Can you take protein shakes on a calorie controlled diet or do they add weight?

Options
I was just wondering if you could have a protein shake say to curb snacking on a calorie controlled diet or would they build fat and muscle as in bodybuilding?

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The only way you're going to put on weight is if you ingest more calories than you burn. If that shake causes you go to over your calories, then you'll gain weight.

You will not automatically gain muscle though. In order to gain muscle, you have to be in a calorie surplus AND lift heavy.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Fat and muscle come from eating at a calorie surplus and in the case of muscle, lifting heavy weights with the goal of building muscle. You will not build muscle by accident, and as long as you fit the calories of the protein shake into your daily calorie goal you won't put on fat either since you goal here is at a calorie deficit.
  • angeljo2015
    angeljo2015 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    OK thanks are there any recommended ones?
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I don't have any recommendations. I use unflavored whey isolate powder and mix in other things to get the flavor and sweetness I want.

This morning I had a smoothy made of:
    250ml 2% Milk
    30 Grams of Unflavored Whey Isolate Protein
    6 grams or Cocoa Powder
    12 grams of Powdered Peanut Butter
    3 grams of Splenda
    5 ice cubes

Came out to about 322 calories. I could have lowered that significantly by using Almond Milk or water, but I wanted to fat from the milk to help it satisfy me longer.

I will often do similar things using frozen fruit with water for the liquid.
  • angeljo2015
    Options
    Sounds great
  • angeljo2015
    Options
    Do they help you curb hunger?
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Possibly. But best way to curb hunger is to have self control, which is what matters for weight control in the long run so develop it from the beginning.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

All most of them are is protein derived from milk. They're about as satiating as a glass of milk.
  • rileysowner
    Options

Depends on the person. I can have one in the morning and go for a long time 2-3pm before I get hungry again. Others, not so much. Food you have to chew will help as much. For example, eating some carrots, and can be much lower calorie.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

All most of them are is protein derived from milk. They're about as satiating as a glass of milk.

But much tastier.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Mine do, because they contain calories, fiber, and a mix of macros that keeps me full:

k3k626ruut43.jpg

I use green tea for the liquid.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

But much tastier.

Have to disagree as milk is my beverage of choice.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I don't have any recommendations. I use unflavored whey isolate powder and mix in other things to get the flavor and sweetness I want.

Don't suppose you'd mind sharing your brand? I am considering getting unflavored protein to add to a meal replacement drink I consume for lunch. I'm trying to find something that won't substantially change the flavor.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I use bobs red mill protein. They have soy, whey, hemp and vegetable varietys
  • SaraSteeves1993
    SaraSteeves1993 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use gold standard double chocolate flavour. I make a smoothie in the morning, spinach, 1 banana, skim milk and one scoop of powder. Its easier to have that at breakfast through the work week.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Don't suppose you'd mind sharing your brand? I am considering getting unflavored protein to add to a meal replacement drink I consume for lunch. I'm trying to find something that won't substantially change the flavor.

I use MLO Super high protein- it's soy based, but unflavored. The resulting taste is what ever I put in the shake. (Chocolate, pb2, fruit etc)
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I drink three a day lol two meal replacements which aren't actually being used as replacement.. And one that's straight protein.
    N53 Lean 1
    Musclepharm Combat Powder
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I find all the unflavored whey isolates taste the same to me. Mine is a bulk one with no name brand.
  • terooru
    terooru Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I take she supps (shipped from the UK) it's only 113 calories with 24g protein and 3g carbs. I have the banana flavor and it's super tasty. Every morning for breakfast I make a smoothie. 1 frozen banana, 1 serving of protein powder (3 scoops), 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1 cup light almond milk, 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup oats. It helps me with my sweet tooth and keeps my appetite down throughout the day. Check out SheSupps website. I take the 'lean protein powder'. Also, if you're actually hungry and it's not just your appetite maybe you should eat more or have a small snack like 1/2 an apple or 1/2 a protein bar. If you're going hungry you might not be eating enough!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I fit mine within my calorie allotment. Love 'em!