How can I learn to like exercise

Options
I've tried *everything* jogging, aerobics, yoga, gym - I just can't get in to it. I simply don't like exercising - I do ride a bike most places, but it's hardly strenuous. How did you guys get in to it ? It just doesn't make me feel that much better :(

Replies

• pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    what about just going for a decent sized walk a day? i try to fit a 3-5 mile walk in sometime during the day which takes around 1h 30? (decent pace) you burn cals just by moving about :) I hated exercise, but once you see the lbs dropping and your body changing - it motivates you.
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't like to exercise either, so I have decided to start out with walking. Once the weather gets warmer, I hope to work my way up to swimming, jumping on the trampoline and roller blading. I believe the thing about exercise is finding something you enjoy doing. I don't believe you necessarily have to go to the gym and work out. It's about getting your body moving and your heart rate up. Last night, I actually ran a bit during my walk. I haven't done that in years. I didn't have energy to run before.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    For me I don't really view it as exercise. Before I started enjoying the actual running/lifting it was mostly just a chance for me to either get out of the office and have a break from the normal work stress or it was a chance for me to get a bit of me time at home.

I have a small daughter and she is pretty much my shadow from the moment she wakes up until she goes to bed on a weekend.

After a while I just started enjoying the actual sports, so it's even more of a win/win. The main thing is sticking with it.
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Wow this is the friendliest forum ever ! :)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    If you are already biking places and you want to improve your cardio from where it is today then just bike a tiny bit faster and over time you'll see improvement. I don't see any point in "exercising" by doing cardio if you don't like it and already are getting sufficient moderate cardio anyways. Exercise doesn't have to be boring gym stuff or running down the street. You can play a sport or ride your bike and that is exercise too.

For me, I have goals, and whatever exercise I have to do to reach those goals is entertaining enough for me. I have some strength and look related goals that mean I have to lift heavy weights. It is exciting to hit new PRs and get closer to my goals. I have some endurance related goals (driven by wanting to be better at Ultimate), and therefore I do occasionally work towards those, however I don't particularly love running.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    What physical activity do you enjoy doing the most? Dancing? Swimming? Martial Arts? Rock climbing?
    Exercise doesn't have to be lifting weights or cardio basics. It's more about overall movement and something physical you can do for most of your life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• stmokomoko
    stmokomoko Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it over a couple months now, lost a decent chunk of fat, but I still hate it. I hate the sweat, the breathlessness, and the feeling that my body is stressed.

I treat it like something that needs to be done, like going to work and paying the bills :D . I just have to do it.
  • courtneyphillips718
    Options
    what about just going for a decent sized walk a day? i try to fit a 3-5 mile walk in sometime during the day which takes around 1h 30? (decent pace) you burn cals just by moving about :) I hated exercise, but once you see the lbs dropping and your body changing - it motivates you.

I agree with this 100%. Ive always hated working out too and never felt better afterwards but I've started lifting a little and euther going on a elliptical or doing a brisk walk on a treadmill and it's been 2 weeks and I'm seeing a difference so now I'm totally motivated to continue going! I think what I always needed was consistency and results and now that I'm getting both of those I feel so much better about working out!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it but now I love it. And I really mean that!

The main change I have made is keeping my exercise goals separate from my weight loss goals. I don't exercise because I want to change my body (although that is happening), I exercise to meet my goals. My first goal was to run 3K non-stop, then 5K. Then I started lifting weights and now my goals are things like deadlifting 100kg and doing an unassisted pull up. I have a program I follow 3 times a week. I don't miss training sessions because I want to keep getting stronger so I can meet these goals. I write down what I manage each time and it is really motivating to see the numbers go up. I can do things now that seemed impossible 6 months ago. I also tap dance and this is similar because the focus is on becoming a more skillful dancer rather than burning calories.

Is there something physical you see others do that you would love to be able to do?

I totally get where you are coming from though, I used to feel the same way.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it super slow and easy and gradually building up. I was already an active person but could never get consistent about working out. I am also doing a very gradual 12 minute strength and flexibility program that adds difficulty in the teeniest, tiniest increments. VERY easy so it builds my confidence and I don't struggle to do any of the moves. I was SO excited after a few weeks in when I could do a knee push up and actually feel my core coming up WITH me! In a few more weeks, I'm going to be moving up to real pushups and I already know that by that time, I will be able to do it easily. A few days ago, I was walking with DH and decided to run up a ramp - I actually ran faster than him up that ramp without panting! (Normally he leaves me in the dust).

At least 50-60% of my workouts are simple walks though. I enjoy them :)

I have an elbow injury and once that finishes healing (hopefully in a few weeks), I'm going to start badminton, which I love. I also do long-distance road cycling and cannot wait for spring to get back into training. And summer for hiking, canoeing, tennis - so many things I love to do. And I know the small things I am doing at home is helping me build up my fitness level so I can be better at all the things I love.

Also, since I eat back all my exercise calories, it really motivates me to workout more so I get to eat more :) Especially when i have a big meal coming up!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    I've tried *everything* jogging, aerobics, yoga, gym - I just can't get in to it. I simply don't like exercising - I do ride a bike most places, but it's hardly strenuous. How did you guys get in to it ? It just doesn't make me feel that much better :(

Is there a sport that you like?

