Exercise bike or treadmill

Options
What is better to use for getting back in the exercise routine a treadmill or exercise bike? I'm trying to decide between the two. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    Treadmill will burn more calories per minute simply because you are standing (not sitting), and often completely off the ground constantly, however, the bike is preferred if you have joint issues or lingering leg issues.

Or you could just alternate between the two.:-D
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    I think they can both be great, just depends on which you enjoy more - that's really the secret, finding something you enjoy enough to stick with regularly. But why one or the other? Why not a mix of the two? That's what I do at my gym - some days I'll do 20 minutes on the bike, 20 on the treadmill, 20 on the elliptical - I enjoy the variety. Whichever you choose, try to incorporate intervals (faster spurts with slower recovery times) to maximize the calorie burn.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    If you are looking to purchase one or the other - purchase the bike and walk outdoors. That way you get the best of both worlds. However, if I were going to purchase one piece of equipment today - an eliptical. It burns more calories per session than almost anything else.

Whatever you choose - enjoy!
  • mrrodriguez
    mrrodriguez Posts: 158
    Options
    I have an exercise bike now, but I really miss my treadmill. I go through spurts of liking one or the other. I like to go to the gym where I can use either one or an elliptical. If you are walking a treadmill is nice b/c even with bad weather you can walk. I think I go longer on the bike.
  • borichfan
    borichfan Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I had an exercise bike once but sold it, because it was very boring to me just sitting there pedaling. Got tiresome on my butt too, and i felt like i was burning no calories much doing that. I like my treadmill better, burns alot more calories.
  • rrmarx
    rrmarx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I am leaning more toward a treadmill! Thanks for the input :)