Long story short, 28 year old with 50 lbs to lose!

Options
NaomiC1013
NaomiC1013 Posts: 32 Member
edited February 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hi. I'm Nim. New to this forum. I have a bit of a strange story. And long. But I'll try to keep it brief for all our sakes.

Been steadily gaining weight for the last 10 years, since I got married, even though I've been "trying" to lose it for the last 5. I started CrossFit in August 2015 and it's the most fun I've ever had working out. I absolutely LOVE it. But, I've gained more weight. Now, I know that I'm gaining muscle, there's no doubt, but I'm certainly not losing the fat. And I'm now heavier than I've ever been. So I'm starting out at 171.5 pounds and I need your help! I need accountability! When I'm complaining about "I can't do it" or "I want pizza" or "this is too hard", I need someone to say "cut the crap and suck it up cupcake".

My eating habits are terrible. And I know that diet is 90% of weight loss. I do high intensity workouts for an hour a day, 5 days a week, yet my clothes are getting tighter and the number on the scale is getting bigger. The hubby says my butt is getting smaller but I don't think so, more shapely perhaps (thank-you, squats!) but not smaller.

My self control leaves a lot to be desired. For example: today, I had a twix and a whole bag of Cheetos (the large size), and this was after saying to myself when I woke up this morning, "right, no cheating today". Ha!! Yeah right!!

I'm on a journey of self love as well as weight loss and it's the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. I just don't like myself. Simple as that. I feel I'm not worthy of good health or even being good to myself. CrossFit has helped me come a long way and discover that I CAN do things I once thought I couldn't. It's given me more confidence, which is also severely lacking, but I still don't love myself or my body. And I self-sabotage by eating crap whenever I have the chance. I WANT to change, I WANT to love myself, I WANT to fuel my body so that I'll feel good, until I have a craving and that's it!!! I've found exercise I love, but food is my downfall. And that's the long and short of it.

I'm sorry if that wasn't as brief as I intended but I promise, that is the short story!! I will be so grateful of any advice or constructive criticism. And I'm willing to answer any questions. I'm a huge supporter of people that are also in the same boat as myself and wanting to make a change no matter how big or small. Together we can conquer the beast!!!

Replies

• NaomiC1013
    Options
    Would love to connect with people dealing with the same things.
  • NaomiC1013
    Options
    Btw, forgot to mention I'm 5'6.
  • NaomiC1013
    Options

weight.png

• NaomiC1013
    Options
    I've made my diary open to friends. Add me!!
  • Sam_the_Dark_Stallion
    Sam_the_Dark_Stallion Posts: 14 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Dear Naomi, you can lose weight when you change your eating habits and control your intake, but you will for sure gain weight if you only workout, I suggest to establish your new lifestyle eating habits and after 2 or 3 weeks start the cardio and stamina work out (whatever makes you sweet more)
  • jonathanbcase
    jonathanbcase Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nim, welcome and good luck as you start your journey. If it's any consolation, I'm 60 years old, started my efforts in March 2015, lost 100 pounds in less than one year, no gym membership, no fancy diets, just MyFitnessPal, a Fitbit Charge HR, music, handweights, and the occasional hotel elliptical/treadmill/Airdyne. It can be done, you CAN do it, and it's never too late.
  • punkyb07
    punkyb07 Posts: 43 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Welcome. I'm 28 as well and have lost about 63 pounds so far. I understand your struggle! You'll definitely have to watch what your eating to make sure that working out translates to weight loss. I had a period where I was working out but making terrible eating choices (hamburgers, fries, sweets) and it showed on the scale as weight gain. Weight loss really is 80% healthy eating choices and 20% fitness (or at least that's how I remember the idiom).
  • rendel22
    rendel22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Naomi! I just added you, but I feel your pain and know exactly what you are talking about. I am a mom to 3 and so my love and attention is focused on them and I get whatever is left over. Which isn't much by the end of my long exhaustive day. But this time around, I am going to be a bit selfish and focus on me. And learn to love myself, even though I don't like what I see in the mirror. I know its something I can change. I just need to take it day by day. And give it all I got. Its not going to happen overnight and it sounds like you got the workout thing all figured out. Now you just gotta train yourself to eat better. I stopped buying snacks that I knew everyone loved. Instead I bought "healthier" snacks and filled my fridge and pantry with healthier options. Things like this, helps tremendously. Well I hope your journey gets easier. I'll be here cheering you on!
  • NaomiC1013
    Options
    Dear Naomi, you can lose weight when you change your eating habits and control your intake, but you will for sure gain weight if you only workout, I suggest to establish your new lifestyle eating habits and after 2 or 3 weeks start the cardio and stamina work out (whatever makes you sweet more)