The reality is that you don't need to exercise for the sake of exercising, you just need to be active which can be riding your bike (you don't need to qualify for the Tour de France), walking, gardening etc

For me the process was almost accidental (other than the fact I was overweight & felt like crap all the time) while attending my son's soccer practice I saw some old-timers playing on the adjacent pitch. Some of them were clearly overweight and not in great shape & I thought....hey, if they can do it...... Long story short joining the old-timers soccer league lead to running (which I hated when I was younger) which lead to joining a triathlon club & racing & distance riding etc but the "secret" for me was considering it play rather than a "work"out. It sounds silly but the run has become its own reward, getting out first thing in the morning for a relaxed 5 or 6 mile run is something I look forward to.

• localgrr
    Options
    Thanks everyone ! Wow overwealmed with the response. I would say the main reason I would want to exercise is so I can eat what I like again >:)
    Hmm what exercise do I like ?? I like any aerobics where the instructor actually picks good music... zumba is fun. I do like walking and cycling.

My main problem with the gym is its such a big chunk out of my day - by the time ive got there and back, worked out and showered - it's just precious hours out of my busy life.

The truth is I doubt I can find any sport I like more than hanging out with my cat or drinking with my friends - sad but true !!!

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ! Wow overwealmed with the response. I would say the main reason I would want to exercise is so I can eat what I like again >:)
    Hmm what exercise do I like ?? I like any aerobics where the instructor actually picks good music... zumba is fun. I do like walking and cycling.

My main problem with the gym is its such a big chunk out of my day - by the time ive got there and back, worked out and showered - it's just precious hours out of my busy life.

The truth is I doubt I can find any sport I like more than hanging out with my cat or drinking with my friends - sad but true !!!

You mention the time commitment. How much time are you watching tv, on social media, video games, etc?
  • localgrr
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    You mention the time commitment. How much time are you watching tv, on social media, video games, etc?
    I do spend a lot of time on social media / Netflix :|

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I have participated in loads of sports over the course of my adult life (not so much as a kid as I was more nerd than jock.)

My experience is that most of them have a period of 3 months or so lead in time where they are a bit sucky. Body parts usually hurt in the weirdest of places, co-ordination is all over the shop, frustration is high.

Once you get some basic fitness and skills in place they get far more enjoyable. My advice is change your mindset and give it a bit of time. You can really grow to love things you used to hate.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Youtube workouts at home to avoid the gym time-suck. I do find this "being healthy" thing takes a chunk out of my evenings...about an hour+ to log my food and do my workouts. Not so much time for laying around on the couch.

That said, sometimes it does eat away at time for my family. So I added in lunchtime walks - I get 40-45 mins at lunch and push myself to walk unless it gets super cold. I am also very occasionally waking up a half hour early to go for a morning walk. I hate waking up early though so this has been harder. Still - I am trying to add this on as it will give me more time in the evenings with my family.

Overall, the kids are amused sitting on the couch watching Mom workout. I try to get them to work out with me but they think it's way more fun to watch me lol. My DD likes to correct my form (and it is surprisingly helpful lol). She is also a lot more coordinated than I am so if I am having trouble learning new moves, she helps me out - I can follow her steps easier than following the video.
  • localgrr
    Options
    Thanks guys, yeah changing my attitude is certainly required. I am thinking of starting up a girls soccer team (only crap people allowed!)
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I hated it until I got better at it. I was one of those people who thought I was going to hate all exercise forever and posted plenty to that effect around here, but once I really buckled down and pushed myself hard for a couple months, it turned out that most exercise is kind of fun for me now that I don't feel like I'm going to die the whole time.

I am still not a great fan of strength training generally, so I have a shortish 2x/week routine for that to get it out of the way (I just find weights monotonous and I hate all the setup, resting/waiting, etc., so I do a circuit of supersets to alleviate that a bit) but I've begun to really love running and now that I'm in good cardiovascular shape, stuff like hiking, aerobic-based classes, and sports are fun and easy because while they get my heart rate up and all that I'm not gasping for air and exhausted the entire time.

If you can't find anything you like and you've tried a lot of things, I'd just suggest pushing through it for a couple months and doing something, anything, regularly (every second day at least) to see if that changes your opinion. Not everyone is going to like the same things - there's a great vogue for lifting weights right now, for example, but it's not my scene - but I bet once you've started to get in shape and see results it'll be motivating and you'll want to continue.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    stmokomoko wrote: »
    I've been doing it over a couple months now, lost a decent chunk of fat, but I still hate it. I hate the sweat, the breathlessness, and the feeling that my body is stressed.

I treat it like something that needs to be done, like going to work and paying the bills :D . I just have to do it.

This is pretty much how I feel. Ideally if you keep trying new things and find something you love, or at least don't mind, that's great. But I've never really enjoyed exercise and I pretty much always dread it. But eventually I became hooked on how it made me feel, which is mostly to say that I don't feel good if I don't go. So it's a part of my day, just like going to work. Even though I dislike it, I'm happier going than not going.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys, yeah changing my attitude is certainly required. I am thinking of starting up a girls soccer team (only crap people allowed!)

open it up to all levels and that will provide an opportunity to learn a lot and have fun. The super competitive people will only show up if they are willing to be part of a team and not showboat otherwise they will get very frustrated. I play Ultimate with skill levels ranging from barely able to run, throw, and catch, to players that run marathons and can throw the full length of the field and can catch great.

EDIT: also, there probably already is a local league. Joining one is easier than starting one.