbit HR as well :)
  • minamina27
    minamina27 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just accepted your friend request. Great start. Have you done the program previously?
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I started last Monday.
  • minamina27
    Options
    Hi there. How did you find your first week? Are you totally new to lifting or had any prior experience?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Don't worry if you can't add weight as quickly as suggested. I usually do at least two sessions of each workout before adding weight and have been progressing just fine. Oh, and do follow the advice of starting very light because even using my method you'll get to some pretty heavy weights very quickly- the idea is you want to really perfect your form while using lighter weight. That's my 2 cents.

And there's a Stronglifts 5x5 group here on MFP.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    minamina27 wrote: »
    Hi. I just accepted your friend request. Great start. Have you done the program previously?

I have and made real gains with it ☺
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    minamina27 wrote: »
    Hi there. How did you find your first week? Are you totally new to lifting or had any prior experience?

It's my second or third attempt at Stronglifts. I love the program. I only stopped training last time around because of an old injury that had flared up again.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Hi! My friend and I started stronglifts last month. We learned we are really, really, really beginners at this. We spent a few weeks just getting used to an empty 20lb pole! LOL
    We also missed some dates due to illness and travel.
    A few gym guys have been super welcoming & pointed out form stuff to us all along. We also learned about the All Pro progression where the weight just goes up by 10% every 4 or 5 weeks so I think we are transitioning over to that.
    But we really love free weights and are committed to getting heavy in the long run. We just don't want to bite off more than we can chew and injure ourselves.
    Best wishes! xoL
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just started last night. I did a beginner body weights session last week and found it just wasnt enough for me. So I kept hunting around and found stronglifts. I didnt start @20kg (about 15kg not sure how heavy my pole is) though! I was suprised at how taxing it was even then. It sounds so easy but I could tell my muscles got a good workout, fatigue def hit on teh last round and even afterwards while I was cooking dinner I could feel the fatigue. I probably wont progress as quickly as the program suggests either and will most likely go with doing each workout twice at the same weight before moving up. I am doing it at home but I still have quite a few plates I can put on before I max out my home gym set.

I started cause I dont want to lose any LBM if I can help it. I lost about 10kg of fat and kept the LBM roughly the same but have found that as I inch toward the overweight range its coming at the expense of LBM. I like that its not too long either so its easy enough to squeeze in. I prefer to run but thats not always possible as I have young kids that cant be left on their own.
  • ashleyylo
    ashleyylo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just started--one week completed so far! I'm really liking it, but will be trying to focus on my form a bit before I continue to add weight.

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Hi! My friend and I started stronglifts last month. We learned we are really, really, really beginners at this. We spent a few weeks just getting used to an empty 20lb pole! LOL
    We also missed some dates due to illness and travel.
    A few gym guys have been super welcoming & pointed out form stuff to us all along. We also learned about the All Pro progression where the weight just goes up by 10% every 4 or 5 weeks so I think we are transitioning over to that.
    But we really love free weights and are committed to getting heavy in the long run. We just don't want to bite off more than we can chew and injure ourselves.
    Best wishes! xoL

Tell more about the AllPro progression...8've injured my back doing StrongLifts and I think I am adding too much weight too soon.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I had a look at the All Pro just then. You do similar workout but 4 sets of 8 reps, then the next week 4 sets of 9 reps and so on until you do 4 sets of 12reps and then the following week you add 10% weight and go back to 8 reps and work you way through the cycle until you go up a weight.

The forum I looked at had arguments about how slow that progression is for a beginner vs making sure you were using proper form. I seem to recall strong lifts was a 4 week program so it kinda makes sense they expect you to have relatively quick progression in that 4 weeks. Then you would probably need to do something more along the lines of the Allpro program as gains would be harder to achieve.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Once you star maxing out stronglifts it will deload you 10% and have you work up again. If you fail 3 times on a load it will reduce weight and indicated to use 1.25 pound plates for progression after that. Also after a while it will reduce some exercises to 3x5 then 1x5 but by that point you might be lifting well out of the programs use as you are just pyramiding up from the warm ups into a heavy single lift.

Yeah here it is http://stronglifts.com/what-to-do-after-12-weeks-of-stronglifts-5x5/
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have just finished my second round of All Pro.

I opted for this rather than the standard 5x5 as it has the rep progression (8-12) rather than the weight. I just feel safer and more comfortable, when working on my own, knowing I can handle the weight I am at comfortably, rather than upping faster with lower reps.

I started with, and am still using, hand weights for everything but the squat and dead lift. ( 5'1, 62yo, 100lbs)

For the squat I use the padded body bar, weights into the 20-30lbs range, I find this is a good emulation of the form needed when progressing to a bar. My gym only has 45lbs Oly bars which are way too heavy right now.
    So envious of the 20lbs you have @scolaris.

For the dead lift I do use the 45lbs bar with 2x10lbs added (2/3 my body weight). I have to find crates to balance it on for the correct starting height, or start low from the floor.

For anyone starting from scratch, it is best to start really low and get your form correct first. The exception is the DL. One can get a better feel for the form needed with a weight that is challenging. I started at half my bodyweight and found that good.

Hope this helps anyone considering it.

There is a static AllPro group on MFP that is worth the read.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/12707-all-pros-beginner-intermediate-lifting-routines

Cheers, h.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • minamina27
    Options
    Hi. How long does each session take approximately including warm up?
  • lowerhogan
    lowerhogan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Am on my 4th session of this. Snagged my calf doing other training but going to keep benching. I have noticed the biggest change in my body from the 4 sessions than any amount of cardio i've done so im going to stick with it.

Can someone link me the Stronglifts Group on MFP?

@minamina27 my sessions can take about 40 minutes but that can include a warm up etc