Remembering to log your food

Options
How does everyone go about their busy lives and still remember to log in their food and snacks? Im always forgetting to log everything

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    You have to commit to it. I don't open the packet until I've scanned the bar code. It takes seconds to do it. If I don't log, I don't eat!
  • karma8008
    karma8008 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea maybe I'll try that. If I don't log I don't eat. Cool thanks
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I pre-log everything. There's no point in logging it afterwards and finding it doesn't fit my day.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I write things down when I'm out so I don't forget things that I've eaten. When I'm in the kitchen making things I have a dry erase board. I mark everything down as I go and I only erase it as I log it into MFP.
  • karma8008
    Options
    I tried doing that a once and then got to work and realized I left in such a hurry I forgot my food -.- so that didn't count.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I also pre-log. It takes ~4-5 minutes at most to map out my eating day and then if any small adjustments are needed through the day (like I forgot my lunch haha ;) ) then I make those adjustments on the fly. In the instance of forgetting to bring your food/snacks, when you're standing in the order line, whip out your phone and log it before you even order.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I log it either as I'm making it, as I have the weights of everything right in front of me, or eating it
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I log what I am going to eat the next day when I get ready for bed. If I have to deviate from the pre-logging, I just fix it and don't freak out. I eat a lot of leftovers and very similar meals most days during the work week.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    I do a couple of things:
    - When I make recipes, I log everything in it as I make it. I'll usually scan the barcodes of each item. Most of my recipes tell you what the serving size is, so I make sure it matches to the recipe index.
    - I pre-plan my meals for the week so I already know what I am eating for each meal and log it accordingly.
    - I pre-pack my lunch at night and all my healthy snacks that way I know what I am going to be eating for the day when I am work. I am a bored eater, so I make sure to pack fruit, veggies, protein to snack on during the day.
    - If I'm out at a restaurant, I do quick add. My feeling is, log it as accurately as you can, but never be afraid you're going to go over your calorie goal. We all do and it shows us what we might need to cut back on, or weigh out food more accurately.
    - Get a food scale. It takes all of two seconds to weigh your food, but your calories will be more accurate.

I hope that helps!
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I log it in before I eat. I know mine is not completely accurate because I don't have a food scale, but I try to log higher than what I think.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I log everything in the morning either before I leave for work or when I'm eating breakfast.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    It's just so quick on the phone it's really no bother.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I usually log as I'm stuffing my face hahaha. Or right after I clean up my mess. If it's something with a barcode on it I'll just scan it real quick and add it while the packaging is in my hand still.

just a commitment thing more than anything.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I pre-log everything. There's no point in logging it afterwards and finding it doesn't fit my day.

Same. I make my lunches the night before but when I get in to work about 20 min early, I take 5 min to plug it all in to MFP. It also shows me what allotment I have for dinner. (I will delete at the end of the day if I don't eat something)
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I log as I go. I log my breakfast first thing in the morning at my desktop, log on my cell phone while I am out for the day, and finish logging before I go to bed. I sync all devices.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I kept a diary, I found it best to pre-log and thus plan my days ahead of time...so the evening before I would sit down and log what I intended to eat the following day...sometimes things would change, but I generally stuck to the plan...maybe it would end up being potatoes instead of rice or something for dinner...stuff like that.

Generally speaking, going in with an actual plan is going to produce better results than just doing things on the fly. I would wager that most people here who've had the greatest success and sustained success are also planners.

a2b9d67c0625e1c76086df77b0abc081.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUuM9-lR2y3YxNZB6WzuZsZ_E___eK9d38irzNcMQHYXhyBDwu

quotation-stephen-keague-preparation-performance-planning-meetville-quotes-54731.jpg

dig-the-well-before-you-are-thirsty-quote-1.jpg
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    if I don't get to it during the day, I do it at bedtime or the next day. I try and do it the minute I eat.
  • samiraeh08
    samiraeh08 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Generally speaking, going in with an actual plan is going to produce better results than just doing things on the fly.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUuM9-lR2y3YxNZB6WzuZsZ_E___eK9d38irzNcMQHYXhyBDwu

I completely agree. You have to have a plan.You can say "OK I'm going to eat better," but if you don't have a specific plan, you will be more likely to stick with your old eating habits. Just because you forgot your lunch once is not a reason to stop making your lunch. Keep at it, and your habits will get better over time. Don't expect to be a pro right away. Eventually you will want to eat the healthier foods, and logging your diet will help you see where your nutrition is lacking, and holds you accountable for your choices.

• karma8008
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I'll try a couple of things you suggested and see what works for me :)