Thanks!! I'm really focusing on my eating habits now. My CrossFit classes are a combination of strength training, oly weight lifting etc, then a cardio workout that combines strength and stamina. I love it.
  • NaomiC1013
    Options
    Nim, welcome and good luck as you start your journey. If it's any consolation, I'm 60 years old, started my efforts in March 2015, lost 100 pounds in less than one year, no gym membership, no fancy diets, just MyFitnessPal, a Fitbit Charge HR, music, handweights, and the occasional hotel elliptical/treadmill/Airdyne. It can be done, you CAN do it, and it's never too late.

Thank you so much!! And I am so impressed! Well done you!!
  • NaomiC1013
    Options
    punkyb07 wrote: »
    Welcome. I'm 28 as well and have lost about 63 pounds so far. I understand your struggle! You'll definitely have to watch what your eating to make sure that working out translates to weight loss. I had a period where I was working out but making terrible eating choices (hamburgers, fries, sweets) and it showed on the scale as weight gain. Weight loss really is 80% healthy eating choices and 20% fitness (or at least that's how I remember the idiom).

You sound exactly like me! But yeah, like you said, I've learned "you can't outrun your fork" and "abs are made in the kitchen". So no matter how much I work out, I'll never look the way I want to look if I don't clean up my eating habits! I really want to focus on that, starting now. Well done for losing 68 pounds.
  • jady333
    jady333 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just started logging my meals last Friday. It's really helped me to stop binging. Also, I prepped all my meals for the week on Sunday night so if I "grab and go" I know it's within my caloric limits. Good luck!
  • NaomiC1013
    Options
    rendel22 wrote: »
    Hi Naomi! I just added you, but I feel your pain and know exactly what you are talking about. I am a mom to 3 and so my love and attention is focused on them and I get whatever is left over. Which isn't much by the end of my long exhaustive day. But this time around, I am going to be a bit selfish and focus on me. And learn to love myself, even though I don't like what I see in the mirror. I know its something I can change. I just need to take it day by day. And give it all I got. Its not going to happen overnight and it sounds like you got the workout thing all figured out. Now you just gotta train yourself to eat better. I stopped buying snacks that I knew everyone loved. Instead I bought "healthier" snacks and filled my fridge and pantry with healthier options. Things like this, helps tremendously. Well I hope your journey gets easier. I'll be here cheering you on!

Wow! 3 kids!! How do you do it? Yeah you're so right about not buying the stuff everyone (me
  • summers09jo
    summers09jo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello :) I'm 33 from the uk and have 50lbs to lose also!! Just the thought is enough to make you cry lol but we can do it :) feel free to add me a friend can help each other out tips and advise and general chat to keep us focused would be fab :) good luck all
  • NaomiC1013
    Options
    jady333 wrote: »
    I just started logging my meals last Friday. It's really helped me to stop binging. Also, I prepped all my meals for the week on Sunday night so if I "grab and go" I know it's within my caloric limits. Good luck!

