Life after hysterectomy

Options
Has anyone had personal experience with achieving their ideal fitness levels after a hysterectomy? I'm 5 weeks post-op and weight gain seems to come up alot during this topic. Looking for support, encouragement or a friend, add me.

Replies

• babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain any weight, until, I went into full blown menopause. I have only gained 10lbs but it's still a gain.
    Had my total abdominal hysterectomy on April 7th 15. Best thing that ever happened to me. They found ovarian cancer.

Please do me a favor, do not do anything with out your doctors concent. Make sure you are fully healed and ready to even diet.
    You have one chance to heal properly.
    I wish you good luck on your healing!
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm past menopause. It's still possible to lose weight, absolutely, even on a calorie limit that leaves you full and satisfied (once your stomach shrinks up a bit, which happens quickly). Of course take it easy on your incision if this is recent, but don't feel you're up against an impossibility, because you're certainly not! No matter what's going on with your body and your metabolism, there's always a level of food and exercise that will result in weight loss. It's never a stacked deck.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy at 35 and that is really when I was able to finally kick it into gear. I was severely anemic and had no energy. I would go to work and come right home and sleep. Every night for over a year. I have since lost almost 80 pounds.
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I gained 34lbs in the two years before my hysterectomy due to becoming very sedentary (severe anemia, brain fog, mild depression, a lot of physical discomfort, not adjusting how much I ate to compensate for lack of activity). Made no attempt to lose it for more than a year and a half post-hysterectomy, then decided it was time to get on with it and lost the 34lbs in around 6 months at age 43 (moderate exercise and eating plenty).
  • MTgal477
    MTgal477 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I had a full hysterectomy 4 years ago at the age of 28. I didn't find that the procedure affected my weight, even though I wasn't suppose to move for basically a week, and then LIGHT activity for about 4 weeks. I just watched what I ate and got plenty of fluids. I attribute my weight gain from not getting enough exercise over the years and eating waaaay too much! I'm doing good now though :smiley: feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • jenlaw71
    jenlaw71 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I so needed to find this thread!! I go in for my hysterectomy March 30. The current surgical plan is to take my uterus, right ovary(with cyst) and tube, left tube and leave ovary (if dr can remove cyst).

I'm really working as hard as possible to lose some weight and improve health/fitness before I end up on bed rest for anywhere from 2-8 weeks.

Glad to read that weight loss will be possible :smiley:
    (feel free to add me - ultimate goal is to lose 50+ pounds - need all the support/encouragement I can get)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I had one about 5 years ago, ovaries and all. I hate it, but not because of my weight, which is lower than ever. My brain has never been quite the same, even with replacement hormones. On the other hand, I can cough without stabbing abdominal pain, and ovarian cancer is one thing I probably don't need to worry about.

Your recovery has a lot to do with how the surgery is done. I had it done laparoscopically, and was up walking around the hospital 6 hours after the surgery. I wasn't allowed to drive for a while, or lift weight, but there were no restrictions on my cardio exercise at all.
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm 11 days post op from a laproscopic hysterectomy (uterus and tubes removed). I've been wondering how people are doing as well, meeting their goals etc. I've seen the weight gain posts come up too. I think alot has to do with hormones... if you keep the ovaries or not and move into insta-menopause.
    For me, I'm feeling great. I want to do more, but know I'm still healing, so trying to take it easy and eat well. I was very active before, but I was also anemic, exhausted, constantly bloated and slow to heal. I'm hopeful that without that drain on my body anymore, once I'm cleared to get back to normal activity I'll be in a much better place!

Feel free to add me! :)
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I appreciate this thread. I have endometriosis and have been told I should have a hysterectomy. Thus far, I've refused. My pain is manageable and I'm still having "normal" periods. I don't really see the need, yet, and I'm extremely fearful of what my life will be like and what other challenges I'll face. Thanks for posting your stories.
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy 5 years ago for cervical carcinoma (ovaries remained intact). Six weeks ago I had the ovaries removed including large cysts (a 12.9cm cyst had adhered to my abdominal wall) and started HRT. Although I have not lost a lot of pounds, I have not gained any. I have never been in better shape in my life. I am stronger, more active and feel so much better.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I had an abdominal hysterectomy with bisingual oopherectomy at the age of 23, 6 years ago. I had no issues getting fit and into a groove with my goals until I popped up with thyroid cancer 3 years later which screwed me badly. But I was able to lose weight and get fit. Between the hysterectomy and the thyroid removal I was able to complete a half marathon and a tough mudder. I happened to have my hysterectomy 6 weeks after I gave birth so I was also able to lose the baby weight and keep it off for about two years.
  • CravenBrittney
    CravenBrittney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I needed to find this thread! I am 31 (2 kids) and scheduled to have my hysterectomy March 29th. I am 100% terrified of gaining weight, as EVERYONE keeps telling me I will. I am not overweight at this point in life, but I have horrible self esteem and I know I will spiral into depression if I start gaining weight. :( Which is why I started my journey again on here!! :)
  • 1976whitemgb
    1976whitemgb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Following this for future reference. I'm scheduled for a total abdominal sometime in late summer/early fall. My ultrasound showed many fibroids, the largest of which is the size of a Ping-Pong ball. My gyno estimated that my uterus is the size of a baby's head! (explains a lot...) I'm also a breast cancer survivor and she doesn't want to leave anything to chance.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The symptoms of menopause are different for everyone. For some of us, they're quite mild, so don't borrow trouble! Wait and see how it works for you. And no matter what the symptoms are like, you still can't gain weight if you put a limit on the number of calories you eat every day. All kinds of conditions may affect how low or high that calorie target has to be, but if your scale starts to move up, you can always adjust the calories downward. It's not some kind of monster that will take over your body and make it fat no matter what you do! You have control.