losing weight and gaining muscle at the same time

Options
well a just 4 pounds this week but noticed that i,m gaining muscle on arms esp well can you both lose weight and gain muscle at the same time

Replies

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Under a strict exercise and nutrition regime it is possible, but it doesn't happen in a week and you generally have to be eating around maintenance. It's more likely that you lost some of the fat that was covering your muscles making them look more defined, or like you are gaining muscle, when you're just revealing what was underneath.
  • hamiltonjoshua642
    hamiltonjoshua642 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    okay because i,m doing the shakeweight and starting to lift weights and not eating sweets as much and not drinking pop either.and eat more protein as well
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    well a just 4 pounds this week but noticed that i,m gaining muscle on arms esp well can you both lose weight and gain muscle at the same time

Technically: Yes.
    Likely: No.
    Nikki10129 wrote: »
    Under a strict exercise and nutrition regime it is possible, but it doesn't happen in a week and you generally have to be eating around maintenance. It's more likely that you lost some of the fat that was covering your muscles making them look more defined, or like you are gaining muscle, when you're just revealing what was underneath.

^this
  • dstromley90
    dstromley90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    okay because i,m doing the shakeweight and starting to lift weights and not eating sweets as much and not drinking pop either.and eat more protein as well

Shakeweight? Youcant be serious.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Usually when you lose weight you lose both fat and muscle (also called cutting) and when you gain weight you gain both fat and muscle (called bulking when part of a strength training program). Although it is theoretically possible to both lose fat and gain muscle at once your training program and nutrition would have to be precisely calibrated so it is highly unlikely that that is your case.

If you are interested in strength training I would recommend reading The New Rules of LIfting for Women or STRONG - both books are by Lou Schuler and Alwayn Cosgrove. There is a wealth of information for women who want to lift in those. I am not sure what shakeweights are but from what I googled they seem pretty flimsy. If you want to develop nice muscle you need to lift something that is actually heavy.

Good luck!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Shakeweight? Youcant be serious.

(Dude - no need to shame people.)

To the original poster - I'm afraid shakeweight is a bit of a sham, if you want a real intensive workout. Here is a post from webMD: http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shake-weight-review?page=2

"The company claims that the Shake Weight for women will result in lean muscle, which implies fat loss, while it claims that men will experience an increase in muscle mass. However, the workout program of only 6 minutes is not enough exercise to actually burn a significant amount of fat, nor is there enough weight to increase muscle mass.

In addition, the Dynamic Inertia concept may sound unique and complex, but it is neither. “Dynamic” and “inertia” are two terms used to describe movement. Based on this concept, all forms of resistance training involve dynamic inertia.

As a matter of fact, ****you will get a greater amount of movement with traditional weight training, in which you can target your muscles through a full range of motion. The shaking motion of the device is unnatural and may cause muscle spasms that could lead to injury.****

The company also claims that the Shake Weight has been validated by a well-documented scientific study from a prestigious university. However, the actual study is not published in any peer-reviewed scientific journal. A reference to the study cannot be found on the Shake Weight web site, in any advertisement, or with the product package. An attempt to search for the specific study online also yielded no results."

I would get some real weights, and try some videos such as those at fitness blender (youtube, free, great workouts) or, if you can afford it, check out a local gym!

Best of luck on your journey, and KUDOS to you for making a change!
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Shakeweight is about as good as my 1lb wrist weights, and when I use them for my entire 45 minute step aerobic workout you can bet my arms are tired, and after a week and a half my muscles in my arms and shoulders are bigger. This is called a newbie gain. Notice the gain in there? Yes its a gain.

Believe me my leg muscles are bigger too.
    Now, by the end of week two my muscles will have adapted to the stepping and the waving so I know I'll see more fat loss with the cardio and less newbie gains. My weight went up a bit with water and recovery AND muscle gain, but I'm in the middle of week two and I'm retaining less water after the workout. Recovering faster. I have lost fat.

And the scale is starting its downward motion again. Once I'm happy with its downward trend I'll do some more, heavier upper body weights.

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Shakeweight is about as good as my 1lb wrist weights, and when I use them for my entire 45 minute step aerobic workout you can bet my arms are tired, and after a week and a half my muscles in my arms and shoulders are bigger. This is called a newbie gain. Notice the gain in there? Yes its a gain.

Believe me my leg muscles are bigger too.
    Now, by the end of week two my muscles will have adapted to the stepping and the waving so I know I'll see more fat loss with the cardio and less newbie gains. My weight went up a bit with water and recovery AND muscle gain, but I'm in the middle of week two and I'm retaining less water after the workout. Recovering faster. I have lost fat.

And the scale is starting its downward motion again. Once I'm happy with its downward trend I'll do some more, heavier upper body weights.

Larger visible muscles /= muscle mass gain.

A man intentionally bulking, eating at a surplus, and training HEAVY weights, preferably a man young enough to have good testosterone, can hope to AT MOST gain 1/2 lb in a month.

When you start using your muscles they puff up, mostly with water. As you lose fat, your muscles can also appear larger. Muscles retaining water /= muscle mass gain.

Getting stronger and being able to lift more /= muscle mass gain.