Well done! Yeah I'm hoping the logging will stop me from binging too. Especially because I made my diary open to people who add me, so I'm held accountable. Wow, you're so good for meal prepping. I'm definitely a "moody" eater so I'm afraid that even if I do take the time on the weekends to prep, that I just won't be in the mood for whatever it is that I've prepped. I'll just have to make something super yummy. What did you make for this week? And thank you! Just saw that you added me!
  • bridgetsuzanne7
    bridgetsuzanne7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Nim,

I have 50lbs to lose as well, so I'm right there with you. Although, I'm 5'9" and weigh a bit more. We got this! The logging has definitely helped me with binging-- I'm a foodie, so I feel your pain. We seem to have a lot in common in this aspect. Feel free to add me as a friend to keep each other motivated! Best of luck.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily agree that diet is 90% of weight loss, you can still eat, be full, and enjoy what you eat and succeed. The difference is in your choices. I still eat pizza from time to time, and ice cream, and chocolate, etc. I simply choose different types of those foods, exercise more on days I know I will be eating them, or make up for it the next day. I figure if I can't ever eat that kind of stuff again, then long term success is not going to happen. So I have trained myself to eat more protein (which isn't so bad) less carbs when possible (also not so bad), and healthier fats (again, not so bad) and stay within my goals by logging everything. When I want those foods that are generally thought of as taboo I make smarter choices when ordering/buying or making them. I eat no sugar added ice cream (readily available pretty much everywhere), and I also make my own 'skinny' versions of pizza, pasta, etc. by substituting healthier ingredients or ordering off special menus. I log it all, and when I know I'm going to be going out to eat I work hard that day and the day after to make up for it. Feel free to add me if I can be of any assistance.
  • NaomiC1013
    Options
    Hello :) I'm 33 from the uk and have 50lbs to lose also!! Just the thought is enough to make you cry lol but we can do it :) feel free to add me a friend can help each other out tips and advise and general chat to keep us focused would be fab :) good luck all

Hi! Nice to meet you! And yes, I agree! I'll be sure to add u. Thank you for your encouragement! (Btw, what part of the U.K. are u in? I'm from Ireland but my parents are originally from the uk and most of my family still live there. In the midlands. I've lived in the US for the past 10 years now tho. Going back to Ireland visit my family in two weeks!)
  • NaomiC1013
    Options
    Hi Nim,

I have 50lbs to lose as well, so I'm right there with you. Although, I'm 5'9" and weigh a bit more. We got this! The logging has definitely helped me with binging-- I'm a foodie, so I feel your pain. We seem to have a lot in common in this aspect. Feel free to add me as a friend to keep each other motivated! Best of luck.

I'd love to add you! Yes, it sounds as though we're in the same boat. I love food soooo much! We so got this!!
  • NaomiC1013
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily agree that diet is 90% of weight loss, you can still eat, be full, and enjoy what you eat and succeed. The difference is in your choices. I still eat pizza from time to time, and ice cream, and chocolate, etc. I simply choose different types of those foods, exercise more on days I know I will be eating them, or make up for it the next day. I figure if I can't ever eat that kind of stuff again, then long term success is not going to happen. So I have trained myself to eat more protein (which isn't so bad) less carbs when possible (also not so bad), and healthier fats (again, not so bad) and stay within my goals by logging everything. When I want those foods that are generally thought of as taboo I make smarter choices when ordering/buying or making them. I eat no sugar added ice cream (readily available pretty much everywhere), and I also make my own 'skinny' versions of pizza, pasta, etc. by substituting healthier ingredients or ordering off special menus. I log it all, and when I know I'm going to be going out to eat I work hard that day and the day after to make up for it. Feel free to add me if I can be of any assistance.

Thanks so much! Yeah that's how I feel. I'm DEFINITELY not a starve yourself type of person. I love food way too much. When I said "diet is 90%", I meant more like your lifestyle. What you do 90% of the time when you're not in the gym is going to be what shapes you. Pun intended :wink: I think if I can stay consistent with logging it will force me to make healthier choices and hopefully get rid of my bad habits. For the most part, I eat quite well, but then there's those binge days where I just don't care anymore. And then there's the wine. Which I drink most days. Should probably cut back on that...